Linux LiveCDs - Installing Software?

It may depend on what distro you have, there are many live cd's you can install to hard drive but if you really want to keep running it from cd there are ways to install programs using a persistant home directory but it's a while since I looked into that.

I would suggest taking a look at these two forums - they were a huge help to me when I started out (and still are).

->LinuxISO.org<-

->LinuxQuestions.org<-

Thanks everyone for responding to my post. I decided to just install Linux on Microsoft VirtualPC 2004. I'm installing Suse Linux 9.1 Personal Edition. That way if I don't like it, I won't have to format my PC. Thanks again for your responses.

Several hours later...

OK. I didn't like Suse Linux 9.1 very much. KDE is just too weird. I installed a Mac theme, but, it's just not the same as the one I have for Windows. :slant:

Guess I'll just stick with Windows for now. :(

Thanks everyone for responding to my post. I decided to just install Linux on Microsoft VirtualPC 2004. I'm installing Suse Linux 9.1 Personal Edition. That way if I don't like it, I won't have to format my PC. Thanks again for your responses.

Several hours later...

OK. I didn't like Suse Linux 9.1 very much. KDE is just too weird. I installed a Mac theme, but, it's just not the same as the one I have for Windows. :slant:

Guess I'll just stick with Windows for now. :(

Linux, my friend, is not for installing Mac themes. For that, stick with Windows.

Second, if you don't like KDE, try GNOME, or XFCE (my favorite), FluxBox, BlackBox, etc. Choice comes to mind.

Third, if Windows is your choice, then so be it.

Well,

I installed Suse Linux Personal Edition 9.1 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. It went successfully well. I was able to start playing around with Linux as soon as the installation finished. Suse was OK. But I still perfer Mac OS X or WindowsXP.

Last night I tried to install Suse Linux Personal Edition 9.1 on VMware Workstation 4. It wouldn't let me install Suse with graphical interface because it said there was a hardware issue or I had less than 94mb RAM, which wasn't true - I dedicated 256mb RAM for VMware. Oh well. VMware stated that they were more Linux friendly than Virtual PC 2004. Virtual PC 2004 ran Suse pretty good. WindowsXP ran slow on Virtual PC 2004, but, it ran extremely well with VMware Workstation 4.

I guess I'll just stick with WindowsXP with my Mac theme until I can afford a Mac. :slant:

Linux, my friend, is not for installing Mac themes. For that, stick with Windows.

Second, if you don't like KDE, try GNOME, or XFCE (my favorite), FluxBox, BlackBox, etc. Choice comes to mind.

Third, if Windows is your choice, then so be it.

Seriously KDE 3.4 beta 2 is clearly better than KDE 3.3 , less crashes (even for a beta) -it just don't like if you add/remove panels for kicker frequently.

And Konqueror is more respective to the standards and it have CSS2 Shadows !!!

Guest Jesus Franco

I wont use KDE agian untill The Krita Project is complete. That looks very promissing and is sure to blow GIMP.

As a KOffice application, Krita should integrate with KDE more tightly than the Gimp could ever hope to do. By following the KDE User Interface Design guidelines, users won't have to switch between user interface paradigms. And, last but not least, different projects can work towards different design goals. The Gimp isn't designed for the creation of original art; it is an image manipulation application, not a paint application. Krita could become that free paint application that is still missing.

Note: Gimp isnt designed for the creation of original art, it is an image manipulation application. :D

I'm sure we have all noticed this. :P

Currently using Fedora Core 3 with Gnome and I only use windows to play my games. I use PhotoShop 7 with wine so no biggie. Games however dont run at full speed. And dont look as good. Except for those games made for linux or that run in linux. :D

I wont use KDE agian untill The Krita Project is complete. That looks very promissing and is sure to blow GIMP.

Note: Gimp isnt designed for the creation of original art, it is an image manipulation application. :D

I'm sure we have all noticed this. :P

Currently using Fedora Core 3 with Gnome and I only use windows to play my games. I use PhotoShop 7 with wine so no biggie. Games however dont run at full speed. And dont look as good. Except for those games made for linux or that run in linux. :D

Quake 3 arena works better on cedega than on native version (mouse problems) but i have with Photohop 7 some fonts error . Can you help me ?

my gnome isn't looking like that and i don't have sound with cedega on gnome.

I prefer Kde for many things , now we need a good Qt Milk Theme.

Your destop is nice lookingbut i still prefer KDE or XFCE (for it's boot time :P)

Why don't you use gnome in english and not in french (correct me if i'm wrong but you were on TEV forum no ?) ?

While Ubuntu is a great distro, especially being a first relase (Warty Warhog) - (Next one is coming in April, called Hoary Hedgehog - I run that), I don't think it is for Linux beginners. First of all, while the installer is just fine for me, it may be a bit intimidating to new users. It's very simple to use in fact, if you know how to deal with partitions and boot loaders, but not for people that install their WinXP out of "recovery cd's" and have never partitioned their drive(s), unless with Partition Magic.

All in all, I think that distro's like SuSE, Mandrake, Xandros et al are better for beginners. However, there may be beginners in Linux that are proficient users in WinXP and may very well be ready to learn a bit or two about Linux as they start. For that purpose, I would recommend Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, et al. Not Gentoo though. Too freakin' long to install (days).