iTunes alternatives/lowering iTunes memory usage

its ALMOST as good, yet still not close. (ive tried it)

i realise that itunes library is more efficient, so i add all my files to itunes and use an additional plugin to import its library to winamp, resulting in most of the itunes features with winamps good looks and sounds :D

im not sure, but i find that winamp idles at 15mb ram, however i find that acceptable because of the plugins that i use, it sounds better then any other media player, and even with multiplugin i feel itunes cant compare.

it also looks good :P

btw: unbeliever what the hell do you listen to to get 43GB of music :confused: ive been listening to music for ages and have just topped 8GB (not that i want more)

I'm sure a lot of foobar users would argue with you on that point. iTunes interface with foobar output (+ plugins you want), although perhaps a little memory heavy, is really hard to beat IMO.

I would still be like to as the question - if I may - how you lower itunes memory usage to around 4-6MB? I just did a fresh install of windows, because I thought there might be a problem with the system, but even the new, freshly installed iTunes uses 54MB (now) of virtual memory, even though its minimzed to tray. Using the internet search engines ("itunes 6.04 memory usage") there appear to be quiet a lot of people with this problem. So it would be quiet interessting if one could write a guide.

I had installed MultiPlugin before, but I wasn't able to see the effect of it (I saw the "save memory"-option). And isn't it that the MultiPlugin itself uses around 26MB of RAM?

clipboardshot5kk.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

after nudging the "save memory on minimize" button multiple times, it finally decided to do what it said to do when i minimized it, saw a drop from 50MB to 4.6MB, unfortunately when the song changed it popped back up to 25MB. hopefully it wont go any higher after this on next song change

after nudging the "save memory on minimize" button multiple times, it finally decided to do what it said to do when i minimized it, saw a drop from 50MB to 4.6MB, unfortunately when the song changed it popped back up to 25MB. hopefully it wont go any higher after this on next song change

No it won't - I will keep around 26 Mb even if you restore it from tray (at least it behaves so for me :)))

I would still be like to as the question - if I may - how you lower itunes memory usage to around 4-6MB? I just did a fresh install of windows, because I thought there might be a problem with the system, but even the new, freshly installed iTunes uses 54MB (now) of virtual memory, even though its minimzed to tray. Using the internet search engines ("itunes 6.04 memory usage") there appear to be quiet a lot of people with this problem. So it would be quiet interessting if one could write a guide.

I had installed MultiPlugin before, but I wasn't able to see the effect of it (I saw the "save memory"-option). And isn't it that the MultiPlugin itself uses around 26MB of RAM?

clipboardshot5kk.th.jpg

I've discovered it by accident ;)

I found out that minimizing iTunes and then hiding it (instead of just hiding it) makes the memory usage that low.

btw, Multi-Plugin doesn't anything close to 26MB of RAM.

It probably uses less than 500KB if no skin is enabled, and if a skin is enabled, it adds about 4 times the size of the skin folder (not including the Extended folder - the native iTunes elements only replace the original ones) - which is approximately less than 500KB as well.