[Release] Aquaxp Sp1 Mod & Info For The Impatient

Ok guys

I apologize deeply for the delay. I've had some work stuff that came up that I needed to do. (It's gonna make me rich :) ) Anyway the guy that is doing the installer is good but he's busy he will do it but he's trying to squeeze it in. He said it will take him about 2 hours for an install shield version with uninstall and I've provided him the graphics for during installation and the mod files. It was supposed to be done last week. I have no control over him so just has you've had to wait for me I've had to wait for him. I could just finished the script and do it like imail but I said f*** it I'm too burnt on this and I don't wanna look at a dll ever again heh. Anyway so some of you can get those files and enjoy them in the meantime I have decided to provide a link to the files without the installer. As I was getting inundated with private requests. If the provided link goes down someone else will need to host. I dont' want people submitting there own installers for my files. that way I have control over the quality. The pro one will be done soon.

A couple of things you must know before you download them:

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I TAKE NO RESPONSIBITY.

If you aren't familiar with installing system files yourself I'd recommend you don't do this manually. There are alot of files (over 155) which means alot of room for human error as you manually install them. So be careful. The files do work as many testers are using them flawlessly now.

Because of the extreme amount of change to shell32.dll memory space gets changed (the space in memory it takes up) this is unavoidable. As a result

There are 3 issues that can't be helped with the files.

1.) windows Calculator won't launch because it requires use of memory space now used by shell32.dlll

This is no biggie as calculator blows anyway and here is a link to berics ical Which is sexy as hell and a thousand times better Get icalc HERE

2.)network properties for some people crash when you go into network properties. This is netshell.dll. If you install the file netshell.dll on a clean install or remove your device in device manager and reinstall it you won't have this problem. Alternatively just don't install the netshell.dll.

3.) A very few installers like the vegas video installer require the same memory space that shell32.dll is using and won't install the solution rename shell32.dll to orig install then rename back and your good to go. I've redone shelll32 2 times this problem is unavoidable as even though you are just replacing 1 and 0s for more 1 and 0s it still changes the file size and memory space. That being said these files are just as stable and fast as the stock ms dlls and exes.

get the mod files here

Aquaxp sp1 without installer

Thanks guys I will make an update as soon as the installer is done.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by pack@Jul 26 2003, 07:24 PM

The cat2000 unfortunately you can't change the stuff that this mod changes with icon changing apps.  Then again you can't spell change either :)

Well I already KNEW that silly ;) Done this before on Windows ME when I ported XP Icons over into it to create a new shell32.dll and other system files in WinME :D

I just like to change the icons without messing up the system DLL's too much in case it DOES cause system instability. I dont know about you, but I HATE reinstalling Windows :rolleyes: Anyway give me some credit guy, I have been skinning probably as long as you have, and know most of the tricks ;)

skinning has nothing to do with this lol

I know carpentry too? and how to play chess but it has little to do with the topic at hand rofl.

reread the post the mod is stable as I've stated.

You have no point.

first: pack, thank u for the pre-release of your files.

allow me some questions: i don´t now much about modding dll´s and so on. could u plz try to explane for the people like me why your files (speaking of shell32.dll) needs a re-locationing of memory space? the file size could not be the reason, because a modded shell32.dll by iceman is bigger (15.8 mb) than yours (10.1 mb). could u try to eplain what exactly makes the memory-space-change unavoidable?

just asking because some people might get scared by things like that (including me):

nav_warn.jpg

No need to be scared. they work fine and are stable. Difference is iceman just replaced icons. I changed everthing strings,dialogs etc.

If you are worried then just dont' use them no skin off my nose :)

there isn't because winxp isn't designed to use those icon sizes. (besides 96 on thumnail folders)

they bloat the gui and slow the system down when all icons include those additional sizes. furthermore besides on the desktop those icon sizes aren't practical and make the save and close dialogs look like ass. Yes I know you can turn off the places bar. If you could set the desktop icon size independant from the rest of windows I'd be all for it but you can't. If you want 20 meg shell32.dll and a sluggish gui go for it.

