PowerMacs - what next?

I was wondering if the new Power Macs will have dual duos - giving them quad processing power? Is this even possible and will the price be realistic? I know this is possible with the current G5 - just not sure if the Intel tecnology (and OSX) is set up for this kind of thing?

This is all purely hypothetical - just wondered what everyone thought?

They need to wait for Woodcrest or Conroe in Q3 2006 because neither Yonah nor Merom support multi-CPU configurations.

It's very ungrateful to guess what's coming for PMs since we do not know how Pro apps work nativly on x86 and thus if Apple will have to use Woodcrest (a server chip) or Conroe (the high end desktop chip) in the next version.

My guess is that we'll see DualCore Merom in MacBook Pros and iMacs, Single Core Meroms (could even be DualCore Yonahs) in MacBook (AKA iBook) and Mac mini and finally DualCore Conroes PMs (Dual DualCore Conroe for the Quad). That leaves DualCore Woodcrest for xServe.

But again, this is all a shot in the dark.

They need to wait for Woodcrest or Conroe in Q3 2006 because neither Yonah nor Merom support multi-CPU configurations.

It's very ungrateful to guess what's coming for PMs since we do not know how Pro apps work nativly on x86 and thus if Apple will have to use Woodcrest (a server chip) or Conroe (the high end desktop chip) in the next version.

My guess is that we'll see DualCore Merom in MacBook Pros and iMacs, Single Core Meroms (could even be DualCore Yonahs) in MacBook (AKA iBook) and Mac mini and finally DualCore Conroes PMs (Dual DualCore Conroe for the Quad). That leaves DualCore Woodcrest for xServe.

Nice one Unbe.

So your basically saying its a long way off? I was hoping to buy a G5 in a few months and wasn't sure if there would be a Duo PM around or soon to be released. Looks like I'll go with a quad G5 instead.

Damn! I didn't understand what half the words in your post referred to. I must be getting old!

Sorry for being off-topic.

Nice one Unbe.

So your basically saying its a long way off? I was hoping to buy a G5 in a few months and wasn't sure if there would be a Duo PM around or soon to be released. Looks like I'll go with a quad G5 instead.

Well they could introduce Intel PowerMacs in June at WWDC but as far as i know Conroe and Merom won't start shipping before Q3 and Woodcrest before Q4. So if they do so (which i doubt) i have no idea what CPU they would use.

Although if i were a betting man (which i'm not :P ) i would say that new PowerMacs won't go intel till Q4 2006 at the earliest, and most probably at Q1 2007. "Adobe factor" plays the biggest role in this and they said there won't be Universal release till CS3 (which should happen in Q2 2007).

I just wish power mac's offer more drive bays... at least 2, like in old G4 days... processor power is already way ahead of anything I use my computers so I couldn't care less for xyz number of cores and processors... drives in raid and lots of ram... that’s the way to go.... and better displays... but that is a different story....

I just wish power mac's offer more drive bays... at least 2, like in old G4 days... processor power is already way ahead of anything I use my computers so I couldn't care less for xyz number of cores and processors... drives in raid and lots of ram... that’s the way to go.... and better displays... but that is a different story....

Well as i told you million times, not everyone's burning movies on the fly you dirrty lil pirate :P

And why the hell are we talking about Powermacs when you know i can't even get a mini. At least you got that beasty PB of your's to keep you company :P

I heard you can fit quite a lot in a G5... some guy managed to fit 4 terabytes inside his... i'll try dig up the link.

EDIT: There we go http://www.macmod.com/content/view/171/2/