Stacks Docklet

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matonga,

I can't really tell whether this thread is only meant to be for suggestions for improvement, but I, like others, can only express my deep gratitude for this work you're sharing with us. Sure, I'd like a heap of things too, virtual folders, customizable icons, 1 large french fries, a quarter-pounder & a large coke (no - make that a strawberry milkshake - no, wait, umm...) - of course all *free*, but the things I've thought about have already been mentioned by others...

You have obvious passion for what you're doing! (my favourite Matonga quote: "More to come in a couple of hours, as now I have to go the supermarket and then have dinner")...

Your generosity, ingenuity and not least your humility is simply an inspiration. If aqua-soft hands out awards for "developer of the year", you would win by a mile.

Regards, Poul Nyrup

There's a small bug when using it with Avedesk....It's actually a bug that you've got to go out of the way too find and I don't actually think it needs to be bothered about, but here's how to get it:

click the stack icon repetedly (an odd no. of times)

while the stack grid is moving in and out, move your mouse away from the screen to make the grid vanish.

click the stack again, if done correctly, the stack grid will fold into the icon and stay there, overlapping anthing on the screen all the time.

I know it's a bit hard to explain, but the bug does exist, :D

post-62115-1200385853_thumb.jpg

(...) when I move the mouse outside the Dock in the Left or Right side, the dock will autohide. (...)

Didn't know the dock autohided by left / right side.

Now the stack will close whenever it detects the dock gone outside all screens (stacks has multimonitor support).

Didn't know the dock autohided by left / right side.

Now the stack will close whenever it detects the dock gone outside all screens (stacks has multimonitor support).

That doesn't sound right, because now the stacks are just going to continually open and close on autohide docks. The auto-hide dock needs to retain focus while a stack is open - an open stack needs the force the dock to stay visible and only when the stack is closed will the dock hide. The problem is when you open a stack on an autohide dock sometimes when you move your mouse up to click something in the stack, the dock hides... and now with this update the stack is going to close as well so you can see the problem I'm anticipating.

Also, I've uploaded a mock up of how the "stacked" dock icon could look for the stacks docklet. I think Leopard shows the first 3 icons in the stack "layered". Then when you click the stack they "spread" up with the others which fade in to view to become a grid/fan. The drawer icon is set as the first icon in a stack on leopard to give the drawer effect. However with this docklet you have the opportunity to specify a "default" icon for stack docklets which appears as the foremost icon and the the first 3 icons that appear in the stack an be "layered" behind that. You could then set this "default" icon as a drawer icon so you'd get the effect I have in my mockup.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to describe lol, because I think this would be the "cherry on top" for this brilliant docklet.

post-67544-1200394279_thumb.jpg

an open stack needs the force the dock to stay visible and only when the stack is closed will the dock hide.

There is no way to implement that. There is no DockletSetAutohide( ) or like function, sadly, so as far as ObjectDock doesn't add something like that, I'm completely unable to do it. I had done pretty work trying to circumvent this problem, and hopefully it works in most cases.

Also, I've uploaded a mock up of how the "stacked" dock icon could look for the stacks docklet.

I already know this. Stay tuned ;) (there is something in the air... sorry I meant dock)

Edit:

The server is down... temporal link:

http://www.matiasmoreno.bbt.net.ar/stackdo...-2008-01-15.zip

Edit:

Temporal link with broken file... reuploading...

Edit:

Reuploaded file to temporal location. Tested. Ok. My server is still down :( will contact tech supp.

There is no way to implement that. There is no DockletSetAutohide( ) or like function, sadly, so as far as ObjectDock doesn't add something like that, I'm completely unable to do it. I had done pretty work trying to circumvent this problem, and hopefully it works in most cases.

OK well I guess change it back so stacks stay open, because now mine are just closing when I try to move off the dock and click something in them :/ it's unusable so I'm going back to a previous version, but I don't really want to have to stay on this version.

EDIT: the dock stays "up" if you wait for the stack to fully open before moving the mouse up to it. As long as your mouse doesn't venture to the left or right of the dock it wont autohide again, so what is causing the dock to stay up while stacks are open here? and can this not be altered so that it comes in to effect the instant the stacks docklet is activated (as soon as the animation begins, because if you move your mouse out before the stacks open it hides). The problem of it auto-hiding when you go to the left or the right isn't too bad, because generally if your mouse is there you aren't going to be accessing a stack. But the auto-hide when you move out of the dock as a stack is opening really hurts the usability.

thx matonga! nice feature (auto closing at hiding) works really good!

another (not important!) bug:

when choosing an icon (rklauncher build 282, vista 32bit) the normal rk-icon-selecting window comes up. when u choose an icon which is NOT in the "path to rkliconsfile.png" but for example in "path to rkliconsset onefile.png" it "forget" to put in the icons folder... the result "path to rklset onefile.png" ... this path does not exist off course]

sorry for my poor English :( i hope u understand it :P

greets fyton5

Hi again Matonga

Perhaps a solution to DieseL_1988 problems may be to force the stack to stay open (It must not follow the Dock)when the Dock autohide, so the stack will not hide before you select a program in the stack or desktop, or click on the the desktop. See picture stack008.jpg

The version from 1 Jan the stack did stay open when the Dock autohide, but the stack did not keep it's position.

And perhaps only Autohide the stack when you move the mouse outside the Dock left/right side, this works fine now. It is only when you move your mouse up on the desktop (this will autohide the Dock if it is set to: hide off Screen when not in use) autohide the stack may not be that good however, if you can remove the delay your mouse needs (to avoid the stack to autohide) before you can move up and select the icon in the stack, this will be the best solution I believe.

Update: it looks like if you move your mouse very slow autohide works fine, only if you move fast (As I do) the stack continually open and close on autohide docks. If you can fix this, autohide the stack will be perfect and there may be no need to force the stack to stay open when the Dock autohide.

As smelth said, open sub folders in a new stack (fan or grid) will be great too.

The picture is made of two pictures in PhotoShop to show you what I mean.

Again thanks for great docklets

post-74392-1200423138_thumb.jpg

(please say if you don't want any more bug reports ;) just trying to help)

another bug:

(rklauncher build 282, vista 32bit)

when putting the dock on the left side of the screen, the dock has to be restarted before the stack comes out on the right place. but when putting it on the right side, restart, open a stack the icons are totally out of place.. u see them in the left screencorner and then they animate out of screen

EDIT: weird... no restart is needed anymore after you've restarted the dock for the first time (first bug)

greets fyton5

Great job. Pitty it has so little settings.

It would rock if you could implement:

Under Icon settings:

-files to include ( *.mp3, *.avi,... )

-files to exclude ( *.ini, *.dll,... )

Under Global settings:

What to do when clicked on folder... I always open folders with C:WinExplorer.exe /e, %1. So it shows folders tree automatically.

thanx. Great job again.