Luna-Soft Now Open!

its set up, btw, so any member can post news and posted news is then reviewed by an admin. sorry if it sorta... changes, seemingly randomly. we are still putting the finishing touches on it. (we even opened it without putting the comments and suggestions forum there yet lol) oh and btw it appears that it was graced by the almighty timan, god of aqua-soft! (lol i always wanted to say something like that)

I'm seeing a lot of default Mambo stuff and no much content :confused:

EDIT: OK, that sounds kind of harsh. Timan made a Luna-Soft skin for these forums a while ago as an april fools joke. Perhaps, if you contacted him, he'd let you have some of the resources and images from it and you could go about creating a new theme for the site - that would certainly make Luna-Soft unique and really stand out from the crowd. Looking at the site as it is now, nothing screams "LUNA!!" at me.

Also, there are a few areas of white space - for example, the newflash box, the area beneath the "Advertisement" text. Getting rid of those or giving them some purpose would bring the whole thing together more. As a general rule, don't add a feature unless you really need it or there is a real demand for it. We didn't follow this with StyleSuites and it became a nightmare to navigate.

Try to use good grammar and punctuation in your newsposts - take a look at the Aqua-Soft front page for good example of how to write and set out an article. I've also just noticed that you have a huge amount of forum categories - I would get rid of these at least for now. If someone came across your message board all they'd see is loads of empty/semi-empty categories and this will give the appearance of an empty or unpopular site. It's an ongoing cycle: visitor comes to site, they see an empty forum, they leave because they think it must be unpopular, so there are no new posts, which wil further the "empty" forum image, which means less visitors, and so on. A smaller, more concise amount of categories would work better.

Try to use good grammar and punctuation in your newsposts - take a look at the Aqua-Soft front page for good example of how to write and set out an article.

Thanks Simon ;)

As I said guys, I'll help out as much as I can once I get back from camp in a couple weeks.

that's the worst site I've ever seen. it's basically useless. I bet it's gonna be run straight into the ground. and who would want an email that is as long as @luna-soft.needlemen.com?

OMG t3h |_ U || 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111one eleven one hundred and eleven thousand and one hundred and eleven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (omg lots)

Why is this site anygood? REALLY... People like websites about ****. Luna is just something the average Joe doesn't give a **** about or thinks he can't get rid of it. When I first got Windows XP a few years ago I thought it was, was just a build in theme you couldn't customize or get rid of. NOW I know better.

I honestly see no reason for this site to exist. If you think differant that with you and If you like it MORE POWER TO YOU, don't let what anyone sais get to you. Cuz the internet is for all and I've seen a lot of ****ty sites more crappy than I think this one is.

So it's like "What-ev".

The site isn't pointless. Away from the Aqua community, a lot of people prefer the Luna style to other themes. There are different variations of Luna too... a poll conducted at Neowin had about 30% of people who preferred Luna styles over Aqua, Aero, and Classic.

So go for it guys.

Use phpBB, there are a lot of windows xp skins for that if you don't want to make one. Maybe you should try not using mambo?

Ariw2003net aka AriX is right you should use phpBB for that site since it's starting up. And all that mambo source throw it away not to be mean but mambo isn't good come up with something that is true and it's own style. Also phpBB has a lot of good skins.

A bit of advice:

1. Don't share around your website before it's done. It is usually crappy before it's done, and people will remember how crap it was when they first saw it and never go back. That happened with iEmulations by James and Cyberwoofer (friend of mine).

Think about it, you wouldn't have a clue that I was putting together an aqua community website with a friend, would you?

2. Keep looking for the perfect portal, forums, etc. - Don't just install one and stick with it. Try out lots of them. I have used Drupal, Mambo, and lots of others, loved them when I started off, and hated them a day later. I have finally decided to use IPB Portal, which comes with Invision Power Board (Forums). Unfortunatley, IPB isn't free. Since you can have add-ons for IPB, I am using IPB for my entire website. I have got IPB, Invision Gallery and lots of mods. (Such as D2-Custom Pages, D2-Downloads, etc)

3. Get a domain. Not a TK, a cjb.net, no fake ones, but a real domain. Seriously, they cost close to nothing. It's roughly $15 AUD here, in the USA you can get them for $6.

4. Make your own skin. It looks stupid if you have a website that you want to be good and well known to the nerds, but use other people's work.

That's all for now. Good luck.

Oh, BTW, don't use the abrieviation "lol" either, and dont write like you are SMSing somebody, it really looks unprofessional.

~Wuzzie

A bit of advice:

2. Keep looking for the perfect portal, forums, etc. - Don't just install one and stick with it. Try out lots of them. I have used Drupal, Mambo, and lots of others, loved them when I started off, and hated them a day later. I have finally decided to use IPB Portal, which comes with Invision Power Board (Forums). Unfortunatley, IPB isn't free. Since you can have add-ons for IPB, I am using IPB for my entire website. I have got IPB, Invision Gallery and lots of mods. (Such as D2-Custom Pages, D2-Downloads, etc)

Tell TheBigB about that i was telling him we need to switch but no offence hes too lazy to install sumthing else..............I would but he won't let me but i'm going to do it anyway soon.

Well it's good that you opened a site for Luna Windows. But if you want to make it a hit try working hard on it and make it like no other web site like for example osx-e it has it's own style and Aqua Soft it's own hardcore based system that brings back users. You want web content that brings back users and more users not a site that doesn't get users. I believe it will be a hit if worked harded at.

Tips: Get anoter Admin for the site 1 Co-Admin, some mods and users for the site. Also try using different things as Wuzzie said. Try them all and stick with the best one. See Aqua Gero my site is small but me and AriX are working really hard on it when we get the money we are going to buy a domain InvisionBoard for the forums or vBulletin. See that's effort we also make everything ourself so it's really slow but we work hard for are site. That goes for alang owner of osx-e that site started out small and now it's huge everyone started small. :)