MAC OSX Install - NO HD ACTIVE

Hello, I am new to macs and have just upgraded an iMac G3 333mhz, 128mb ram, new 40GB hard drive from 6GB. I can install OS9 and upgrade to 9.2.2 and everything works ok. I then try to install OSX which is what is on the 6B cd but when it gets to the choosing Hard disk page the hard disk partitions and the cd are greyed out. Does anyone have any ideas at all? Please be gentle, i am an iMAc virgin.

Old Hard disk is: Maxtor 6GB

New Hard disk is: Western Digital 40GB

Both are set as Master.

Many thanks

We'll obviously you have a problem with your IDE configuration, you CANNOT have two harddrives on the same channel set to master, one has to be primary the other has to be a slave otherwise only one with be recognized

Set the WD 40gb as master and the 6gb as slave, since you want to install OSX on the WD correct?

Then boot with the cd in the drive holding the C key

We'll obviously you have a problem with your IDE configuration, you CANNOT have two harddrives on the same channel set to master, one has to be primary the other has to be a slave otherwise only one with be recognized

Set the WD 40gb as master and the 6gb as slave, since you want to install OSX on the WD correct?

Then boot with the cd in the drive holding the C key

Firstly, I am a novice to Mac NOT Computers. There is only 1 Hard drive connected at any 1 time. The iMac range only allow space for 1 HD. The 6GB hard drive is the original iMac hard drive. I am upgrading it to a Western Digital 40GB split into 2 drives through partition. Both partitions are 20GB each. The hard drive is set to master and loads 9.2.2 perfectly and shows both partitions. I have just installed an old 6Gb drive from a pc that was laying around and the installation of OSX has installed on it perfectly. I have the latest firmware updates and the machine can support this size and type of HD from installing OS9 and finding that it works perfectly. I have tried downloading the HD updates from Apple but the progam does not seem to be recognised on this machine. I can install OSX on a 6GB but not the 40GB. There must be a solution for this but cannot see the wood for the trees. Any help appreciated.

Thanks for your help to everyone. I have tried the Firmware updater but I get the message

"The iMac firmaware updater does not recognise the firmware on your iMac and cannot perform an update. It's possible that you have a newer firmware version. "

I have looked in the boot screen and it says the boot rom is version 3.

I have looked around the apple site and it says to do a firmware update but because I keep getting this message i can't. Is there another way to do an update or am i stuck with it as is?

Thank you in advance.

Andy

You could always install Tiger on a different computer, or boot your iMac in Targeted Disk Mode. You MIGHT have to format the drive using Disk Utility, but I think you did that already, you partitioning it and all.

I had a similar problem on an old G3 B&W. I just trashed the computer because it wouldn't work.

Strange how its going upto 9.2.2 but not any further. How are you installing? putting the CD in while running 9 then running the OS X installer - to restart etc or booting direct from CD on startup? I know it sounds minor but I could never instal on a G3 without going the desktop route.

I went onto the discussion board at Apple as advised and posted there. I was told to format the drive so that the first partition was 7.85GB or less. I am waiting to find out why but it has worked. I can now boot into OS9.2.2 or X.

Tricky, I booted from CD and from the OS9.2.2 and neither one would let me choose the drives. It seems that there is a flaw that only lets me see drives less than 7.85GB.