WWDC 06 Discussion

servers of these specs are not meant for at-home pc use... they are meant to be "servers"... I can tell you, that where I work *defense contractor* its not uncommon to purchase servers for >10k. We use them for image generators and for multiple user liscensed applications. my old workstation on my desk was a single xeon, 2gb of ram... did i need it?! not really... does our servers... absolutely...

not too long ago i spec'd out a dell server w/ dual xeons and 8 gb of ram... that was ~8k and for a small project...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main thing that cought my eye is this

2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon 5100 series processors

1.33GHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside buses

16GB of 667MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory

4x PCIe NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM, two dual-link DVI ports, and one stereo 3D port

10240x1200 or some other configuration using 8 monitors with Dual Link DVI, or 7680x2400 using Single Link DVI, or 8192x3072 using analog.

2TB of SATA 3GBps spanned across 4 hard drives.

2x 16x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots (?)

2x 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames

AirPort Extreme wireless networking

Bluetooth 2.0+Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) up to 3Mbps

External Apple USB Modem (RJ-11)

2x FireWire 800 ports

2x FireWire 400 ports

5x USB 2.0 Ports

2x USB 1.1 Ports on Keyboard

Front-panel headphone minijack and speaker

Optical digital audio input and output Toslink ports

Analog stereo line-level input and output minijacks

And all it needs is a 200-240V AC plugin socket. Which means if I got that mac I would have to use it in place of my dryer!

The main thing that cought my eye is this

And all it needs is a 200-240V AC plugin socket. Which means if I got that mac I would have to use it in place of my dryer!

Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 200-240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)

Big emphasis on the word OR.

It will run off a regular wall outlet.

I'm surprised that almost no one has noted that virtual desktops have been available for Windows since literally last century via alternative desktop shells like Litestep as well as being available for other Unix and Unix like systems. It's hardly new, or innovative even their implementation isn't new as it seems a lot like virtue on OS X and microsoft's powertoy. I currently am using Desktop Manager in OS X but it is nice to see Apple acknowledging virtual desktops and including it officially in the OS with more integration so it might work even better than third party solutions.

I wasn't impressed. I watched the keynote, and then read Paul Thurott's commentary on WWDC 2006. I see things being included in Leopard that should have already been part of the operating system for years (and in some cases are already in Windows, probably in some iteration going back to 3.1), and wanting money for it. OS X has had 5 realeases, which are essentially service packs for the previous version (making Leopard Service Pack 6), all with $129 price tags, meaning the poor Mac user has been taken for nearly $1k USD.

In short if you are a Tiger user, there is little (if any) incentive to upgrade. Same goes for Vista. nearly $200 dollars for eyecandy (Leopard) and over $200 for Vista isn't worth it.

Steve, please wow me and be quick about it. Leopard is a thud thus far. :slant:

Judging all that coming in Leapord is shown in keynote is not entirely fair. There is long way to go for Final release of Leopord. This was just a preview there are many things that haven't been shown in keynote. I, for once would wait till we get something more concrete about Leopord.

Also, I've been seeing many people saying Time Machine is waste of space.... but frankly speaking it's a very well impletemented feature compared to System Restore on Windows. Offcourse it will take lot of disk space when in function but in production houses where we use at least 500+ GB storage, I don't think disk space will be more of concern than having ability to have secure backup of files. Besides, nowdays even consumers are opting for bigger hard-drives. If you don't want to use that feature... offcourse you can turn it off. You wouldn't expect apple engineers to not to include turning off option in time machine.