Keeping Your PC Healthy - Manifest

Super Topic.

As nearly everything I do has been mentioned I'll contribute a little tip for CCleaner.

If your going to use it try the Slim version Or you could even use the portable version if your trying fix someone else PC.

It doesn't have the tool bar or any other extras included.

Unfortunately the slim version is English only.

I also run Spybot SD weekly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i found a great solution to my disk cleanup hanging for long periods trying to compress over 7GB of data, remove the "compress old files" function from it will save you a lot of time:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248

remember when using disk cleanup to use the 2nd tab at the top as well, removing system restores may be risky if you've been fiddling with windows, but it got me back a lot of space (especially when i haven't been fiddling).

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

lol phantom i even do it now.. i know its not good but i cant help it. and with my macbook . its just the CMD+SHIFT+DEL..:D its so easy.. and then ENTER too.. i mean i cant stop doing that .. but the thing is that i know what files i am not gonna want anymore.. so now its very rare that i delete something and then i want it back.

And i din know Disk Cleanup and Defrag can help me this much.. ima try it for sure.. (sorry i know thats something stupid. But i just had soo much of free space in my computer i never thought of doing it.) I have more than 600 GB free and another 200 on my external..:D

If you’re stuck using XP, suspect you have infections, and don’t want to reformat, and have plenty of time, the following tools kick ***.

OSAM (http://www.online-solutions.ru/en/osam_autorun_manager.php)

This tool will detect and fix Trojan and root kit startup entries that your standard antivirus and Hijack This do not. (tip for use: Run the scan, UNcheck entries you want to fix then press apply). Freeware.

Ice Sword (http://antirootkit.com/software/IceSword.htm)

One of the most powerful tools available to detect and remove rootkits, but for ‘advanced’ users (people who have time to Google dll’s for their function). Instructions here for the daring/obsessed: (http://www.castlecops.com/t165203-IceSword...llustrated.html). Freeware.

Now if you feel you have a clean PC .. i suggest you don't go to any of the sites which might be "infected/unhealthy" and keep NOD32 running!.. thats the way to go guys!

Believe me i have NOD32 on my XP system and haven't had a format for over 1.5/2 years! serious!

@iApple: You're welcome! I recommended this program to many of my friends and gave them the trial version and they went ahead and bought it online! they said they loved it too!

• 1 month later...
Here's a tip: Empty your trash once a week, at most.

You never know if you're gonna need that one specific file again.

I got into the dirty habit of emptying my trash whenever there was something in it. Then when I wanted to go back and get it, it was gone. Had to stop that :P

You say "trash" so I assume you're using Mac OSX. I too have the same OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) of emptying the trash...

My solution came in the form of time machine, works a treat for those lost/deleted files... theres only a few 'special' folders I dont keep monitored ;)

@ s33nagain - Thats a great app but I wish to add 'Defragmenting' is no longer really necessary in todays operating systems (Windows XP+).

In the old days, when computers were slower, and hard drives had slower spin speeds- defragmenting worked because it put important information/data closer to the edge of the disk, making it quicker to access by the spindle (because it had less distance to travel).

These days the OS is a lot better in organizing your disk, thus clutter isn't put in all random places and furthermore Hard Drives spin much faster.

Therefor there's no notable speed difference before/after defragmenting.

You should however still defragment once every... 6 months? or so as clutter will still build up in places. A good way to tell, is to get the defragmenting program to 'analyse' the drive first- if it says you should defragment, then do, but if not then Don't.

That said there are FAR better ways to keep your computer running fast and smoothly.

You say "trash" so I assume you're using Mac OSX. I too have the same OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) of emptying the trash...

My solution came in the form of time machine, works a treat for those lost/deleted files... theres only a few 'special' folders I dont keep monitored

Correct. But I have the same OCD in my winboxes and penguinboxes.