windowblinds killed my puter

Photo678

so its been a few years since i used windowblinds....thought i would give it a try again. installed it, played with some themes, realized i still hate it, uninstalled it.

heheheh......well the uninstall completely hosed my system. no boot.....basically wiped the drive clean. plugged the drive into a second computer to salvage stuff off of it....not one single file on it. Gone, all gone.

Isn't that nice

How old was the drive? Uninstall programs are pretty straightforward... I find it exceedingly unlikely that the one for Windowblinds "hosed" your system. At least, to the extent that, if your drive crashed as a result of Windowblinds, a slight breeze probably would have done it 20 seconds later if you had waited to run the uninstall program.

drive is a few years old....but i don't really use windows for anything other than my heavy photoshop work. I lost about 8 gigs of music, 40 gigs of movies, some work stuff...all sorts of fun. computer has run fine, there was nothing out of the ordinary installed on it....no p2p or anything like that and i don't download anything to there anymore. I use my mac for all of that stuff. I don't know if it was the program itself (unlikely) or if uninstalling it was a catalyst.

It's pretty hard for a single program's uninstaller to completely wipe a hard drive like that. I suspect it had problems of its own, separate from whatever problems WB5 may or may not have.

Stuff like this is why I refuse to buy a non-Seagate hard drive these days.

I've found Stardock SW to be difficult to uninstall--a recurrent minor issue is always needing to move the Install.log file & pointing to it after manually clicking on the uninstaller. However, I've never had anything quite as significant as you. At most, once uninstalled, some pesky registry entries to remove.... I agree w/ others, more than likely there's another variable causing your particular problem...Glad I invested in a disk imaging program a long time ago; it's saved my backside more than once... Sorry to hear your whole drive was nuked..

im just repeating the events that led to this.....and sorry....the drive is only a year old......i forgot i have the older one installed as a back (kind of ironic).

don't know for certain that it was, but all i know is that i uninstalled it....rebooted, system froze with explorer load...crash, reboot, "cannot load windows error"....tried to repair the installation "no windows installation found"...plugged drive into another computer, drive contents empty :-)

it it looks like a duck...etc

@Photo

hope you realize all your data is still on the harddrive, just the partition or the file tables are missing. It should not be a huge problem to recover most of the stuff that was there. You can find some information here or just looking for "data recovery software": some are expensive, some are free.

im just repeating the events that led to this.....and sorry....the drive is only a year old......i forgot i have the older one installed as a back (kind of ironic).

don't know for certain that it was, but all i know is that i uninstalled it....rebooted, system froze with explorer load...crash, reboot, "cannot load windows error"....tried to repair the installation "no windows installation found"...plugged drive into another computer, drive contents empty :-)

it it looks like a duck...etc

I just had my 2 western digital 80GB Drives that I was running raid 0 on DIE, and they are under 6 months old. I dont do any insane Read/Writing to them, i usually just play games on them, CounterStrike Source...etc

@Photo

hope you realize all your data is still on the harddrive, just the partition or the file tables are missing. It should not be a huge problem to recover most of the stuff that was there. You can find some information here or just looking for "data recovery software": some are expensive, some are free.

i concur. you might wanna try a tool like ultimate boot cd or bart's pe before you give up on your data.

Photo... Sounds like the head crashed on your HD during reboot. Run "fdisk /MBR" from a command prompt to rebuild the master boot record on the HD. There's always a backup copy of the MBR on the disk fo rthis very reason.

It's non destructive and won't destroy anything that hasn't already been corrupted.

If that doesn't work, then the MFT is hosed.

The data can still be recovered, it's just gonna be a bit harder to get it.

Once you get your data back, take the drive back for a replcaement if it's still under warranty.