I've been following this board for a long time -a couple of months- and especially Pack's Mod. Now the time has come to register myself just to say: Pack! I love you! :woot:

No really, I downloaded the files, and now I'm gonna Ghost my system, and install them (Y)

I suggest everyone backups his/her system via ghost.

nice work (Y) .

@pack, when this is officially released with its installer and everything, how about starting a new topic that will get pinned, with screenies etc. it just looks more formal. and once it is officially released, it become's BIG front page news.

-The Unknown

Originally posted by pack@Jul 27 2003, 10:52 AM

there isn't because winxp isn't designed to use those icon sizes. (besides 96 on thumnail folders)

they bloat the gui and slow the system down when all icons include those additional sizes.  furthermore besides on the desktop those icon sizes aren't practical and make the save and close dialogs look like ass.  Yes I know you can turn off the places bar.  If you could set the desktop icon size independant from the rest of windows I'd be all for it but you can't.  If you want 20 meg shell32.dll and a sluggish gui go for it.

if you used a 1400x1050 or even 1280x1024 resolution on a 17" monitor, you wouldnt say that 96x96 icons bloat your computer ;)

i hate not having space for windows, so i use high resolutions :)

Originally posted by pack@Jul 27 2003, 10:24 AM

No need to be scared.  they work fine and are stable. Difference is iceman just replaced icons.  I changed everthing strings,dialogs etc.

If you are worried then just dont' use them no skin off my nose :)

pack, maybe u get me wrong. i just wanted to know what exactly results in the memory-space-relocating. is it a specific dialog, string...? i mean u have to know exactly because u made it. so me is thinking, that u can point directly to (just for example) dialog 1018, or something like that.

and u say "if u are worried then just don´t use them". oh man. u, all members here and i know, that your work is fantastic, so for sure i want & will use it. i just ask for some more infos. i do not show any dis-respect in any kind of way by asking this. i never would, because u have my 100% respect.

i just thought, that if u would trade this memory-space-relocating-thing not as an secret, maybe someone could help out with some ideas.

so, i just hope u still do not get me wrong, because i really love your work and i´m just trying to help a little bit.

keep it up, pack. :own:

yeah, i'm wondering the same questions as brainbug. i actually like to use the windows calculator, so i would like to find out more about this memory-space.

i've been following the other thread for a while, and i'm excited.

great job!! i'm sure it'll be fantastic! you have our respect. :bow:

and also u said that Calculator wont work because of the modded shell32.dll :huh:

i always used modded shell32's and never had a problem with it!

problems like this come when u mod more basic system files, lets say user32.dll.

i never succeed replacing the regular ugly cursors with Binary's alpha blended ones :/

Thank you Pack !! I installed everything and everything works great. The Calculator problem exists on my machine, but I usually use the PowerToys calculator and that one works just fine with your files installed.

I thank you and appreciate what you have done for all of us.

FatAxl :own:

if you used a 1400x1050 or even 1280x1024 resolution on a 17" monitor, you wouldnt say that 96x96 icons bloat your computer ;)

i hate not having space for windows, so i use high resolutions :)

actually I use 1600x1200 and I wasn't talking about space bloat.

I'm talking about the gui itself and it becomes sluggish even with icemans files when you add icon sizes that aren't needed or used my winxp. You are definitely in the minority if you think 128x128 is practical in winxp.

for all others asking the question about shell32 do this expericment get the latest shell32 stock file for winxpupdate and then just replace the toolbar bitmaps 204 and 205 you will then have these problems.

Originally posted by pack@Jul 28 2003, 05:21 AM

...for all others asking the question about shell32  do this expericment get the latest shell32 stock file for winxpupdate and then just replace the toolbar bitmaps 204 and 205 you will then have these problems....

ok pack. i did what u said. i replaced just bitmap 204 and 205 in my original (with the latest windows-update) shell32.dll. and man, NO PROBLEMS. :blink:

Originally posted by localhost@Jul 28 2003, 12:04 AM

and also u said that Calculator wont work because of the modded shell32.dll :huh:

i always used modded shell32's and never had a problem with it!

problems like this come when u mod more basic system files, lets say user32.dll.

i never succeed replacing the regular ugly cursors with Binary's alpha blended ones :/

all i can say is, that it is 100% the shell32.dll that causes the memory-space-relocating because i just replaced this file.