The problem of today's and future's operating systems

I don't like what is happening to the os which have been created since a few years.I realised that the os companies ar conquering who's os has the coolest gui,but they are not concentrating on the applications and the stability as much as they should. I personally would like if an os would be much faster, much stabile and much useful, because I don't like what requirements has the new windows vista, just because it has that glass effect and that is using tne biggest part of the memory. I liked that tiger came with a lot of new features, why cannot do the same with windows? It's new feature is that gui which needs that high system requirements and some stolen things from othes os. And if win xp can do the same things vista do, I will not spend money for a high performance computer(not because I don't want, because I con't have a lot of money for that) just to see that extra gui.

(pardom my english)

1) all the fancy effects in vista can be turned off

2) Vista is a complete rewrite of the OS, involving an entirely new filesystem. It has a ton of features that XP doesnt have

3) what has vista 'stolen'? and from whom?

- it looks like someones been looking at screenshots instead of reading up on vista

ms should change their tagline to: The company you love to hate.

It is painfully true. Ignore all that MS has done for the personal computing industry, for all of us as consumers, etc. It is just so 'cool' to hate M$ (holy crap, I hate when people do that!!!).

Vista has some nice eye candy. But that is just the surface (pun intended). There is an awful lot going on in Vista that XP cannot reproduce.

2) Vista is a complete rewrite of the OS, involving an entirely new filesystem. It has a ton of features that XP doesnt have

Well I was under the impression that Vista will no longer be shipping with a new file system but will still use NTFS. It just irritates me that all the promises made by MS pre-Vista beta seem to have vanished in to thin air.

If you want to see how a compete rewiret of an OS should be done I think the best example is OSX- I want to see revolutionary changes- some thing to really make me sit up and take notice. Hopefully Vista will deliver.

1) all the fancy effects in vista can be turned off

3) what has vista 'stolen'? and from whom?

- it looks like someones been looking at screenshots instead of reading up on vista

1. True

2. False. Vista was supposed to be a complete rewrite but they axed that branch some time ago and developed the branch that is based on Server 2003. That branch will become Vista and thus, Vista is not a complete rewrite ;)

3. Oh i dunno... Spotlight? Live previews in taskbar? Gfx powered GUI? I'm not saying they couldn't have inveted them on their own but the timing is a bit fishy.

- it looks like someones been looking at screenshots instead of reading up on vista :P

All in all i HOPE Vista will be a worthy oponent (since competition is good) but i can't wait to see what Leopard brings :)

**** if leopard is anything like tiger? I'm going back to windows.

Was the worst osx update :(

We need another Jaguar or Panther.

I somewhat agree. While i know the innards were given a serious update, the surface hasn't been touched much. We need another expose dag nabit! :P

I think we'll see 10.5, then the jump to 11, but then it won't be called OSX anymore now will it?

OSXI.... that has a terrible ring to it. OSEleven...NOPE. i think they should just stick to OSX, and go up to 10.99(10.infinity!!!! plus one, i mean two!