Wait or buy?

pcw

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• Wait
    • Buy

Personally, I'm waiting--is it performance you're after, or the Operating System?

You know OS X won't change when the Intel switch occurs, but a performance shift (upward or downward, I don't know) is quite possible.

I'm content to wait, but if you want the "true" Macintosh experience, you could buy now. I'm interested in seeing if this "experience" will change when Apple switches to Intel.

-NC

If you need one now then you should buy now, if you're not in a hurry then wait, but you can keep on sitting on the fence. As for software, everything will remain the same (compatible) for many years to come, so you won't be missing out on anything as a consumer.

Well I need it for university. Our university lets us "borrow" an IBM Thinkpad T43 for around 150$/halfyear. And I'm gonna study there for at least 3 years so it's gonna sum up to 900$ after 3 years and the laptop won't even be mine.

Another reason is that I've always had Windows on my machines and it would be nice with a change especially since I love OS X.

Need it - buy it, don't need it - wait.

That's the golden rules of tech purchases.

Asking utter strangers for advice is a tad stupid IMHO. :slant:

Stupid? Well I just wanted a second opinion on some thoughts I had so if you call that stupid fine...

Unbeliever possibly just trying to say that you shoud carry on your decidion all by youself. It's like going to toyshop when you were a child - only you know what toy is the best.

Only now that I'm older and wiser than a child and know that getting a second opinion on things and doing some research is always good ;)

Unbeliever possibly just trying to say that you shoud carry on your decidion all by youself. It's like going to toyshop when you were a child - only you know what toy is the best.

Damn this flu.

That's exactly what i meant. When i was looking to buy my 3G iPod everyone was *****ing, telling me not to buy it, but when i bought it, i found that i utterly love it and that 99% of people's posts were crap.

It's always best to make decisions based on what you think ;)

Damn this flu.

That's exactly what i meant. When i was looking to buy my 3G iPod everyone was *****ing, telling me not to buy it, but when i bought it, i found that i utterly love it and that 99% of people's posts were crap.

It's always best to make decisions based on what you think ;)

So you're actually saying 99% of the posts on this forum is crap?

Who made you moderator? :)

Unbeliever: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Unbeliever, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your mod!

Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords IS a basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from farcicial aquatic ceremonies!

:P

-NC

P.S: No, I don't believe he's saying that 99% of the forum posts are crap...just those related to iPod 3Gs, I think. It was simply an example.

So you're actually saying 99% of the posts on this forum is crap?

Who made you moderator? :)

Yes, that's excatly what i'm saying. There is about 1% of releases, creative criticisam and amusing posts. 99% is useless, ignorant crap 25.000 kids posts around here.

Oh and i know you were sarcastic ;)

My best advice is:

1. Read the rumor sites, they can be useful

2. Try to distance yourself from spec wh0res and see what you need. It can be hard but once you do it, both you and your wallet will be much happier ;)

3. Enjoy your new Mac, as much as i enjoy my iPod. Took me 2 years to get the money, but it was worth every penny. ;)

Need it - buy it, don't need it - wait.

That's the golden rules of tech purchases.

Totally agree with Unbe here.

Yes, the Intel Macs will be the future, but the switch won't be instantly.

Most of the current apps for the Mac as PowerPC-based, which actually run a certain degree slower on the forthcoming Intel Macs (because of PPC-emulation through Rosetta).

Excerpt from Steve Jobs keynote transcript:

Now this is not going to be a transition that happens overnight, it's going to happen over a period of a few years. Again, we've got great products right now and we've got some great PowerPC products in the pipeline yet to be introduced. But starting next year we will begin introducing Macs with Intel processors in them and over time these transitions will again occur. So when we meet here again this next time next year, our plan is to be shipping
So current PowerPC based Mac will be just as much usable for the forthcoming years. Apple promises to keep support this platform. How long did it take for them to drop the 68k platform? You can still download system 7.5 from apple's website. So I think it's safe to assume you can thrust them in this.
Totally agree with Unbe here.

Yes, the Intel Macs will be the future, but the switch won't be instantly.

Most of the current apps for the Mac as PowerPC-based, which actually run a certain degree slower on the forthcoming Intel Macs (because of PPC-emulation through Rosetta).

Excerpt from Steve Jobs keynote transcript: So current PowerPC based Mac will be just as much usable for the forthcoming years. Apple promises to keep support this platform. How long did it take for them to drop the 68k platform? You can still download system 7.5 from apple's website. So I think it's safe to assume you can thrust them in this.

They'll have to support PPC for at leat 4 more years. Why?

Steve said the last machines to switch will be PMs by the end of 2007. That is a bit over a year from now. Then add the 1 year waranty. + at least 2 more years Apple Care adds. All this equals to a bit more than 4 years of PPC support.

Plus 100% of Apple's user is PPC so don't expect things to change over night.

Well I need it for university. Our university lets us "borrow" an IBM Thinkpad T43 for around 150$/halfyear. And I'm gonna study there for at least 3 years so it's gonna sum up to 900$ after 3 years and the laptop won't even be mine.

Another reason is that I've always had Windows on my machines and it would be nice with a change especially since I love OS X.

If you need it for university, check with the IT department if your course requires any software installed on your PC and if so make sure that the software will run on OS X.

I think Apple will sell alot more if the have a price drop on PPC (well of course they sell more) but after all I think moste people will wait, if they can, to buy a intel machine. But if Apple make a price drop I think people are more willing to buy now and then buy again when the intel machines comes...

Better to sell two, then one.