HDDVue (Beta)

Suroh

*LATEST UPDATE - 4/15/07*

So I was playing around in Vista, and I came to the conclusion that the only thing that I REALLY liked, and saw as an improvement over XP, was the Disk Usage Meters in "My Computer". And so, spawned HDDVue:

preview.jpg

preview2.jpg

Now up to 13 skins:

Simple (user-definable fill color, border color, and text colors)

Glossy (No custom colors)

Aero (Port from Vista...)

AeroV2 (Larger, not a transparent background)

Horizo (Vertical version of Simple, yeah, name is wrong :P)

Rose (Masked Rose, image by gloomfang Deviation)

MaskTest (Yeah, so :P. Skin I used while testing masking.)

Pi (Pie Graph style variation of Simple)

Frog1 (Yeah, it's a frog)

Frog2 (Holy crap, another frog!)

Turtle (A turtle)

Aesthetic (Skin made for the Aesthetic Visual Style. I lost the link, but it's on deviantart :( )

Aestheticv2 (Colors are opposite in this version)

These really should just pave the way for your own skin ideas. All you need is 3 images and an xml file and you have a skin :).

To Do:

1. Optimize Code!!!

2. Anything else you guys can think of.

Download Here

This is the first app I've worked on, so any tips, suggestions, anything you'd think could improve it, I'll appreciate :)

Doh! Was leaving for class when I posted this, link is up. :P

I am contemplating the idea of having an optional mask for the skins, so that irregular shapes could be used. The only thing is, the bar itself would still move in a horizontal fashion.

Perhaps I could give the skins several options...horizontal, vertical, and circular...I'll have to play around with it.

Very nice.

Just one suggestion maybe change Text1Color & Text2Color to something like Display & label respectively.

The mask idea is a good idea. It's possible to script a round meter in a couple ways. The simplest would probably be using masking & a png animation.

OO OO OO.. I think I'll have to try this one out :)

Need any help just ask me. MSN. I like this.

I can show you how to totally hide the flip image so that it only appears when your mouse enters the desklet. I added support for this awhile back.

First updates completed :).

Check top post for info...

Oh noes...now I feel like Blizzard, needing a hotpatch the day after an update :(

The skins using the masks are displaying usage incorrectly...working on a fix..

Another edit...fixed it...if anyone feels like trying a new skin to help me test the functionality, I'd be interested and would like to hear the results...I THINK it should be good to go, but you never know....

• 2 weeks later...

Getting some errors here. Any reason why?

13 Microsoft VBScript runtime error

Type mismatch: 'this.Layers(...).visible' Line:271 Column:2

-------------------------------

• 1 month later...

this is very weird, i unzipped the folder to exactly the place PCM posted above me, avedesk/desklets/avescripter

the hddvue shows up in Avescripter section of desklets, but when i click add item.

it adds just a QUESTION mark. nothing else!!!!

whats going on here?

Sorry for my long absence, college got the best of me for awhile. I'll be trying to come up with the next round of fixes...most likely a recode since I had added a lot of stuff I hadn't originally intended :P.

Not sure what's up with those errors, I'll take a look at those lines and see what's going on.

Also, it's odd that just a question mark is showing...that's something typical of a syntax error or such. try deleting it and re-downloading, maybe you got the version in between my last update? I'll look into it.

I too am gettig this error message - i must add that i am working with Avedesk beta 2

Those who did not get the above eror are you guys with avedesk 1.3 by any chance?

Well, I haven't entirely tested it with the 2.0 beta. I have made a bunch of changes recently, I still have more to do yet, then I'll test it on 2.0, and post the new version then.

Recent changes include:

-Removed support for the old skins...I am now using only masks, which is more efficient.

-Text is now completely customizable. ex, %d: (%s gb) would display C: (120 gb)

-Condensed a lot of redundant code.

Still to come:

-Even more code optimization. Not sure there's too much more I can do in that regard, but I'll try.

-Test, test, and more test.

-Write a readme. :)

*EDIT* - Found the reason for the error! It's actually nothing serious, a simple syntax issue. Instead of using the numeric values for booleans (0 = no, 1=yes), I had them entered as strings. Some languages are fine with that. Bah, VBScript doesn't even have a valid line break operator, why am I surprised, lol? I need sleep right now, but I'll get a quick update tomorrow.

I think you have the old version...

Is there a readme file in your HDDVue folder? Just asking because I haven't been able to replicate the error.

If there is a readme, which version of avescripter are you using?

If there isn't, use the link up top to get the new version.

Suroh - Yes i got it on my desktop. Now do tell me if i need both my partitions displayed i need to launch this desklet twice? t does not give information of all partitions/drives using a single instance of the desklet?

1) If i use HDD Vue twice for two drives, on reboot one of the HDD Vue desklets does not display anything - in other words i lose the drive info of D drive. Not even if i save th theme and reload. I am using simple skin (the bars)

2) If i change the dimensions of the bars (simple skin) from desklet poperties it shows but on reboot it goes back to some wierd dimensions not what i had set thru desklet properties

How are you guys doing all thre drives display and shown in the screen shot of the post?

Suroh - Yes i got it on my desktop. Now do tell me if i need both my partitions displayed i need to launch this desklet twice? t does not give information of all partitions/drives using a single instance of the desklet?

1) If i use HDD Vue twice for two drives, on reboot one of the HDD Vue desklets does not display anything - in other words i lose the drive info of D drive. Not even if i save th theme and reload. I am using simple skin (the bars)

2) If i change the dimensions of the bars (simple skin) from desklet poperties it shows but on reboot it goes back to some wierd dimensions not what i had set thru desklet properties

How are you guys doing all thre drives display and shown in the screen shot of the post?

Firstly, yes, to display multiple drives you need to add more than one desklet.

1) I will test the reboot bug and see what I come up with...I've been working on fixing another know bug, and that is duplicating the desklet when it is not on the default skin. The duplicate takes on some odd dimensions.

2) The way it is coded right now, I can understand why resizing it in desklet properties would break it, because the desklet is drawing it's width and height driectly for the skin.xml file. I will see if I can iron that out a bit.

Also, thank you for pointing these out :). They aren't things that I had come across, and I need the feedback to better the desklet.