Hot Weather

thewer

UPDATE:

----------

Version 1.1 - 19/04/2006

New screenshot, etc. at

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29249734/

- Added a glassy background for the 5-day forecast to make the text more readable on dark wallpapers...

- changed size to make it "square": Default size is now 385 x 385 pixels. So if the desklet is too big for your desktop, you now can resize it easier with AveDesk (desklet options): Height and Width are the same now, I e.g. size it to 300 x 300 pixels...

Changed default font size to 70: If the present temperature has more than 2 digits (e.g. -15°C or 100°F) it doesn't fit on the display. This will show -1°C or 10°F... Depending on the font you use, the new size should fix this, otherwise you can change its size in the options...

----------------------------------------

Hi -

also I like Mac and Vista skin themes I desperately needed some change in style, so here it is:

A Weather desklet with more colors than your eye can focus on...

preview and download:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/29249734/

I'll release it at the official AveScripter page as well as soon as it turns out to be bug free (at least for most users...) - I based ton the original weather desklet that comes with AveScripter but changed quite a lot of the code...

And I'm not an expert...

Just doubleclick the file while AveDesk (AveScripter has to be installed) is running.

You can choose between 10 background colors and change its font:

I included a font ("DS-Digital") with the file - you can find it in ...AveDeskDeskletsAveScripterHotWeather

Just copy the content of the ds_digital.zip in your C:Windowsfonts - directory.

It's a fine font, but unfortunately Shareware, so you might want to choose a different font - you can do so under the desklet's options, furthermore you can change it's style, the font size of the temperature and toggle the visibility of the "88" LCD background by setting the alpha-value to zero.

Other (free) digital fonts are for example LcdD, LCDMono, Radioland, ...

Just try what you like best by typing its name in the font field! Some fonts look stupid with a "88" background to it, that's why you can hide it.

I included DS-Digital as it looks most similar to the font I'm using - it was installed on my system and I don't know if I'm allowed to share.

DS-Digital however I can, it was done by Dusit Supasawat ([link]) - read more about it in the txt-file that comes with the font.

Hi -

thanks to all!! :D

I'll then upload it to the AveScripter site soon, as no one complained about my poor java script attempts... :)

I'm really glad it seems to work for everyone!

@gaurav:

Type "Nadiad, India" (or just Nadiad should be sufficient) in the field instead of the code and press enter, then "Done" -

I tried and that worked...

Unluckily weather.com knows only bigger cities outside U.S., so you have to find the one next to you, if you live in a small town or so... (Lucky I moved away from my original village)

Hi -

thanks to all!! :D

I'll then upload it to the AveScripter site soon, as no one complained about my poor java script attempts... :)

I'm really glad it seems to work for everyone!

@gaurav:

Type "Nadiad, India" (or just Nadiad should be sufficient) in the field instead of the code and press enter, then "Done" -

I tried and that worked...

Unluckily weather.com knows only bigger cities outside U.S., so you have to find the one next to you, if you live in a small town or so... (Lucky I moved away from my original village)

where do i type nadiyad?

Hi -

you have to "flip" the desklet to get to the options layer - to do so, press the small bended arrow at the top, just under te weather icons.

You can see it on the preview image.

And:

you have to use the english spelling of your town...

@pcm:

Just had problems with uploading, is there a limit in file size?

Well, I try again later!

Thanks - and no worries, I don't use it that big either... :)

You can scale desklets with Avedesk:

Go to the control window, choose Hot weather and select properties...

You can set width and height there, I'm using it with 308*300 - I just designed it bigger, as it depends on one's screen resolution, how big it appears. And resolution's growing with time...

Cool desklet thewer but I've been experiencing a bug I think.

Each time I shut down and restart my computer, the desklet comes up blank. I see the circle part but no city, temp, or image up top. In order for it to fully load, I must flip it and click done. Is anyone else getting this behavior?

Thanks thewer:)

Doesn't sound good...

I haven't experience this problem so far, but I'll have a look at the code!

Anyone else experiencing this?

What's strange is, that it's starting blank and not with your last OR the default city (Montreal)...

So this could also mean (despite a possible bug in the code), that there was either a problem with saving your city or maybe with getting the data of the internet.

Have you tried to select your city and then save your Avetheme again? Or do you always save automatically your settings on exit of AveDesk?

Do you load AveDesk on Startup? Maybe your connection is established after AveDesk is already running?

I changed a lot of the original code, so there sure can be a bug in the desklet, but if you check these things it would help me for the search...

Hi, yes I have Avedesk set to load on start up and also set to automatically save my settings on exit. I'm also on broadband so my internet connection is always there.

One other thing I notice when this happens is that when I flip the desklet, my city doesn't show in the box... its blank. I don't have to fill it back in though, I just click done and it loads up.

Let me know if you need any more info

Hi -

sorry for being late, I was a bit busy the last view days!

@bigC:

I haven't found anything responsible for the error yet, I changed the original script at one point responsible for start-up, but I don't see, why this would cause an error...

Have you tried to reinstall the desklet?

What's the city your using (so I can try myself)?

@pcm:

I think it's just a problem of the font size:

It's getting the value of -18 degrees, but can only display the first 2 digits as there isn't more space...

Just change the font size of the temperature in the options - I think, this would solve the problem...

(-18, aaargh, we had -13 for two days and that was already a pain...)

• 1 month later...

Should all work now with the new AveScripter version...

Updated desklet to version 1.1:

New screenshot at:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29249734/

- Added a glassy background for the 5-day forecast to make the text more readable on dark wallpapers...

- changed size to make it "square": Default size is now 385 x 385 pixels. So if the desklet is too big for your desktop, you now can resize it easier with AveDesk (desklet options): Height and Width are the same now, I e.g. size it to 300 x 300 pixels...

Changed default font size to 70: If the present temperature has more than 2 digits (e.g. -15°C or 100°F) it doesn't fit on the display. This will show -1°C or 10°F... Depending on the font you use, the new size should fix this, otherwise you can change its size in the options...

Sweet... this is my desklet for weather.. Love it :)

Noticed its an aveinst but not the extension.

Also, if you create a subdirectory call FONTS and unzip all the fonts there, avescripter will auto install them.

BTW. LOVE The look

I just noticed that even if I change the temp display from "C" to "F" that wind velocity is still reported in KM/H or Kft/H instead of MPH

Also a couple questions....what's the little arrow in the lower left corner supposed to indicate?...seems like it always points to "2 o'clock". And at the bottom, are those two letters supposed to be wind direction? Right now mine says "WN"...what is that? wind from the west-north?