New Finder Clone

I while ago I attempted to make a complete Suite for the PC that would add alot of shell replacement and extra visual appearance to clone the Mac.

I completed iSound, iJect and a few other projects which I kept under wraps for later release. I was also working on a Finder Clone, but found some coding a little too long for the time I had. Now, with some free time coming up; I would like to see if there are any VB programmers out there, or if there are any programmers who can create active X for VB. If all goes well, I could have an identical, fast working clone within a matter of days.

Please give me some feedback to work with, as I think this time (with the right help and support) we could get the clone weve always been looking for!

TM

Sounds like an ambitious project and I wish you much luck.

Quick question: Will it be skinned using the Windows theme or is custom skinning going to be utilized? I only ask because while I would love to use it, I try to only use programs that are skinned by the current Windows theme. This keeps everything looking nice and I don't have to worry about making another skin if I decide to change themes. :)

Sounds like an ambitious project and I wish you much luck.

Quick question: Will it be skinned using the Windows theme or is custom skinning going to be utilized? I only ask because while I would love to use it, I try to only use programs that are skinned by the current Windows theme. This keeps everything looking nice and I don't have to worry about making another skin if I decide to change themes. :)

Well the last finder clone I made was themed by windows, but I think im going to take the other route this time of making it fully skinnable, simply for accuracy.

What languages do you program in?

I program completely in C# now. I remember tinkering with VB back in the day - the day being 1996 or there abouts so I'm sure I'd be little help unfortunately. :(

Any chance, depending on the complexity, of allowing for Windows theming along with skinning? How close are you planning on getting: ie. the new Coverflow feature, Quicklook, etc?

Well, Lepoard features will be difficult, but no doubt easier to plan when I have the framework of the program actually there... I was thinking of maybe combining XML and flash for the Coverflow part, as Flash is brilliant at that kind of animation and also reading external sources.

Can you program ActiveX controls in Chash(no hash key on my keyboard :S)?

• 3 weeks later...

With coverflow, what are the chances of that working? I don't think it was open source before apple bought it, but if it was you could probably find a download for the source of the last non-apple version...

However I'm 99% sure that would be illegal and apple would come and kick your ass.

Also, probably make it skinnable if you aren't already, so the defalt skin isn't leopard... otherwise it makes apple more likely to attack you. (Ah, good memories of the aquaapps) However I don't think that's likely as such a thing only happened to jef (I think...)

Good luck. I don't think there has ever been a perfect finder clone... hopefully this can be the first!! =P

• 2 weeks later...