TopDesk 1.4.2 - Now with Vista-like Flip3D mode

TopDesk 1.4.2, a task switcher that emulates OS X Exposé functionality, is now available. The major features in version 1.4.2 are:

• 3D Flip Layout - In addition to an Exposé-like Spatial layout, TopDesk now supports a 3D "Flip" layout, similar to the Flip3D task switching feature of Windows Vista®.
  • Rotation Tiling Animation - While animating window tiling TopDesk can now rotate windows around their x, y, or z axis.
  • Alt-Tab Emulation - While tiling TopDesk now responds to Alt-Tab key presses in the same way as the Windows Task Switcher.
  • Tile Visible Windows - In addition to the "tile all windows", "tile application windows", and "hide visible windows" modes, a "tile visible windows" mode has been added.
  • New Window Image Update Modes - TopDesk now supports more window image update methods, including capturing the foreground window image before tiling and capturing window images once after tiling.
  • New Performance Settings - Users can now configure the memory usage and priority of TopDesk.
  • More Mouse Hotspots - Mouse hotspots have been added to the middle of the top, bottom, and sides of the screen.
  • Close/Minimize/Restore Windows While Tiled - Users can now close and minimize/restore tiled windows via the keyboard and mouse.
  • Show All Window Titles - TopDesk can now show all window titles while tiled.
  • Customizable Window Title and Selection Colors - Users can now customize the window title font and background colors and the window tile selection color.
  • Minimized Windows Re-minimized After Snapshot - TopDesk now re-minimizes any minimized window it restored while capture window images.
  • Taskbar Hidden If Already Hidden - To improve compatibility with dock utilities, TopDesk now keeps the taskbar hidden if it was already hidden before TopDesk started.
  • Unsupported Screens Blanked Off During Tiling - To improve application compatibility and provide a cleaner user experience, while tiling windows TopDesk now blanks off screens that do not support hardware acceleration.
  • Improved Hide Visible Windows Compatibility - Where possible, maximized windows are now set to normal size before hiding and re-maximized after showing to improve compatibility with applications such as Internet Explorer.
  • Reduced CPU Usage During Tiling - CPU usage during tiling has been significantly reduced.
  • Improved Disable Mode - Disabling TopDesk now clears all TopDesk DirectX resources, improving compatibility with other DirectX applications.

Naw.... v1.4.1 has been out awhile, but v1.4.2 (much needed corrections to some glitches that now make TopDesk's release much smoother,) has just been released last night.

And I agree with TopDesk's wait on this one... this release should be the one to stand out.

albeik: Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. TopDesk 1.4.2 was just released. There was no posting about TopDesk 1.4.1 (which added Flip3D mode), so we thought we'd mention that TopDesk now supports a Flip3D mode so everyone was aware.

[edit] Thanks firecracker6, you beat me to it :). [/edit]

I tried out the trial but the Alt-Tab Vista Flip doesn't work with WindowBlinds 5 skins with Titlebar transparency.

What I mean to say is that the Titlebars just disappear.

Is this a known issue and will it be fixed ?

Thanks, great app btw.

Zaft: Yes, this is a know issue, but it's to do with an incompatibility between WindowBlinds and the Windows XP PrintWindow functionality that TopDesk uses to capture screen images. Using PrintWindow with a WindowBlinds titlebar transparency window results in a window image that doesn't have any titlebars.

Since TopDesk relies on PrintWindow to capture window images (it's the only way to correctly capture a window image under Windows XP), there's not much we can do to fix the problem. The fault doesn't lie with WindowBlinds either, it's just a failing of the crusty old Windows XP graphics subsystem.

hey.. works very well on my pc. like the flip3d mode.

but sometimes when ich use it i can't scroll thru the windows. so i go back to standard window and again to flip3dmode then it works. but the problem repeats everytime i switch betwen the windows by using the taskbar.

is this a known problem?

cheers

DJay

• 1 month later...

great program, although it doesn't draw styler or perpixalpha wb borders. the latter I can understand as difficult and never happening, but I think styler toolbars can be captured? if RKlauncher can grab the toolbar img (minimized apps)....