HTC Touch vs. iPhone

http://www.daretotouchhtc.com/

Ok for one, I'm going to make this post simple....

Basically windows mobile, and the companies that manufacture phones for windows mobile OS, along with the companies that sell them (i.e verizon or something) Have had sales plumet to the ground apon the release of the iphone.

Their comeback: The HTC Touch

Now lets make this an obvious factor, windows mobile is a very slow and unstable os for any cellphone.

Windows Mobile does a lot of neat stuff, and one day maybe a very good fast running os for a phone, but not now; and not in the past.

Ive used windows mobile devices for years before the iPhone came out, and it was great. But it locked up alot, and slowed down the more applications I opened.

The new htc touch, hmmm... well it's running windows mobile, and then they added another program that must run all the time, called Touch, another word for big fancy stuck over windows blinds program. that's a pretty hefty call for ram and processing.

I would also like to add a note about the lovely keyboard they have installed. Instead of a full keyboard, it's a duel digit, (another words having to hit the same key twice to get the letter you want) Sounds like a candy bar phone on crack.

They have also applied the speaker to the back of the phone: most likely to be covered by some cute case, with sparkles and glitter all over it; or even the inside of your pocket.

The interface design is some what simple, but then they added all kinda little stuff all over the place. This takes up valuable space on a finger touch screen. Oh wait they give you a stylus. (Note: Another thing to keep buying after you buy the phone! Oh how many times I have lost mine - Maybe they will offer them in colors for the cellphone accessories lover.)

In short, this phone would have been freaking awesome if the iphone was never invented. I would have been waiting in line on the day of release hoping to get my hands on one.

But the time of windows mobile devices has come to an end (For now anyway), and a new way more sophisticated design that has made life so much easier has came out shined.

(Note: This post was created for notes on the usability, design, and stability, of the phone. Not what the phone can do, software wise, price wise, or network wise.)

I've been using the Touch for a while now and have grown to like it a lot. While it could certainly do with more ram/processing power, it's sufficient for the most part, and the Touch interface that it pastes over Windows Mobile is worth the speed sacrifice (and is great) as far as i'm concerned. However if you've got fat fingers i wouldn't recommend it.

Also i like the availability of software on the Touch (Windows Mobile), and the overall shape of the handset is much more pleasant than the iPhone (in my opinion). Having a call/hang up and directional buttons is also a nice convenience the iPhone doesn't have in its quest for a button-less interface.

Most importantly though, i'm not really sure why you're comparing them; the iPhone isn't competition for the Touch and vice versa. Just because they both use touch screens doesn't make them competitive devices, just like we don't compare desktops and laptops becuase they both use mice.

And lastly "Have had sales plumet to the ground" is complete bollocks :P

Now lets make this an obvious factor, windows mobile is a very slow and unstable os for any cellphone.

Really??? It works great on the Palm Treo 750, the Moto Q, the Wing and a boatload of other cell phones.

And if it was "so unstable" why is it still the poplular

But the time of windows mobile devices has come to an end (For now anyway), and a new way more sophisticated design that has made life so much easier has came out shined.

Your opinion I take it.

The iPhone, in it's current state, is out classed by every 3G Windows Mobile phone out there.

OK... the browser is cool... kinda. But it's still slower than dog poo on the EDGE network.

Haven't played with a Touch yet, so I have no opinion on it.

• 6 months later...

LOL This is a funny post!!

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT HAD A TOUCH!

I have had the HTC Touch since it came out!! I LOVE THIS PHONE!! It has never locked up on me mainly because i know how to run ANYTHING with Windows on it!! some don't understand that a phone with windows on it is just like a computer,

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER RUNNING ALL THE TIME WITHOUT RESETING IT?? AND WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LEAVE ALL OF YOUR APPLICATIONS RUNNING ON YOUR COMPUTER??

IT STARTS TO RUN SLOW!!!!

This is why when you have a phone like the Touch or even the IPhone(with the apple os) if you leave your apps running all the time and never do a simple soft reset then yes the phone will become slow!! that is going to be with any os system!!

Now about the keyboard.. WELL THERE IS ONLY ONE THING TO SAY ABOUT THAT.. XT9 PEOPLE!!!!everyone these days should know how to use, and if they don't they need to learn!!!! I have never used the stylus on my phone, and if I do lose it oh well, they gave me 2~!!

about the speaker phone, I have my phone in a leather flip case 24-7 i talk on my speaker phone to my mother everyday when i get off work driving home with the phone sitting in my lap!!! NO PROBLEMS THERE!!

oh and the memory!! this is the best part!! MY TOUCH HAS 8G!! IF YOU KNOW HOW TO WORK THE WINDOWS SYSTEM ON A PHONE ANY PHONE CAN GET 4G, 8G, OR EVEN 16G ON THEIR PHONE!!

I LOVE THE TOUCH, YOU LOVE THE IPHONE!! I'M NOT TALKING CRAP ABOUT THE IPHONE I'M SURE IT IS A GREAT PDA ! JUST LIKE THE TOUCH IS A GREAT PDA!

I do know one thing though

I DON'T GO ON THREADS WHERE THE WHOLE WORLD CAN SEE AND MAKE A FOOL OUT OF MYSELF AND TALK ABOUT SOMETHING THAT I OBVIOUSLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!! ;)