Rainlendar-like app for Mac?

Well, my old Dell laptop was dying and it is now time for me to make the jump to the Intel Macs. I have an MBP which I am just starting to set up. One of the programs I miss the most is Rainlendar... Is there anything similar available for Macs?

I haven't found any Dashboard or Konfabulator widgets that have all the features of Rainlendar that I think are highly desirable:

1) Calendar stays on desktop (e.g. Dashboard widgets don't)

2) Displays some sort of indication of events on the days (highlights days in color)

3) Can mouse over to see a day's events without having to launch iCal/etc.

4) Can add new events by clicking on calendar day without having to launch iCal/etc.

Personally, the first two items are the most critical. Does anyone know of something that might fit?

You can put dashboard widgets on your desktop, but you have to manually enable it first

Open terminal, and type:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

Then restart, activate dashboard, drag the widget somewhere, then press F12 while dragging to turn off dashboard and you will be able to place the widget on your desktop.

Doesn't a widget go back to Dashboard once you activate it again? If it does I guess there's no point to use Terminal. You can put widgets on desktop without enabling devmode ;) How to do this:

1. Activate Dashboard, open the bottom panel where widgets are sitting.

2. Grab a widget, move it somewhere away from the bottom of the screen.

3. Still holding mouse button push F12. Dashboard deactivates.

4. Now you can release mouse button. Bang (or maybe I should say splash :P) and widget drops onto desktop.

It's very interesting because I'm 100% sure that I never enabled the devmode :confused: I mean I was thinking about it long time ago but never actually did it. Does it mean that iMac reads my thoughts?

But, is there a way to keep the widget under windows? Every widget that I have dragged onto the desktop to see what happens stays on top of everything. It's not useful to me in this state.

Amnesty Widget Browser does it, but it's also $19.95. A little expensive considering Konfab works well for free. ;)

But, is there a way to keep the widget under windows? Every widget that I have dragged onto the desktop to see what happens stays on top of everything. It's not useful to me in this state.

Amnesty Widget Browser does it, but it's also $19.95. A little expensive considering Konfab works well for free. ;)

From what I could find online, no.

That is why this devmode business doesn't work either... I'm not about to stick a calendar on top of all my windows!

All that does is make it so I don't have to run Terminal to get into devmode. It still keeps all the widgets on top of everything.

Man, I really miss the simplicity and functionality of Rainlendar!

just activate devmod..

seriously, you just have to launch terminal, and copy paste the command. you'll never have to fiddle with it ever again

once you have devmode enabled, widgets WILL NOT return to the dashboard if you click F12.

there are many calendar widgets that interface w/ ical. check out apple's website or dashboardwidgets.com

in OS X, apps are apps. there aren't apps that try to be a widget unless they are widgets [konfabulator, statto]...

Well, it's free. And unlike the hacks to make Dashboard items stay on the DT, the items dont overlay windows and take up less resources.

Although, I haven't used it yet on my Intel Msc. Not sure if there is even a Uni' build yet.

Well, it's free. And unlike the hacks to make Dashboard items stay on the DT, the items dont overlay windows and take up less resources.

Although, I haven't used it yet on my Intel Msc. Not sure if there is even a Uni' build yet.

I am using Dashboard on my MBP so yes it works. However there aren't any suitable widgets for Dashboard that display a monthly view with events displayed for each day. The best they have is a "Today's Events" type deal which shows the events for the day.... but this is really limited compared to Rainlendar which can show you a month (or more) and can color/tag dates with events of each type all in one view.

I am sad that this is actually one place where the PC app really beats out anything that offered so far on the Mac side.

*sighs* Yes there are many out there, but nothing that does it all. Dashboard is not an option because there is no *useful* (e.g. not standing on top of all open windows all the time) way of sticking them on the desktop. Thanks, but I think it's pretty obvious that what I (and others) are looking for just simply does not exist for the Mac.

for the love of fuvking god, Autumnmist

K O N F A B U L A T O R ! ! !!!

For pete's sake, I'm already using Konfabulator! Can you show me a widget that ACTS LIKE RAINLENDAR instead of just throwing out names of random programs that have random widgets that have one minimal calendaring function? Certainly doesn't seem to exist if you search the Konfabulator widget gallery. Doesn't seem to exist if you search the Dashboard widget gallery (even if Dashboard would show up on the desktop).

People keep repeating the same programs over and over (which I've already said don't work) and none of them are actually functional in the proper way.