New Weather Docklet V2 - By Albiek

Duckie

"I just have one slight problem with this docklet, for some reason it doesn't update when I click update now, unless I go to the weather.com website and then click update now in which case it does update, any ideas? "

I have the same problem too. Any thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have one slight problem with this docklet, for some reason it doesn't update when I click update now, unless I go to the weather.com website and then click update now in which case it does update, any ideas?

Same here >.< , Didn't notice it at first.

lantis, chiashing, sv3n, Miqx:

I am not really sure why are you having this problem. Maybe its a chache issue. I'll add that to my bug list and, hopefully, figure out what the problem is and fix it for 0.3.

mgehrett:

Same goes for you. I need to track it down. I'll add this bug as well. (The fix for the above may fix this, but don't know at this point)

mimeryme:

Thank you for your 47 weather condition icons... officially, I'll include your PNGs on my next, 0.3, release (unless more comes in!)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

I love this docklet. I used to go to Weather.com every morning (I made a "search" shortcut to it with TweakUI for IE) and check the weather, since I lived on the third floor of a dorm and there was no way of knowing what it was like outside without climbing a whole lot of stairs (screened windows). So this docklet is just what I've needed for a long while. Excellent work.

I did, however, want to let you know about a few bugs (or idiosyncrasies) I found:

Ditto on the updating bugs -

1) The docklet doesn't automatically update until I middle click on it or go to the menu and click "Update Now"

2) When the dock starts up, the docklet doesn't display the temperature until I update it manually.

I realize that I'm probably just reiterating what others have said. Yet I also found a different bug, one that originates from the icons you have assigned to the different numbered conditions.

This morning, there's apparently a light drizzle here in St. Louis, and thus the docklet displayed the icon you've assigned to the "LIGHT_DRIZZLE" condition (number 9 on the list you posted earlier in the thread): the icon was one for snow! I see how this might happen, since on the list "LIGHT_DRIZZLE falls between ice and sleet, yet a drizzle is definitely a kind of light rain.

Thought I'd mention this. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Pattern for your comments.

1) The docklet doesn't automatically update until I middle click on it or go to the menu and click "Update Now"

I am assuming even if you set your period to 1 minute it won't update after 1 minute automatically?

2) When the dock starts up, the docklet doesn't display the temperature until I update it manually.

This bug will be fixed on next release (0.3).

Yet I also found a different bug, one that originates from the icons you have assigned to the different numbered conditions.

This issue of weather conditions will be fixed. I currently have a set of icons (thanks mimeryme) that is associated to all the 47 weather conditions by number. This means accurate weather icons.

Thanks for using the weather docklet and I appreciate your comments. :)

Originally posted by albeik@Jun 10 2003, 09:40 PM

If someone can replicate the images (NOT COPY) from weather.com by just looking at them, then this will make my life easier.

Weather.com's Icons

I created a complete set of 49 icons based on weather.com's icons. Let me know what you think.

weather_icons_small.jpg

Albeik, I will email the URL to download them to you.

Jeeves

For the folks having the docklet not updating problem when you first start the dock...did you wait the "update time" and it still doesn't work? I know I have mine set to update every 5 minutes and when I first start Yzdock I don't have the temperature shown, but after 5 minutes it shows up all by itself.

PS to jeeves....great set of icons!

"For the folks having the docklet not updating problem when you first start the dock...did you wait the "update time" and it still doesn't work? I know I have mine set to update every 5 minutes and when I first start Yzdock I don't have the temperature shown, but after 5 minutes it shows up all by itself."

Yeah, I have it updated every minute actually =) I still have to click on "Update Now"

Despite the bug, I still want to say this weather docklet is a great program. I wish I could make things like this. Alas, I'm just a poor science and math teacher trying to pay off student loans. :D

For all those of you that were having the same problem as me I figured a way to resolve it, first remove the weather docklet from the dock, make sure lock items is unchecked before attempting to remove, then go to the weather ini file and edit the interval to some other number just make a change in the ini and save it. You can now change the time back to what you want save it and close the file. Add the docklet back to the dock and select update now. For some reason it fixed the problem and the docklet now updates itself.

Miqx

Originally posted by aznduece@Jun 12 2003, 01:59 PM

I'm having the same problem. It started today. Error message "Invalid Location" and I even tried to update now. No results. Any suggestions to this would be appreciated.

Has weather.com blocked off the dockletĀ  somehow?

Same Problem here! But dont let my post discourage you man, your docklets are still beyond belief! Im a little tweaked that the spiffy weather doesnt work for me anymore for soem reason, but Im happy as long as 8Ball works LOL.

For all those of you that were having the same problem as me I figured a way to resolve it, first remove the weather docklet from the dock, make sure lock items is unchecked before attempting to remove, then go to the weather ini file and edit the interval to some other number just make a change in the ini and save it. You can now change the time back to what you want save it and close the file. Add the docklet back to the dock and select update now. For some reason it fixed the problem and the docklet now updates itself.

I'm still having difficulties, weather v.2 doesn't update itself, even when I follow the previous set of instructions? Any thoughts? Maybe I should wipe out all my YzDock folders and start fresh?

Yeah, the problem came back for me to, but I got rid of it, just get rid of the docklet, close the dock and any open browser windows, then re open and add the docklet. The only thing you have to be sure about is that its not the same condition it was when you closed the dock. It seems to work for me, also don't visit weather.com and update anymore otherwise it starts up again.

• 5 years later...