The problem of today's and future's operating systems

about the stablity comment i would like to input on that. honestly, windowsxp has been pretty awesome for me in terms of stability. i haven't really experienced any problems due to the fault of the OS itself. then again, more than half the time the people that are complaining about these things are the ones that don't know what they're doing.

about the stablity comment i would like to input on that. honestly, windowsxp has been pretty awesome for me in terms of stability. i haven't really experienced any problems due to the fault of the OS itself. then again, more than half the time the people that are complaining about these things are the ones that don't know what they're doing.

hey, all i did was try to manually edit the mbr and now windows is hosed! ms sucks! ;)

• 1 month later...

I have to say though, I do love the way the M$ proudly states "Yes, Longhorn will be a complete rewrite of the Windows OS, with a new filesystem, etc etc etc" and says it will be ready 2006, and then a year or more later has to make a turaround and say "Umm... well, actually, when we said 'total rewrite, what we actually meant was 'we're going to take Server 2003, and add some stuff into it that is supposed to make it cool, and user friendly... and it might not be out until 2007... Wait... maybe 2008... Ok ok, we'll release it when we're f'n ready, right?"

I dont hate M$ by any stretch of the imagination... I've always used their applications, and their OSes... Tried others, just havent really seen the point. Yes, M$ MAY be evil in many peoples eyes, but the fact is that the industry controls which platform will be most successful... not users. Businesses today use Windows on almost all workstations because it is, on the whole, reliable, cheap (Compared to the massive overheads of using Apple computers), easy to use, and has the software support that they need. M$ had cornered their market before computers really ever made it into the home on a big scale. It has been the case for quite a while now that really the only businesses that use Apple as their major platform are publishing houses and design companies. Even the publishing houses are trying to move over to Windows... Because even the cost of replacing all the hardware and software licences in the first place will be covered before long with the savings made from not needing to replace hardware regularly etc.

I used to work in a publishing house here in the UK, and over 95% of the computers used there were M$ based PCs. Only the editorial and design depts still used macs.... and that was only because half of them threatened to walk if the company changed to Windows architecture. The problem they had was that the Mac users they had were pretentious about it, and their Apple computers were so precious to them, dispite the massive amount they were costing the company every year. Things like blanket deals on software licencing go out of the window when you have a split OS architecture, and I dont know if it has improved since, but Apple back then REALLY needed to look into harware reliability, and practicality, for that matter. I mean, it is reasonable NOW to have a computer without a floppy drive, but apple have been doing it for years, and the only alternative was to buy a very expensive LS120 drive... it was ludicrous!

Anyway, onto the argument at hand... I have to say I'm a fan of XP. GENERALLY speaking, it is extremely reliable... When things DO go wrong, it is usually an application problem, or something that a user has messed with and got wrong. You leave XP to its own devices and it works. Flat fact. Performance wise, its not that bad, either. People around here could say its slower than OSX, but then we must remember that we're a community trying to reproduce the effects and style built in to OSX via using 3rd party apps and hacks that are bound to slow the system down (I know my rig has taken a bit of a performance hit... not much, but its there... since i started using WB5s per-pixel alpha blending).

Of course the two big rivals are going to "borrow" ideas from each other... Its the way things work. Developers see things they like and say "wouldnt it be cool if we could do that?" I mean... We shouldn't really be complaining about it, should we? It is, after all, what we do here? Why is it all of a sudden a bad thing if Microsoft does it? It all goes back to the M$ hating thing. I didnt hear anyone complaining about Safari in OSX... but remember all the legal wrangling about IE being included in Windows? Or WMP?

Just a few thoughts...