FlyakiteOSX v3.something

flyakite

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Kite,

I just wanted to say very cool program and I can't wait for the next version to come out. Wait, on second thought...cool doesn't describe it. It's a FREAKIN AWESOME program. Thanks for taking the time out in developing it. I'm much impressed.

On to my question... You mentioned the addition of having an "Extra Options" dialog in Flyakite version 3.5, then further mentioned the addition of Mods. I'm not sure much much bigger it will make the installer... but just out of curiousity, how about adding any mods that will be ready at the new version's Launch to the extra Options screen. Therefore, whatever mods that will be released after the "Launch" could still be downloaded by whoever is interested. Just an idea.

Thanks,

John

hi chris!

would it be possible for you to include a tool that would automatically

skinned firefox to look like safari? i've been a fan of flyakite since v2.0 and i've kept

on skinning firefox just to look like safari.

He commented on this in the 3.0 WIP thread. There's no way to automatically apply a Firefox theme, so he can't do it. Just download Safire and install it. A version with the gradient is currently in testing, so there's no real excuse anymore.

He commented on this in the 3.0 WIP thread. There's no way to automatically apply a Firefox theme, so he can't do it. Just download Safire and install it. A version with the gradient is currently in testing, so there's no real excuse anymore.

thanks Desides, appreciate it! :)

@JJJ

What link where? I have no idea what you are talking about.

@Itsuki

No, they will not be added to the installer. That is the point of a mod. It is an extra. Otherwise it would be a feature. FlyakiteOSX is meant to be simple and cover the basics. The more choices I add, the more work for me, the larger the installer gets, the more complicated things get, the more support questions I have to answer and so on. All current and future mods will be available on my website in the FlyakiteOSX menu, when 3.5 is finished.

@amanago

No, like Desides mentioned, there is no way to automate installing a theme. And to be entirely honest, if there were a way, I probably wouldn't do it. Firefox themes are a bit complicated. They require a certain version of the browser, and generally require a lot of user tweaking, extensions, and more. If I were to include a theme, I can only image the amount of e-mails I would get asking how to do this or that, or why it doesn't look like it's supposed to etc. As a one man team, a major factor about what gets added is the complexity of the item and the likeliness of a user needing help with it. If it's almost guaranteed I'm going to receive lots of e-mails about the item, it won't be added. I simply don't have the time. This is why the Hide Recycle Bin tweak was removed. I have received so many e-mails asking where the users Recycle Bin has gone its not even funny.

Mr. Kite,

I can understand that. I should have thought of that before I asked the question. If you add too many features it becomes a headache for both the developer and the user. One of the longhorn/vista themepacks that I downloaded last year was that way. The developer included each and every single longhorn/vista theme that had ever been created, and it just became overwhelming trying to decide which theme looked the best, when all you really ever wanted to do was make your computer look like Windows Vista.

That's one reason why I like your pack. It's simple. Simple and beautiful. Run the installer if you want it on, run the uninstaller if you don't want it. Although I was the one who brought up the idea of integrating the two (Mods and Flyakite), I understand your reasoning for deciding not to add the mods. Keep up the good work.

Thank You,

John

Hi,

Great job on FlyakiteOSX development. It is quite impressive for you to do all this... Anyway just to help improve your OSX. May you consider adding this software smallwindows into your OSX 3.5. This is a software that is similar to the Expose' in MacOSX, this will make your current FlyakiteOSX 3.5 more advance. Relax, this software is under the Public Domain Liscense so you can abuse it any way you want.

Hope you would consider adding it.! :)

May a even nicer and more powerful OSX be born.

It's a very good programs, but the progress dialog it's looks less cooler than the progress dialog that came from FlyakiteOSX v2.0, and i also agree the panther toolbar are looks better. Hopefully we can choose which one of the progress dialog and toolbar when installing FlyakiteOSX package. Thanks you very much for this wonderfull job.

