Who's using my wireless?

Howdy guys had a bit of a look round and i couldnt find anything that really answered my qestion. I want an easy way to find out who is using my network and if anyone how much data they are throwing around.

few things to help you along. Im on a Mac so if there is widget all of this tat would be great also i have a password set that you seem to need to join the Wi-Fi connection so im not sure if i have already encrypted it.

Anymore infomatoin tat people think might be useful on this mater let me know and i'll see wat i can do

Cheers guys ^_^

MAC filtering is pretty much pointless. It's incredibly easy to spoof a MAC address and get access - anyone with 10 minutes and google could do it.

Your router should support WPA2 - get that set up on it, disable broadcasting the SSID and it'll be much more secure.

This is how I protect my wireless network at home, I'm on a Netgear router and I'm a Mac user as well

1. Hide SSID

2. WEP

3. MAC filtering (only allow known devices to connect to the network)

4. Disable the router's DHCP server and use manual IPs instead

I do sometimes disable WEP because of my mum's laptop running SUSE linux which doesn't support WEP (at least her version doesn't, I can't be bothered looking into Linux stuff as it is so unorganised)

Hope that helps.

Curious, as to that I've never disabled my SSID broadcasting, how would I set up a PC accordingly to connect to the Network when it won't be listed?

You know what it's called, so just add the network manually in the properties of the network adapter. (On Windows anyway, I'm sure the equivalent is there somewhere probably more accessable and easier to do on a Mac ;) )

MAC filtering is pretty much pointless. It's incredibly easy to spoof a MAC address and get access - anyone with 10 minutes and google could do it.

Your router should support WPA2 - get that set up on it, disable broadcasting the SSID and it'll be much more secure.

Yes but, how would they know what MAC address to spoof to get access? (not trying to challenge your point, just would like some clarification if anyone MAC address filtering is truely pointless?)

To Access your Netgear I believe you need to log into the router and the menus are really quite self explanatory from there.

Go to your Internet Browser: you need the routers IP just type in the address bar

It should then ask you for A user ID and Password

If its still stock factory settings this is usually

ADMIN

Password

Well to me its whatever works. When we first went wireless about 4 years ago, we we're unsecured. No WEP, no WPA, no MAC, nothing. We had about 4 guys stealing our internet.

Now we just use MAC filtering....it keeps people out. So thats all we need at the moment.

Someone gets in? Then I will add more security in addition to what I am using now.

If it's people connecting to the router, then the router has a built-in feature that lets you monitor all the IP address allocated. It should show you the computer name, IP address allocated to it and MAC address. Log on to the router interface, and locate any tabs marked "Statistics" or "Logs". Using someones connection without permission is mighty illegal, so if you decide to take it to court, you're already one step ahead in providing proof of misuse. But good luck in catching the bastards. Chances are they are mobile themselves. I don't think a neighbour would be stupid enough to tap into ur connection.