Will Avetunes Ever Support Winamp?

CrisCr0ss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, since AveTunes is free, to charge $3 for AveAmp seems biased and perhaps opportunistic in some way.

Just a thought, you may want to ask Carlos for premission to interface with his DLL that comes with CD Art Display. I have a feeling it might save you some work. ;)

Ave, are you serious about this 3 bucks for a download deal? :confused:

Yeah why not? There went in effort that I don't profit from personally (I use WMP & iTunes). It's less than a coca cola at Mc Donalds and people seem to have no problem paying for that.

That is FREAKING AWSOME, as long its not some photoshop work. :D

ps, if u need beta test ill be more than glad. But 3 bucks i wudnt mind ima just need to get hands on a paypal account :S But wow that is nicee STUFF!! :D

Might i add will it support current avetunes skins?

It's no photoshop thing and it supports all avetunes features - in fact, it's just avetunes with support for winamp (the player will auto detect winamp or itunes).

Unfortunately, since AveTunes is free, to charge $3 for AveAmp seems biased and perhaps opportunistic in some way.

Again, I don't use winamp myself - I went thru the trouble of it not for myself.

Just a thought, you may want to ask Carlos for premission to interface with his DLL that comes with CD Art Display. I have a feeling it might save you some work. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions - but I currently rely on activewinamp which seems to be the "de facto standard".

Progress:

Currently supported:

+ basic information such as artist, title, name, genre

+ progressbar and timers working

+ albumart -> folder.jpg and embedded albumart

+ basic actions: play/pause, prev, next

+ volume

+ open/add file

+ changing position of the song thru trackbar

Not supported currently:

+ add coverart

+ playlists (winamp doesn't keep a list of them)

+ some information pieces missing still, like year

aveamptest.jpg

Doesn't crash anymore on closing winamp either.

Summarizing

AveTunes 4 can run all current avetunes skins with iTunes or Winamp, with only a bit of not a lot used functionality is not supported for winamp. AveTunes4 will probably be true donationware: you gotta donate a pre-determined amount of money to get it e-mailed to you.

@shmengie I couldn't understand if ur post was a flame towards me or not. But just to clear it up. Im not *****ing at the fact that i need to pay or the conversion rate. Im just clarifying.

And what i meant bout PURE Donationware, is that we had to donate prior to getting it which is similar to buying it

The suggestion isn't/wasn't to cause a flame war. I'm know programmer & barely basically adequate at scripting. If you look at widgetmachine you'll see that many developers charge for their dashboard widgets.

The time involved just in creating a simple widget can be quite substantial let alone creating a plugin. All of us understand varying financial circumstances, school, not working, etc. I'm one of those people; however, if someone makes a specific request that requires a significant amount of time to develop then you shouldn't expect something for nothing.

There are also otherways to donate beside money. Personally, I think if Ave developed AveTunes/AveAmp as a standalone using a developers version of AveDesk then I wouldn't be surprised that he would sell quite a few, definitely at three bucks. Not every winamp plugin is free either.

Andreas, I would pay for it too. It's been too long, finally someone voices up about this. Actually I have in the past, but it was somehow brushed by. I personally don't use iTunes cuz I find it to be crap. I just don't like its clunky interface and its memory hogging footprint. The only time I installed iTunes was to try out AveTunes, now it'll be supporting WinAMP, I have to say I am rather excited.