Buy now, or wait for Leopard?

Hi,

I've been wanting to purchase a mac for a while now, but I was wondering whether it would be worth the wait and get Leopard pre-installed on the system, than to just buy one now and have to buy leopard at a later date? Has a final release date actually been annouced yet, because isn't it supposed to be out sometime this month?

What should I do?

Thanks

Jj

Just my 2 cents worth, wait. I know I am.

We've waited this long for the new release, I'm sure it's going to be announced very soon.

Yeah I know Apple will more than likely do an upgrade package for most people who have bought one recently but I will be nice to a new shinny one with Leopard installed.

What have you got to lose waiting?

the only thing really putting me off is transparent finder bar......although im sure my opinion will change when i get it and use it!

Really!? I find it quite appealing and softer on the eyes. From the screenshots on the news page [and some googling] Leopard looks as if it is coming on great.

BACK ON TOPIC|

Well I think I will definately wait for Leopard to be pre-installed instead of installing it myself even if it is free from Apple.

Jj

Don't forget....the wait will be followed by an additional wait for the pre-installed shipments to arrive. The day it's released, the chances of in-stock pre-installed items will be slim to none.

There has not been an official release date announced.

I'll probably wait for the smoke to settle and then buy the new OS for my MacBook.

(BTW....10/26 is the full moon)

Yes, but i vaguely remember when tiger was realeased (I may be totally wrong) that as soon as Tiger was released that the site was updated so all of the macs said they would come with the new OS (Tiger) but they shipped the old macs with panther still on them and people had to apply or summit to get a tiger upgrade for free, because they brought it after the realease of the new OS.

I may be wrong I can't remember it too well. . .

Jj

hmmmm... funny two days ago I saw couple of independent blogs with Oct. 26 as date. Now I can't find them in google (my history is cleared automatically everytime I close FF).

Anyway, I didn't post any news over it as I couldn't find any reliable source to the news... so what I told you.. well, you can say that I fed you a rumor ;)

As for pre-installed stuff, Apple might update the site immediately.. but there is always some difference in Announcement and Availability. Looking at current record of Apple, they like to announce before shipping. It might not happen with OS although I guess, but pre-installed comps might not be readily available in stores on the announcement day.

Well I did some researching on the Leopard release date and The Apple Blog seem to think it should be this October (http://tinyurl.com/ypdvk7) and apparently Think Secret are also saying the same thing (http://tinyurl.com/38o8xm); also Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/23eph4) have put a "Please Note" on the Leopard page saying:

"PLEASE NOTE: This product is expected to ship sometime in October. . ."

So it is looking good for us that Leopard will be releasing sometime this month.

Jj

Yup I cant wait! The screenshots I have found of Leopard are looking great! I even found an old post of the old fake Leopard screenshots on some of the mac rumour sites. Quite a few looked pretty real, but then I read the whole post and saw they were fake, lol.

Quick update:

My daughter just bought herself MacBook today, just the basic one.

I was quizzing the shop asst. about Leopard and he couldn't confirm a date, but he's heard the 28th.

The deal she got was top notch, MB, apple care plus her nano for £720. She also gets £85 back for the nano part too. All this because she's a student. She'll also get a free upgrade to Leopard when it's released. The apple care was only £58 too, oh to be a student again.

All in all she's a very happy bunny.

PS the new iLife08 is just cool.

Quick update:

My daughter just bought herself MacBook today, just the basic one.

I was quizzing the shop asst. about Leopard and he couldn't confirm a date, but he's heard the 28th.

The deal she got was top notch, MB, apple care plus her nano for £720. She also gets £85 back for the nano part too. All this because she's a student. She'll also get a free upgrade to Leopard when it's released. The apple care was only £58 too, oh to be a student again.

All in all she's a very happy bunny.

PS the new iLife08 is just cool.

That was a pretty sweet deal, and to get Leopard too - I am no OFFICIALLY jealous lol. Now that the release date seems soo close i'm going to wait it out. there are alot of dates going around about the announcement, maybe Apple will surprise us with a date!

Jj

That seems too good to be true, and that would genrally mean it is fake. The new iMac they have on there only costs $1270 dollars but in the Apple online store the same model costs $1799. how can this shop manage to sell the iMac at such a discount and still make some sort of profit viable for them running that store?

Jj