A useful widget idea for all those Bittorrent users!

I seriously don't ever DL illegal things but the "Your favorite Bittorrent Client" thread gave me an idea

for Dashboard (and other widget engines).

A widget that shows the progress of your downloads!

Just a little, lite widget that just displays the names of your downloads and the current speed.

Nothing fancy, yet useful.

I don't know how to do it but I can at least contribute the GUI design of the widget.

I'm just a PM away.

(I hope this thread gets some attention :confused: )

Thats actually, quite a handy idea :) - I keep my BT client hidden most of the time and i expose it only to see progress, really. You should post this over at MacThemes as well ;) - with the new widgetmachine.com just being released, who knows, this might be realizable.

There is a Bitcomet and Azureus plugin available for Samurize, so making a widget based on the plugin is a snap ;)

I made one a long time ago (about 4-5 months ago I think), but haven't used it more than a few days. The reason ? The plugin parses an .xml file which is not really updated by the BT client in real time.

Having stale data displayed defeats the purpose of the widget :(

Alright guys, it’s posted on Macthemes.net. Clicky

This will be pretty sweet if this idea is actually realized.

I'm horrible at Photoshop but I'm trying to get a little example of what I've imagined it to be.

Question: Does anyone know if you can make an outline or something similar animated?

For example: a glowing/pulsating blue outline.

I think it would be cool if this widget could display the progress of torrents being downloaded on other pcs

on your local area network. I usually download torrents on my server that sits under the desk but my main

pc is my mac mini so I have to switch the monitor cable every time I want to check on stuff. Also I could just

get a switch or use VNC but it wouldnt be as fun :P

A mock up of something similar is posted on NeoWin.net already (but I've never seen it before). Clicky

The mock-up looks great (I prefer Electric BlueBlack combo over RedBlack).

The round orb is a great idea but when its expanded it looks really cluttered.

Also the mock-up is a "Torrent Downloader" not a "Torrent Progress Viewing...thing."

Okay how bout this..

The orb (just like the mock up) shows the percentage in the middle and the name scrolling near the bottom of the widget.

You press the "i" (or an arrow) on the orb and it expands (like the mock up) and displays the progress of ALL of your downloads (with a scroll bar).

This is a VERY quick mock-up of what I described above Clicky

Ya its ugly but it describes what I'm envisioning. The blue outline can be like a electric blue (animated hopefully) and the ugly blue background can be black (I'm too lazy to change it).

EDIT: I'm glad that this idea is getting attention.

From Macthemes.net (by me):

I thought of another really cool idea. Have the torrents in the drawer be dragable so you can organize them.

The top-most torrent obviously be displayed on the orb.

Also, double click on an element (progress bar, DL speed, etc) and have it organize the torrents in decending order.

Or have a drop out menu at the bottom like this

Phew. I'm on a roll! :D

Also from Macthemes.net (by me):

Contrary to what some people believe, not only do we need coders for this project, we need artists to make the images.

Basically, I really suck at Photoshop.

Funny how this widget was supposed to be simple and light and now its has a lot of planned features and has become marginally complex.

I still believe that it should still be light on system resources.

Lastly, I believe that we can get the widget to display your downloads, but to display your entire LAN's downloads is mind-bogging.

I'll contact the Mac Bittorrent Developer once we have something to show him. My mock-up is embarrassing.

Ciao.

Alright [email protected]!

So now we got an artist on board. Now we just need some coders...and another artist or two, the more the merrier.

All we can ask is that you get out and throw this project around the community so we can get people interested and hopefully get some coders and other artists.

Remember, just have that person PM us or email us at p0w3rmac AT sbcglobal DOT net .