Dashboard WidgetDock

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if people want to open applications or folders in a dock.... they should get a stand-alone dock.

Hello.

this is way more stylish and using this and a dock would only eat up more resources, which isnt a big deal for most, but is a problem for others. plus, its not like you HAVE to use the applications or folders if you dont want to, right?

new version is out

added support for programs (".exe" files only) and folders and a new sort function ("... by Type") which means, widgets will come first, programs after and folders at last.

hope it isn't that buggy

SioSae

You forgot to add .exe/folders to the list of selectable filetypes :) Otherwise again, great job :) And, could you also add support for .lnk? I find it easier to select shortcuts from the desktop rather than search out an executable each time.

I love the work your doing but really am having a problem finding out how to display the icons in the dock. I am getting the default.png. I checked the widgetdock.config file and converting it to a text file. I changed the name of the icon to its appropriate icon and made sure the file path was correct. I turned the program off and then on again after the changes to see if that would help. Nothing. I tried clearing the dock and re adding them and nothing. Help. :)

WOW! incredible! thanks, thats exactly what i was asking for :D

it is a bit buggy though. for example with msn messenger, it gives me an error and closes the dock, etc. but otherwise, its incredible, all the way down to the flip animations. once the bugs are ironed out, this will, without a doubt in my mind, be the best dock-type utility out there, beating anything on konfabulator or otherwise.

You forgot to add .exe/folders to the list of selectable filetypes :) Otherwise again, great job :) And, could you also add support for .lnk? I find it easier to select shortcuts from the desktop rather than search out an executable each time.

Nope, the ability to add .exe files are there. In the manage widgets dialog click on the up/down arrows in the bottom left button it switches from "Add Widget" to "Add Program" to "Add Folder".

I second the nomination for "Add Link" tho. :)

@[email protected]

you just need the widget file of the new version. the widgetdock folder and empty config file is only for first users. keep your folder and config file and set it at first startup. thats all.

SioSae

some programs have problems with useFileIcon. i will check why msn messenger will break the widget. some programs dont show a file icon eigther.

i think you have a problem, a big one, but an easy to fix one :D

when I add an APP or FOLDER to the dock, the checkbox has 2 options: SPAWN and NULL. It doesn't have the NOSPAWN option.. you have to modifiy the config by yourself.

This generates the problem. if you have a shortcut to a folder spawned, when you click the link it will copy the entire folder contents to TEMP. That is not good, because MyDocumtents are 4Gb big :D

But the shortcut to folder and app... is SUPER COOL !

only disabling and spawning of programs and folders makes sense because i cant control to open programs and folders only once, thats why there are only the two options. but the copy of the folder to temp is worse. will fix it really soon. sorry for that

SioSae

there is a fixed version out. i made some hotfixes: - folders wont be copied anymore. programs and folders will be getting the same default icon while adding them until i can handle the crashes on certain programs. in the next release there will be an option to reset the location of a widget while the old one still exist. for now you can only add a new location by deleting the widget from the dock or when the original located file doesn't exist anymore.

please redownload the version and thanks for posting the bugs

SioSae

Nope, the ability to add .exe files are there. In the manage widgets dialog click on the up/down arrows in the bottom left button it switches from "Add Widget" to "Add Program" to "Add Folder".

I second the nomination for "Add Link" tho. :)

Ah, I missed that :)

Hey I've got another great idea for this dock. Would it be possible to incorporate a function where if you wanted you could do it so that the dock opened via mouseover instead of clicking? ie, instead of clicking the + sign, we would simply move the mouse over it and after like half a second or something, it popped open? It could make things even more fluid for everyday usage.

Hey I've got another great idea for this dock. Would it be possible to incorporate a function where if you wanted you could do it so that the dock opened via mouseover instead of clicking? ie, instead of clicking the + sign, we would simply move the mouse over it and after like half a second or something, it popped open? It could make things even more fluid for everyday usage.

although it's a neat idea i dont want another thing going haywire when my mouse goes over it...i'd rather just click on it so it only functions when i want it to. besides i think the idea is to replicate the dashboard dock in tiger which doesn't do that. personally i'd rather see just that but its all up to SioSae so whatever floats his boat.