@Vincent_Pcboy

It is coming soon, I have to fix stuff still. This is the last release for quite awhile, so I need to fix what I can now, instead of just releasing the update early because people are tired of waiting. As for IE7 BETA2 support, I don't know. I test in VMware, and use a corporate version of XP in it as I don't want to use my OEM version and have to activiate it, since it's already activated on my main machine. WLM 8? No. WLM 8 will still work with FlyakiteOSX, but no skins exist for WLM 8 yet, and seeing as how its beta and changing a lot every build, I doubt we'll see any real skins until its officially released to the public.

@allansiew

I'll check that out. If it works relatively smooth and is fairly bug free, then I will probably add it.

@Wombat81

FlyakiteOSX contains Lucida Grande. However, Windows and OS X render fonts in two completely different ways. There is no "easy" way to get the fonts in XP to look exactly like OS X.

@xu_xie_yu

You will not be able to choose which you want when installing FlyakiteOSX, I said that earlier in this thread. It makes managing the installer way too difficult, and it confuses people. Half of my users can't look through the installer and see what they are installing anyway, so I try to limit the amount of choices they have to make. However, the old toolbars and animations will be available as mods on my site come release.

@Everyone who cares

I've developed a widescreen version of the bootscreen (it was a pain, for technical reasons I don't want to go into). If anyone wants to test,the wide screen boot screen, send me a PM (all other testing requests need to be e-mailed, as explained in the first post).

@allansiew

I'll check that out. If it works relatively smooth and is fairly bug free, then I will probably add it.

Just a short heads-up, i just tested it and it definitely does NOT work with Konfabulator/Yahoo Widgets! It would have been nice, but I think the widgets are more important...

Just a short heads-up, i just tested it and it definitely does NOT work with Konfabulator/Yahoo Widgets! It would have been nice, but I think the widgets are more important...

yeah, same experience... problem with a lot off the other apps... and not entirely bug- free (window appearance very random)

not advisable....

Yea, I'd have to agree....if it is something that's full of bugs, that is only one more thing to worry about. I say let's go without.

Mr. Kite... I'm eagerly awaiting the new version (as with everyone else), and I know that your taking your time out to make it well worth the wait; but I was just curious if you would be able to give us a rough time estimate. (one week, two weeks, etc.) I know that with you putting all this extra work into it, it will be awesome none-the-less.

Thank You,

John

- Just turn on Cleartype

- Fonts are part of the visual style, not of FlyakiteOSX (e.g. "Lucida Grande" is included in most of the OSX MSStyles or WB Skins)

Well that was a good suggestion, with Cleartype I can truly see it all beter now :). Thx...
yeah, same experience... problem with a lot off the other apps... and not entirely bug- free (window appearance very random)

not advisable....

I didn't even get it working. "Smallwindows has encountered an error and needs to be closed" popped up after 30 secs or so...
Fonts are part of the visual style, not of FlyakiteOSX (e.g. "Lucida Grande" is included in most of the OSX MSStyles or WB Skins)

I've been wondering that myself. Maybe there's a way to hack the explorer system and make it use Lucida Mac as the system font?

Or Grande, or something Mac font. Because it's annoying to still ahve grainy lame Tahoma on anything system.:

I've been wondering that myself. Maybe there's a way to hack the explorer system and make it use Lucida Mac as the system font?

Or Grande, or something Mac font. Because it's annoying to still ahve grainy lame Tahoma on anything system.:

Use WindowBlinds.... there You can adjust the font style of all the bars in windows- aside of many other very neat tricks;) .... or are You simply searching for that "normal" appearance thingy in the rightclick menu? look for "advanced" or similar...

What you are talking about is MS Shell Dlg and MS Shell Dlg2. You can find more info about these values with Google. They basically control the font of dialog windows and all that. FlyakiteOSX during install automatically sets them to their default values. The reason for this is that when you change it to a font like Lucida Grande, it causes dialogs to resize due to the different properties of the font itself. When the dialog resizes, it screws all sorts of things up and just looks odd. I don't see the benefits in changing it to Lucida Grande when it just causes more problems.