[Ann] Yahoo! Acquires Konfabulator

Menge

Yahoo! Inc. on Monday will announce the acquisition of Konfabulator, a Macintosh and Windows application that allows users to run mini files known as Widgets on their desktop -- the same model used by Apple for its Dashboard application. Yahoo! company executives said they would also be giving Konfabulator away for free, completely doing away with the US$19.95 currently charged for the product.

Source

Konfabulator Homepage

neat! :D

Although he could make no promises, Rose said he would also like to see a cross platform tool, so that you could convert Dashboard Widgets to Konfabulator Widgets.

that would be so cool. if it works, we wont have to wait for people to port the really obsucre dashboard widgets.

Man.... I know it sound way cool.. getting Konfab for free (+ refund for buyers in last too months), but forgive me for saying this... doesn't it sound bloody too good to be true?? ;)

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but our beloved Microsoft is currently at war with Google (And Yahoo).

The next logical step in this soap would be Microsoft buying Stardock to give away DesktopX for free or even bundle it into Vista. (I am not exaggerating here.)

The widget idea has reached the major league.

The whole thing may perish in collateral damage while the behemoths fight it out.

In the past, I wouldn't dare saying a bad word against Pixoria, because in being a three-men enterprise, it was one of us.

Now that Konfab has been swallowed by a major, I state that the Konfab idea is too cool to be wasted in major league b*tchfight.

Even if it isn't today, it could be branded, ad'ed, spyware'd in the near future during the imminent clash.

Let's have an Open-Source version ASAP.

Probably not all the widget developers are satisfied with the move, lets give these a safe harbour, where our kind of Konfab isn't subdued to corporate arbitrariness.