Safari RSS Sage Mod/Skin and GrApple for Firefox 1.5 PC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I hope the sage team will implement live bookmark override. :)

If you use the Livelines extension, you can configure it to have the Live Bookmark button automatically add feeds to your Sage folder, instead of trying to make a new Live Bookmark.

humm.. can't get the shadow in the header :(

another problem: how can I modify the text of sage? I'd like to translate it in german.

edit: ok, I managed to translate it after reading that xpi-files are zip-files ;)

I'm sorry but a header shadow hasn't ever been included in a release. I believe Nicesnake modded my mod to achieve the effect, probably by just changing the header image and resizing the element.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I'm working on what may be the final release (0.5). It will employ Javascript cookies, in keeping with tradition of remaining completely independent of the Sage core, to add true support for "new" items and global settings...hopefully some fancy animations will work out too.

yet a smart but nice feature you could add: if you have placed any rss feeds in your bookmark bar and you hit the button to open the item menu of the rss feed: at the bottom, Apple's safari has got a "View all RSS articles" to open them in sage instead of "open in tabs" :) ... just a small but nice feature

could you just tell me the files where I can find all the text of your sage mod? strings like "No Articles" or "Date, Title, Source, New" ? thx

yet a smart but nice feature you could add: if you have placed any rss feeds in your bookmark bar and you hit the button to open the item menu of the rss feed: at the bottom, Apple's safari has got a "View all RSS articles" to open them in sage instead of "open in tabs" :) ... just a small but nice feature

could you just tell me the files where I can find all the text of your sage mod? strings like "No Articles" or "Date, Title, Source, New" ? thx

I was hoping I could tackle that but I believe that is something more along the lines of the Sage core because I'd probably have to mod the XUL and the code of their sidebar. That would probably make it much harder to use this mod for future Sage updates.

If you want to fix that, it may be hard; I'm not sure I really want to go into localization...you could just edit the file template-html.txt and safari.js in the chrome folder (Application Data) as mentioned in the main post although any mods to my mod would make it impossible to effectively update.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Autumnmist for the late reply but I've all but removed the link to the theme. I've stopped all development (including bug fixes) because it's frustrating for ****ies like me to find their way through all the css files. This is magnified with my all too slow computer.

On a brighter note, Sage-Safari has been updated to 0.5, skipping a couple of version numbers due to the large number of changes.

i'd like to add my modification of this using some of the skinned resources from other sage mods.. this just gives the icons in the sage bar and sage icon, a more mac like look..

i decided to use the orange rss button, because i think it looks nicer than the blue ones- and also because the orange rss icon is apparently the new standard as far as rss goes..

enjoy. (just go into sage's chrome folder and replace the rar) version .5 - only changed the skin folder.

• 1 month later...
what is the latest version of the sage reader? And where can I get it? Is it 0.2.2, 0.2.3, or 0.5. 'Cause the link at post #1 is 0.2.2. thanks

Latest version is 0.5, I believe. At least, that's what it was at when I uninstalled it. Just install whatever is in the zip file and use the auto-updater in the extensions window to get the new version.

• 1 month later...

I hope development on this extension hasn't stopped with v 0.5. Please, please say no.

Has anyone checked this out.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea?p=43

This sage mod allows you to place sage feeds anywhere in your bookmarks (say on your bookmarks toolbar like in safari; right now they are rendered as "live bookmarks"). The author is however having trouble in combining feeds from different sources in a single view (like "view all rss articles").

I cannot replace sage. jar with the one on that site since that would mean foregoing inktri's modifications to sage UI. I hope inktri implements these features in future releases.

I personally feel it would be better if sage's sidebar isn't there, getting close to a perfect clone of safari rss...............

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to all of those waiting for an update. I haven't asked for permission with the modder for me to merge our projects, so I'll keep this release unofficial for now: www.badongo.com/file/690745

To those curious, here's what might be coming down the pipeline:

- redirect rss pages to sage

- bookmark link under actions of sidebar (prepends "chrome://sage/content/direct.xul?url=")

- (custom) rss pages aggregate from multiple sources and finally functionality for sources of sidebar (select only in multi page)

- optional shadow

And can anyone with Firefox on Mac confirm that the search box's pretty UI was broken in the new versions? I'm also having the strangest problems with phantom image files...you zip and unzip and then they're gone, so the close button might be missing till the next release.

BTW: It's awfully strange that you can only post full urls with 15 posts or more.

Made your link work. It's a spam-prevention method ;). -NC

First of all a big thank you. And good to see you're back.

To those curious, here's what might be coming down the pipeline:

- redirect rss pages to sage

- bookmark link under actions of sidebar (prepends "chrome://sage/content/direct.xul?url=")

- (custom) rss pages aggregate from multiple sources and finally functionality for sources of sidebar (select only in multi page)

- optional shadow

Oh boy can't wait for this!!

Every now and then there's this problem. Nothing major though.

www.img197.imageshack.us/img197/1589/safarisage13zq.png

• The total no. of feeds in white somehow slips down on the sidebar
  • The sidebar scrolls down with the page.
  • There is a double line at the bottom of the blue band (and also under the titles of articles that runs the full width of the viewing area) that acts as a link.

@NC Can't even insert smilies unless you have 15 posts??

Guess not, but I'll ask Timan.

Sorry, can you reupload the image? The link is dead for me. I'm having problems right now with a bookmark link for firefox, so I might finally start thinking out of the res box and get something done. Then I might merge preferences with the official options/preferences as does Safari and TabBrowser Preferences. Bookmarks would just be of the RSS page then, so more space could be freed up for multiple sources.

Remove the "www" from the previous link and it works. Anyway I've now uploaded a screenshot of the entire window.

www.img92.imageshack.us/img92/6889/sageshot4ph.png

Oh I've noticed one more thing. Sometimes when the pointer hovers over those titles that have a double underline they all begin to flicker.

www.img506.imageshack.us/img506/6798/sage8ks.gif

Look at the statusbar. The link address rapidly alternates with "Done".

Yes, merging the options is a good idea.

And do you manually add multiple feed URLs to the bookmarks location or is the page dynamically generated based on the contents of a folder?

(Fixed. -NC)

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for your great work!;)

Would you mind to change your javascript that make all words are related to other js's variable, it is good for localization.:)

Another suggestion is please fix "menu"'s position, make it don't scroll with content.:)

The last suggestion may you add a preference to let us change "item-pubDate"'s format, e.g. YYYY/MM/DD:)

And please let me to report a bug: Color new articles doesn't work~

Thakn's again~;)

Thank you hypersummer for the great suggestions. This little project began as an excuse for me to learn the ins and outs of programming and working on being better at the most annoying part, bugs. I have yet to really make an extension so I'm looking forward to doing so. I'm sorry for anyone who was recently waiting up for an update, but I've been busy. i believe the next update, whenever it comes, will transition this little thing from a mod of just the display to a complete overhaul of the functions and core.

I've always been bad at naming variables; I simply write them as I can. That's why I hate looking back at the ugly code...but I try when I can to speed it up. I'd be happy to let you, if I don't get to it, try your hand at making some variable sense of the mess. I believe many variables should just be grouped into arrays :)

I like the way the menu functions now. It only scrolls with the content when the content is shorter than the menu; if that's not how it's working where you are it's a bug.

I like the idea of the pubDate customization. It'll fit in with when I create a true preferences pane instead of some messy display. I've also recently realized how dumb the transitions concept was going to be. I'm on a Mac and have been used to all the fancy animations but I really need to focus on usability.

PS: I'm pretty sure the color new articles and the whole preferences thing broke with 1.5.1