[help] Does iTunes 6.0.2 have spyware?

Hello and welcome to 2 weeks ago :P

This belongs to Apple sub-forum, not GD.

/Thread moved, tagged

well i found this out today, so i assume there are others out there also who don't know aboot this yet, i think it's in the best interest of evryone to understand that itunes is reporting to apple or onmiwhatever which songs you play/click on.

srry for the wrong sub-forum

This is important information but most importantly

Kirk has verified that hiding the Mini-Store appears to deactivate the spyware behavior in iTunes.

Disable the mini-store if your concerned. The aim of the mini-store is to give you suggestions based on your currently listening track, don't like the store then disable and all is well.

Now I would be far more concerned if iTunes continually sent my listening habits regardless of the store being displayed or not; as it stands I'm a little more cautious about crimilalising Apple.

Now I would be far more concerned if iTunes continually sent my listening habits regardless of the store being displayed or not; as it stands I'm a little more cautious about crimilalising Apple.

this is not directed at you personally, but why is it okay for apple? if it were ms doing this, you'd probably be calling your lawyer. (maybe not you personally. i mean the general 'you', as in 'the world').

everyone would be like, 'i don't care if ms isn't selling my info, they have no right whatsoever to monitor my behavior in any way!' so, why is it okay for apple?

having said that, i don't really care. it's obviously not a big deal. but there's definitely a double standard here and out there in the rest of the world.

y'all owe me 2 cents...

this is not directed at you personally, but why is it okay for apple? if it were ms doing this, you'd probably be calling your lawyer. (maybe not you personally. i mean the general 'you', as in 'the world').

everyone would be like, 'i don't care if ms isn't selling my info, they have no right whatsoever to monitor my behavior in any way!' so, why is it okay for apple?

having said that, i don't really care. it's obviously not a big deal. but there's definitely a double standard here and out there in the rest of the world.

y'all owe me 2 cents...

I hear what your saying but WMP already does this is you want. You can have WMP Update files automatically, obtain album art and a simple click of a button and it will search their online store and give you suggestions.

If you consider iTunes mini store simply offering a similar service than WMP has been doing it , and more, for longer still. As I said the importnat part, as with WMP, is that it is easy to disable the feature and result in a media player that sends no information anywhere.

The only issue I have is that the mini-store is open by default. Now, personally, the first thing I did was hide it just like in WMP the first thing I do it disable the options to search online for more information on your tracks. Apple have said no data is stored just like I believe MS have said in their privacy statement regarding their use of similar track information.

I havn't tried other media players but I would bet that Real and perhaps even musicmatch offer something similar in their programs if you should want. Now as I said if iTunes persisted in sending unknown information to Apple servers regardless of store visibility I would be concerned.

EDIT: I should add that perhaps the opposite is true. It's not that people are softer on Apple but rather the opposite. Maybe that have gotten use to Microsoft programs having close integration with their online services, thinking WMP and Office for example, but because it's Apple doing it it's become a major issue becuase people expect more from their friendly software company?

Yeah, much less use a freaky hackable rootkit or hidden mess to do its dirty work. *cough*SONY!!*cough*