[release] Sage 1.3 skin for Firefox

This is a simple stylesheet replacement for the Sage RSS reader in Firefox.

You can get it here:

ZIP

Instructions:

1.download the zip file using the link above, and extract it somewhere appropriate (your firefox profile folder would suit) .

2. Open firefox, and from the extensions menu, right click sage and go to the options screen.

3. Make sure 'use custom stylesheet' is checked, click browse and navigate to the stylesheet (sage.css) you have just extracted.

4. Click 'OK' and restart firefox.

This is pretty simple, just a nicer looking CSS stylesheet.

Another thing, if you want to add a mac style striped background to your sage feed list so it looks like this:

sage.gif

1. right click the below image, and save it to the chrome folder of your firefox profile (something like: C:documents and settingsUSERApplication DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles***chrome )

menu2.png

2. Add the following to userchrome.css (located in the same folder as above, or accessible using the ChromEdit extension for firefox)

treechildren {

background-image: url(menu2.png) !important;

}

3. Save your userchrome.css file, restart firefox.

4. You should now see the striped background in both your sage background, and all other drop down menus and things like that.

Thanks very much. It was very much an experiment that seemed to work really well. Im going to be releasing some more of these, I have lots of ideas im working on, the next one i have planned is a more aquafied style, which will take advantage of some interesting CSS tricks to offer something a little different to what is currently on offer.

cheers for the comments. The width is really a result of me creating this with my own specific set-up in mind. The next one i make will be geared toward public release, and as such, will be written to adapt to screen size. Im just going to start sorting out some decent aqua style graphics, and I should have the Aqua release done within a week or so.

If anyone has any specific requests, pop them here and they will be considered.

Great work Cloak!! I wonder is there a chance to get feed style a lill bit in a new Safari style with its feauters and look??

If you have a screenshot of something you would like it to look like, I will have a look and bear it in mind for the aqua style skin. I have no Mac :( so I cant check it out for myself!

sure, The reason for the boxes being to the left is that on my set-up the margin on the left is equal to thar on the rtight when i have sage open. As I said before, this is really just something I knocked up for personal use which I thought others might like.

Cheers for the link, though im looking to make something a little more explicitly Aqua than that one. As soon as ive figured out some images and stuff, I'll get to work on it. I should have something to preview by tomorrow night if all goes well.

ok, was just wondering if anyone knew offhand how to make it centered since i don't know how to do it... i'll just root around on the net and figure it out.

thanks for the stylesheet cloak :)

@badseed: the best part of the safari rss is that panel on the right, eh?

the part with adjustable article length, etc... looks a bit more involved than a stylesheet though.

hey thats cool... though it appears buggy. It actually works for me, but the article length slider is missing. Just clicking around on the slider bar will change article length. (couldn't get the install from the mozilla page either, but the author's homepage worked).

I wonder how much of the safari rss style is reproducible on firefox?

Before coming back and reading the comments, I modded Cloak's Sage CSS theme, and as it turns out, addressed some of the suggestions made in this thread. With his permission, I am releasing it here.

I'm not sure exactly what all the things I modified are, but:

- the width of the content is now percentage based and centered.

- the yellow description box is gone and moved beneath the title text.

- the vast majority of the font usage is now Lucida Grande.

- links underline upon hover.

- inline images from posts are now displayed.

- header is now blue instead of grey.

- more miscleaneous things I'm sure.

Any questions or comments can be directed to hills [at] monoculture.net

Enjoy.

Download. 1a

One thing you might look out for is for high resolution computers. Widthwise, percentage resizing of the textboxes works, but the font will be completely unreadable because it's too tiny if you are running, for example, 1920x1200 as I am. Percentage sizing or other may be more effective for fonts as well.

There's really no way to scale the text based on resolution with CSS alone. I would suggest hitting CTRL + repeatedly to find a text size you're comfortable with.

As far as changing pixel based font sizing to em or percentage based units, that's something I can do but wont help you very much.

There's really no way to scale the text based on resolution with CSS alone. I would suggest hitting CTRL + repeatedly to find a text size you're comfortable with.

As far as changing pixel based font sizing to em or percentage based units, that's something I can do but wont help you very much.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to (to %age based units).

Zooming in doesn't work because the text will "spill over" the heights of, for example, the blue titlebar you have at the top of the pages, or widthwise off the textboxes.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to (to %age based units).

Zooming in doesn't work because the text will "spill over" the heights of, for example, the blue titlebar you have at the top of the pages, or widthwise off the textboxes.

I fixed the titlebar so that it expands with the text. Unless you do enlarge your text a ton, it should work perfectly now.

Download 1a.

Let me know.

Great job Guys!! I wonder could somone mod browser.css file so it could match every Hills theme and would change standard RSS button into one that comes from his themes?? Any coder around here who will accept this chelange? For exmp. replace this RSS button into this. Ohh And it would be nice if that button activates when clicked!