1GB nano released

sweet finally getting me an ipod

With only 1GB of space? Honestly, save your money.

I had the Nano and had to return it for a 3rd generation 20G w/ photo...I babied my Nano and still the display got so scratched it had a "sparkle" effect. I've had no such issue with the 3G and in fact, I'm probably more rough with it than I should be. I don't think the full sized 4G's have the same issue due to the surface area, even though they are made of the same clear material as the Nano.

With only 1GB of space? Honestly, save your money.

I had the Nano and had to return it for a 3rd generation 20G w/ photo...I babied my Nano and still the display got so scratched it had a "sparkle" effect. I've had no such issue with the 3G and in fact, I'm probably more rough with it than I should be. I don't think the full sized 4G's have the same issue due to the surface area, even though they are made of the same clear material as the Nano.

1. There's no 3G 20gb w photo

2. Your needs are not someone else's needs. You might not like/need the 1gig nano, i might love it. Saying "save your money" is ignorant.

3. Nanos don't scratch more than 3/4/5G do. You're just being careless.

4. That being said, 1gig nano, here i come ;)

i still believe the shuffle is a much better investment than the nano... 150 bucks for only 1 gig is rediculous... the ability to simply plug into the usb jack is much more convenient than the dock connector for constant updating/charging... the shuffle is much much more durable and half the price... 512 mb is the perfect size to load up and carry to work, gym, running, shopping etc and have a good mix of music... so you dont have a screen to see whats playing, does suck some times...but its not like you have an extensive playlist to search thru...

1. There's no 3G 20gb w photo

2. Your needs are not someone else's needs. You might not like/need the 1gig nano, i might love it. Saying "save your money" is ignorant.

3. Nanos don't scratch more than 3/4/5G do. You're just being careless.

4. That being said, 1gig nano, here i come ;)

Typo: 4G, 20G with Photo. Last of the iPods with internal (non-flash) HD's.

1GB - you'll love your iPod, but run out of space very, very quickly and then be sorry you didn't save the extra 100 or so bucks. Like I said before I was so rudely interrupted: SAVE YOUR MONEY and make sure you buy a decent sleeve for it. The Nano and the 5G photo/vid models are grease and fingerprint magnets - more so than their predecessors.

The scratching issue is quite real and I was extremely careful - gee, wonder what the class action suit was all about. No biggie - I took mine back and got the 20G 4G for about 10 bucks cheaper. I AM careless with the 20G - it can take a lot of abuse and it hardly has a scratch. But the Nano had a certain class to it - the size is perfect.

1gig might be enough. Not all people pirate/buy terrabytes of music. I do have more music than that but, for example, my sis has less than 400-500 megs of her fav tunes.

Scratching issue lawsuit was for the same reason there is now a "iPod may damage your hearing, give us some money" lawsuit. It's money, pure and simple.

This is one of the reasons i liked my iPod when i bought it 3 years ago - it was used by tech savy users who knew how to handle piece of art technology. Now every idiot has an iPod and abuses the hell out of it. (not directed at you) And then when it breaks, it's "hey let's sue/bash Apple for not making iPod resistant enough to survive being thrown off a cliff".

Besides it is real easy to keep the Nano from scratching if you are the busy type like me. Get a good case or sleeve. I have a silicone sleeve for my 4 GB Nano with a screen protecter. Works great and I do not have to worry about it scratching in my pack. I only wish I had a remote for it.

If the one gig flavor had been out when I was in the market for a player I would have grabbed it. I still might get one, solely for listening to podcasts (and yes I do subscibe and listen a number of podcasts). Yes I know I can use another MP3 player but the Nano works for me.

1gig might be enough. Not all people pirate/buy terrabytes of music. I do have more music than that but, for example, my sis has less than 400-500 megs of her fav tunes.

Scratching issue lawsuit was for the same reason there is now a "iPod may damage your hearing, give us some money" lawsuit. It's money, pure and simple.

This is one of the reasons i liked my iPod when i bought it 3 years ago - it was used by tech savy users who knew how to handle piece of art technology. Now every idiot has an iPod and abuses the hell out of it. (not directed at you) And then when it breaks, it's "hey let's sue/bash Apple for not making iPod resistant enough to survive being thrown off a cliff".

Pete Townsend (of The Who) actually might have started the ball rolling on the "loss of hearing" canard - he put out a warning on his Blog warning folks to turn the volume down a bit due to his own experiences in the Studio - I think the guy is feeding directly off this. Money - you bet.

In my case, I cut out the window on the sleeve because it looked like crap. I walked outside with the Nano in my left hand. I had a paper receipt on top of it held down by my thumb on the way to the car. Just this little bit of pressure scratched the display all to hell. My fault? Yes. But I don't use a sleeve on my 20G at all (which is careless) and carry it every where - no scratches on the screen at all. The issue here really is the lucite (or whatever it is) that covers the entire face of the Nano. It scratches easier than earlier iPods.

And you're right - I'm *reasonably* careful with my 4G - that is to say that i don't throw it around or treat it roughly. My carelessness lies in NOT keeping it in a sleeve - it'll be my fault if it really gets all scratched up. The Nano demands a sleeve in my opinion.

1G? Well...that's what the competition is offering so I can understand why Apple went that route. A friend of mine has that little Toshiba - neat display and tiny.

Omg, just buy a friggin silicone skin off eBay, it usually comes with a screen protector for the entire unit, problem solved.

And the only thing to this day that still pissesme off about my 30G video, is that the damn volume adjusts by itself to rapid highs and lows. I know many of yall have said its due to what GSM phones or something? Well, my phone isn't GSM, it's CDMA and I have an iDEN one as well. Anywho, the point im trying to make there is, why do the so-called "Genious's" at the apple store not know about this issue? I mention it, and they're like......never heard of that, there isn't such an issue. I guess thats why im on my 4th iPod, they kept on replacing it. Im over 1400 songs right now, and like 60 pics and 2 videos........so you'll imagine how pissed i'd be if I had to get this replaced. And there's my iPod story, lol

I'm still waiting for the black shuffle.. >_< meh I hate shuffles anyway... BURN IN HELL!

I wouldn't mind seeing a black iMac too.... hmm....

Well this is good news for you who aren't gonna use so much space.... I've filled half of my 30 GB 5G iPod... Maybe I should have got a 60GB :/

~Wuzzie

i use my ipod 30gb as a backup of my library at home...

also, im under strict proxy at work preventing me from vpn'in into my home machine meaning i cant get to my music... radio sucks these days and internet radio sounds awful... so i like having full access to anything i want to listen to...

i unfortunately am reaching nearly 22gb and counting... i dread the day i have to start removing some music to fit others... how do decide what goes and what stays?!

My wife bought me a 4GB black Nano for my birthday.. it's not bad at all.

I think it's almost too small though... twice I've nearly lost the thing in my computer bag.

And yes... I have a nice leather carrying case with a screen protector for it.

Will I fill it up... hell yea, but I can see someone wanting a 1GB version.

Better than a Shuffle because you get a display.