DeskSpace 1.5.1 - 3D Virtual Desktop

deskspace_logo.gif

Otaku Software is proud to announce the release of DeskSpace 1.5.1, a Beryl/Compiz-like 3D virtual desktop for Windows. You can click here to download the DeskSpace 1.5.1 trial, and click here to buy DeskSpace at the Otaku Software Online Store.

deskspace_graphic_logo_1.jpg

DeskSpace dramatically enhances your desktop experience, allowing you to:

• Work and play on multiple desktops.
  • Display multiple desktops in stunning 3D.
  • Quickly switch between desktops using the mouse and keyboard.
  • Drag windows between desktops by moving them to the sides of the screen.
  • Display desktops in 3D on multiple monitors.
  • Configure the hot keys and mouse buttons used to switch between desktops, and how DeskSpace displays and manages desktop.
  • Use DeskSpace in multiple languages.

deskspace_graphic_logo_2.jpg

If you'd like to find out more about DeskSpace, please click here.

I've tried the betas but didn't have much time to test them out fully. Thought I'd give the new trial a shot and while it does seem faster I noticed a very strange bug straight off the bat that would definitely cause me not to buy it!

On start up, if I enter the switching mode (Cntrl+Alt+Shift) and hold down the left mouse button, I am able to move the Deskscapes window around. I'm sure this is a conflict with TaekWindows which gives me X-windows like window positioning but it's a problem... I would assume there would be a way to force the main DeskScape window to stay in one position and not allow for moving?

Also another a possible bug. I have my taskbar set to the top position. When I try moving a window to another desktop, I can see the cube form but my taskbar also stay on top.

Good luck with it all but...until somehting along the lines of Compiz, where it's a full-on window manager, comes to Windows I'm afraid this sort of thing will always fall short.

Sranshaft: We'll look into the window positioning problem and see if we can come up with a solution. Please note it's not a DeskSpace bug - it's a 3rd party application forcing the DeskSpace window to move position.

We'll look at the taskbar bug and see if we can reproduce it.

We're aiming to eventually provide full Compiz-like functionality, but it will take time to get there. In the mean time, TopDesk and DeskSpace will get you the closest you can come to Compiz/Beryl on Windows :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm am happy to see someone do this for Windows finally. I had tried Beryl on linux but i did not want to switch to linux just for that. Considering i'm a gammer and not realy any gamming on linux just yet. anyways i can't wait to try it out and if it works well i will be purchasing it. Good show creators. (-: also not sure if someone will reply befor i get home but this is compatible with Windows Vista right? and should work a ultimate 64 bit?

There's plenty of gaming on Linux with great apps like Cedaga and Wine. They support all the top games and if it doesn't happen to, the great thing about linux is that with a little code knowledge you can make it support the game and contribute back to the community.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Certianly not worth paying for, To just pull Yod'm as freeware and say "hey come pay for this now" is insane, I think you should have allowed yod'm to be freely downloaded still and just improved this to make it worth paying for, I have Beryl set up on my ubuntu laptop, i'm happy with that.

Beryl will kick anything short of something that hooks into windows and uses the DWM to it's max's ass, though. Even then, it's one of the most useful yet creative things in the comuting world.

Cubedesktop is much nicer, it looks better, and functions better, but it isn't very stable...