VideoShelf RC1

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy working on the successor of VideoShelf and that has taken a lot of my time and effort. I will try to pencil in a few hours in the coming week to finish off the last update to VideoShelf.

Speaking of the successor, unfortunately at this time it will have to remain for personal use only - unless you don't mind installing the .net 2 framework and MS SQL Server Express. If you don't mind, drop me a letter and I can mail you a copy.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new one looks great Sranshaft ! However I do also love the simplicity of videoshelf. I do hope you will still be releasing a final version of videoshelf allowing for manual addition of movies not found on amazon, and the ability to "open" locally hosted movie files.

Or, will a similar simple shelf view be an option with MovieClerk?

Thanks a lot man, really excited about finally organizing all my movies....have been holding out for your solution because I've found all the comercially available movie-organizing software to be over-complicated and way less pretty than videoshelf!

Thanks for all the support and comments! I'm working day and night (literally :) to get movieClerk to a stable/unchanging state.

The good news is that I've added the ability to export the collection made in movieClerk so that it's compatible with VideoShelf (or as of yet unmade widget-type program). The bad news is I'm finding it difficult to figure out how to display the collection as if it was a shelf - I'm still really new to C#. If anyone has some pointers it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has some ideas on suggestions on GUI and or features let me know now before I get too far into the final version. :P

@Paralex: Yeah mate...what's the happening?

@Kiboy: I apologize for my lateness and promise to get a final-ish version of VideoShelf out to you very soon. You can see where a lot of my free time has been going as of late.

One thing that popped into my head was the possibility of having an extra tab on the right hand side for larger dvd cover

ie. [details][plot synopsis][comments][cover]

would it be also possible to search directly other sites for cover art for those occasions where the amazon dvd cover is really bad/small ?

just some thoughts :0

This actually came to mind myself last night and it's been incorporated into the latest build. I'm looking at doing a 'search for cover art' feature but I need to find some with easy-ish access to the image. I want to keep html scraping as low as possible.

If anyone has any tips, let me know. If only dvdtown.com or cduniverse.com opened their databases....

It looks like beta-testing of movieClerk will have to be put on hold until I can: 1. figure out how to work with SQLite.net programmitcally or 2. the coders of SQLite.net finally implement database creating / editing at design time (ie. creation of data tables, datasets and the like).

I'm still cutting my teeth, so to speak, on C# and have been finding it...confusing. I guess I'm just too spoiled with graphical editors and wizards that came along with SQL Server Express.

I'd really love to switch to an embedded database and have heard great things about SQLite which lead me to SQLite.Net. I've been able to create a database with SQLite Expert (a database manager/creator) and use everything that way, and it works fine but then I won't be able to distribute the application since the database is then hard coded. I don't know...

Here's to hoping one of those two happens soon.

• 2 weeks later...

really sorry to bump this again Sranshaft..... just wondering if you had any estimate for videoshelf?

no problem however long it is - i'd just love to know so i know whether to keep waiting or go ahead and find a different tool to catalogue my collection. Your tool with the pending improvements is everything i want for this purpose, but if it won't be ready for a while I'd know that it'd be worth my while to go ahead and try out another program at least for now....

Thanks so much :)

• 2 months later...
hey Sranshaft!

Sorry to bump this old thread...i'm curious of how things are going with VideoShelf and MovieClerk? I hope they are great, thanx for all the hard work!

God bless!!! :)

movieClerk is my main focus (of the two at least...I easily get bored on one project and have to start another which is why I currently have 5 or 6 projects that are in some form of development at the moment, but I digress...) and is coming along quite nicely. It's still using MS SQL Express as its database server as I've not yet got the transfer over to SQLite ready. As such, I'm not up for releasing it to the public due to the extra requirements (.net 2 Framework and SQL Server Express both at about 30 megs each). It's not a huge hassle and if there's enough of a demand for a beta test using said requirements I can release it to a few select people.

VideoShelf has now come to a close though I've added in features to movieClerk that will allow one to export the collection into a file that's readable by VideoShelf (my version of a widget-like doohickey...

I'll release the final (or what I have finished) of VideoShelf in the next day or two. Though there are a couple bugs left unfinished...I don't have DesktopX installed any more to fix them.

movieClerk is my main focus (of the two at least...I easily get bored on one project and have to start another which is why I currently have 5 or 6 projects that are in some form of development at the moment, but I digress...) and is coming along quite nicely. It's still using MS SQL Express as its database server as I've not yet got the transfer over to SQLite ready. As such, I'm not up for releasing it to the public due to the extra requirements (.net 2 Framework and SQL Server Express both at about 30 megs each). It's not a huge hassle and if there's enough of a demand for a beta test using said requirements I can release it to a few select people.

VideoShelf has now come to a close though I've added in features to movieClerk that will allow one to export the collection into a file that's readable by VideoShelf (my version of a widget-like doohickey...

I'll release the final (or what I have finished) of VideoShelf in the next day or two. Though there are a couple bugs left unfinished...I don't have DesktopX installed any more to fix them.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm looking forward to the final release of VideoShelf, hopefully it won't lag as much as my current copy does. Thanks for the hard work, I also look forward to movieClerk's release, I would really love to try it. As of now, i'm using Movie Organizer to catalog my tangible movies and VideoShelf to catalog my digital movies, since you can direct it to the file on the HD.