Video Cards & Vista

Hi, I ran the program that checks your PC to see if it is compatible with Vista. It said that everything is ok except for my video card.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what video card would work well using Vista? How much it costs and where to buy.

Thanks,

Rich

Any modern video card (made in the last year or two) with at least 64 MB of ram and DX 10 support will work.

All ATI Radeon 9xxx and Xxxxx series card will work just fine with Vista.

nVidea is hit or miss.

You can get great performance with 128 MB of memory.

The big thing is drivers. ATI has them already... nVidea is still working on it.

I'm using an ATI Radeon X1300 with 256 MB of ram and it works great.

Also, the card needs to have Pixel Shader 2.0 support to run Aero.

I run nVidia and I have to say; STAY AWAY FROM NVIDIA! GO ATI!

No really, go ATi, ive got a 7900 and im giving the damn thing away to a friend and picking up a X1950XTX - I cant stand nvidia's drivers and lack of common sence to atleast improve the framerate issues.

I'm glad this was posted because I, too, have a question. I have an Intel Graphics Card that has 64 mb of memory...would that be sufficient enough to run Vista Home Premium?

i think that would be okay for Home Basic but if u wanna go for higher edition as premium or Ultimate u're gonna need 128 MB minimum.

i'm waiting 'till June,July making sure everything's settle down, lots of them are now working on drivers, if u're gamer that's gonna be suck ;)

I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to cracking my case and installing a video card. I assume that it just plugs into an open PCI slot. Then you plug your monitor cable into that video card yes?

Do you do something with the old card you replaced? Do you leave it where it is?

Thanks for the help.....

If the card is built-in, you can disable it in the bios.

If the card is removable, you will need to remove it and put the new card in its place.

As for the built-in Intel Graphics GMA950 or higher with 64MB of ram, it WILL run the Aero interface just fine. These integrated graphics cards will use system memory beyond the base 64 MB if needed. It won't be as fast, but it will work.

It will not run things like the Dream scape desktop, but it will give you a decent Aero experience.

Nvidia will be fine once they get their drivers up to speed. the latest release on Friday seems to have fixed a number of issues.

And added a number of bugs.

If I select log off it will log off, then the screen turns black and comes back all messed up and Im forced to manually power down my machine. nVidia is going no where and they don't seem to be showing any initiative in making decent drivers. The 101.40 drivers had Zero performance added, even though they claimed they had OpenGL performance. Also; I had to go back down to 100.65 because WoW wouldn't even play.

I went out and bought a new Nivea gForce FX 5200. The guy at Best Buy said it would work with Vista. I have not yet installed Vista on my PC. I ran the Vista Compatability Program. It claims that the video card needs to be replaced to take advantage of "Aero" whatever that is.

I am confused. Searching the internet I believe I saw a post from somewhere that the card would work and do what advanced video cards are suppose to do.

What is Aero anyway?

Rich

Yeah, you need Pixel Shader 2.0 to run Aero. Some people get all pissed off at that but whats nice is instead of it stealing resources from your processor/memory it uses the videocards GPU and Memory.

Aero is the glass theme. I would suggest you return it and get an ATi 9500 or above. I can speak from experience that ATi is MUCH better than nvidia in Vista, they're drivers are lightyears ahead of nVidias.

i have:

nvidia geforce4 mx 440 with agp8x

can you experts tell me will i be able to do something to make Aero works on me computer..pweez :(

is there any chance that some drivers will pop in soon for this card version ?

if you know something please help me.

thanks

As long as it has Pixel Shader 2.0 you can.

That card is not supported in Vista, so thats a No. nVidia wont code drivers for that card so you will be stuck with the default drivers in the OS.

Here is the list of cards:

GeForce 6100 nForce 400

GeForce 6100 nForce 405

GeForce 6100 nForce 420

GeForce 6100

GeForce 6150 LE

GeForce 6150

GeForce 6200

GeForce 6200 LE

GeForce 6200 with TurboCache

GeForce 6200SE with TurboCache

GeForce 6500

GeForce 6600

GeForce 6600 LE

GeForce 6600 VE

GeForce 6600 GT

GeForce 6610 XL

GeForce 6700 XL

GeForce 6800

GeForce 6800 LE

GeForce 6800 XE

GeForce 6800 XT

GeForce 6800 GS

GeForce 6800 GT

GeForce 6800 Ultra

GeForce 6800 Ultra

GeForce 7100 GS

GeForce 7300 LE

GeForce 7300 SE

GeForce 7300 GS

GeForce 7300 GT

GeForce 7500 LE

GeForce 7600 GS

GeForce 7600 GT

GeForce 7800 GS

GeForce 7800 GT

GeForce 7800 GTX

GeForce 7800 GTX 512

GeForce 7900 GS

GeForce 7900 GTO

GeForce 7900 GT

GeForce 7900 GTX

GeForce 7950 GX2

GeForce 7950 GT

GeForce 8800 GTS

GeForce 8800 GTX

Quadro FX 350

Quadro FX 540

Quadro FX 550

Quadro FX 560

Quadro FX 1400

Quadro FX 1500

Quadro FX 3400

Quadro FX 3450

Quadro FX 3500

Quadro FX 4000

Quadro FX 4000 SDI

Quadro FX 4400

Quadro FX 4400G

Quadro FX 4500

Quadro FX 4500 SDI

Quadro FX 4500 X2

Quadro FX 5500

Quadro FX 5500 SDI

Quadro NVS 440

Quadro NVS 285

If you plan to update to a new videocard do not buy nVidia if you value gaming. If you don't care about gaming on a PC then nVidia is "Ok" I suppose.

thanks AC/DC, bad news but at least i know i need to buy new puter :)

i guess i will buy Intel based PC (don't have much money to buy an Apple) ... what is the configuraten you would say would be good but not very expencive... something like (MB (intel with graphic card ...can it use Aero AND INSTALL mACos TOO...)??