Vista Alt-tab style on XP

other than the obvious quesiton of "um.... Why...?" theres no on/off feature to remove the thumbnails in "Alt-tab" window viewer in vista besides turning off Aero completely,

eh... i think i have to rephrase it completely....

i want the vista alt-tab look on windows xp... any software that makes that?

To get the vista version, you really just have to get vista as xp doesn't use vista's dwm.

How's that answer the question? He wants Vista Alt+Tab on XP.

You can find some knockoffs that are not too efficient, though.

Care to share what these apps are?

Efficiency is relative. Since most people don't look beyond Task Manager to find out how much load Alt-tab actually is. Also, most replacements do a lot more than Alt-tab alone does.

How's that answer the question? He wants Vista Alt+Tab on XP.

i know about that so any ideas to obtain the vista version?

^ I believe I did answer the question. Or should I have included a link?

Care to share what these apps are?

Efficiency is relative. Since most people don't look beyond Task Manager to find out how much load Alt-tab actually is. Also, most replacements do a lot more than Alt-tab alone does.

There is the previously mention Windows Powertoy.

There is TaskSwitchXP?.

There is AltSwitch.

I have not tested the latter two and prefer the default.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually been tinkering with something that does something like this. I'll make sure to let you know how progress is coming along.

Quick question: Is everyone looking for a 1 to 1 clone of Alt-Tab for Windows or a clone for that found on Mac? Or both? Keep in mind this would be developed for XP primarily therefore Live Previews would be something I wouldn't be considering in the near future.

Ojalord

That's right. it's not Flip 3D which has been mentioned. Enhanced Switcher in Beryl is smth close to what was asked. By the way that bluring background can be easily made for XP. I'll give you an example. When you upload your pictures with Picasa you can see the rest of the screen blurred.

And as has been mentioned, it's not Flip3d that is being requested for here...

@Sranshaft, what about a one-to-one mac style look or something like the alt-tab switcher that Beryl comes with on linux (a macish one but with live previews and stuff, I think) featured here, http://www.beryl-project.org/features.php

Ojalord

That's right. it's not Flip 3D which has been mentioned. Enhanced Switcher in Beryl is smth close to what was asked. By the way that bluring background can be easily made for XP. I'll give you an example. When you upload your pictures with Picasa you can see the rest of the screen blurred.

That's actually what I'm working on. At the moment it darkens the screen background behind the thumbnails but I don't see why I couldn't add in a blur effect as well. As for live previews, it'll essentially be set to a timer to take thumbnails of the windows using PrintWindow. I really don't think I'll be able to get Vista-like live previewing...