Skinning windows 98 - free!

Sorry to be rude... But why even bother with windows 98, it is nearly ten years old. I am sure windows XP must have dropped in price now Vista has come out. Shop around (Ebay, PCWorld, Chinese dude who comes in your local) I am sure you will find an excellent deal.

Thanks.

Scott.

Sorry to hear you think your PC isn't up to a more up to date OS.

I've got 10 year old PC, 466 processor and it happily runs W2K and XP, and it's been modded to look like a Mac too, I've even had flyakite on it.

I think you should really try and get your hands on a more up to date OS. You will find there is a greater opportunity to mod and add things to it.

Good luck in your quest ;)

Come on man you can clearly see there are very little users 98 here, keep this sort of stuff over at MSFN and MDGx community.

He's just trying to be helpful. One time I was stuck with Windows98 (now I'm stuck with XP :D) and I would of been glad to be able to skin it.

~Jordan

the reply to your question is NO, nobody here uses windows 98®, pretty much everyone has followed the trend and migrated to either xp or vista. IMO, even if you found someone that's still using windows 98® they wouldn't be able to make the skin for you because all decent skinners/themers have got their PC updated to later Windows OS or switched over to the brighter side of the world.

Not trying to be rude at all, but I guess you should give up the idea of skinning windows 98® because

1. it's old

2. it sucks

3. nobody uses it

4. it doesn't support nothing

5. it's Windows 98 ®

the reply to your question is NO, nobody here uses windows 98®, pretty much everyone has followed the trend and migrated to either xp or vista. IMO, even if you found someone that's still using windows 98® they wouldn't be able to make the skin for you because all decent skinners/themers have got their PC updated to later Windows OS or switched over to the brighter side of the world.

Not trying to be rude at all, but I guess you should give up the idea of skinning windows 98® because

1. it's old

2. it sucks

3. nobody uses it

4. it doesn't support nothing

5. it's Windows 98 ®

I think you should read this: http://www.mdgx.com/spx/

2. it sucks

Doesnt this apply to XP and Vista too?

I think you should read this: http://www.mdgx.com/spx/

Doesnt this apply to XP and Vista too?

The word "millions" really stuck out in that first paragraph:

Please help the millions of Windows 98/98 SE/ME users survive by posting this campaign promo at news + blog web sites and public forums.

This is *not* a promotion for my site *nor* any other web site/forum/blog/etc.

This is *not* a request for Microsoft to reconsider providing support for Windows 98/98 SE/ME.

This is just a guide to available Windows 98/98 SE/ME updates, tips, fixes and web sites that provide everything needed to run 98/98 SE/ME OSes.

~Jordan

did I say "nobody HERE"?? i don't care about other communities, i was referring to OUR aqua-soft forums as he was asking for Mac themes... Where could you find decent Mac themes for windows apart from aqua-soft?

that website is full of nitwits anyway :P

Why do guys uses Win 98 ? There is Windows 200 for low-end computers, it runs so well, OK theres less customisation that 98 with the Lupus project (this one really impressed me).

Windows 2000 can handle an dock, can handle unicode very easily, it can handle the most recent games (even supreme commander if you install the two missing dlls from XP !)

You should really switch to Win 2000 if you need an old OS for old computers (nothing wrong about that, just look at what they use at school :P)

Anyway, I don't think my 1996 computer with 600mb of hard disk wich cannot run Half Life in 320x240 without lag will handle the Lupus project xD

But sure, if you use Windows ME, you'd better go back to 98 ^^

Why do guys uses Win 98 ? There is Windows 200 for low-end computers, it runs so well, OK theres less customisation that 98 with the Lupus project (this one really impressed me).

Windows 2000 can handle an dock, can handle unicode very easily, it can handle the most recent games (even supreme commander if you install the two missing dlls from XP !)

You should really switch to Win 2000 if you need an old OS for old computers (nothing wrong about that, just look at what they use at school :P)

Anyway, I don't think my 1996 computer with 600mb of hard disk wich cannot run Half Life in 320x240 without lag will handle the Lupus project xD

But sure, if you use Windows ME, you'd better go back to 98 ^^

Or you could just install ubuntu, xubuntu, puppy linux and everyones happy.

Or you could just install ubuntu, xubuntu, puppy linux and everyones happy.

Well, the lastest versions of Gnome and KDE are quite heavy on ram, I wanted to say Linux too but it's not that noob friendly (I don't know if you are one) and you may need Windows-Only progs, Wine would surely run slow on an old computer so just use Win 2000 if you need windows ;)

Well, the lastest versions of Gnome and KDE are quite heavy on ram, I wanted to say Linux too but it's not that noob friendly (I don't know if you are one) and you may need Windows-Only progs, Wine would surely run slow on an old computer so just use Win 2000 if you need windows ;)

Well in fact I am a linux newbie my self and I found it quite easy to use especialy puppy linux which uses the light weight Joes Window Manager. Even with ubuntu you dont have to use gnome you can use XFCE desktop, ROX, or any other light desktops out there. As for windows only programs that it is very unliky that you wluld need to use these these days as the open source alternatives are just as good, the only thing you need to use windows for is games, and your not going to do that on a low powerd PC anyway.

Well in fact I am a linux newbie my self and I found it quite easy to use especialy puppy linux which uses the light weight Joes Window Manager. Even with ubuntu you dont have to use gnome you can use XFCE desktop, ROX, or any other light desktops out there. As for windows only programs that it is very unliky that you wluld need to use these these days as the open source alternatives are just as good, the only thing you need to use windows for is games, and your not going to do that on a low powerd PC anyway.

Sure scummvm is all I need and it exsists under linux (nobody will ever beat Sam & Max)