Alternative to ObjectBar?

DikDogT

nothing is illegal becuase the product at hand was never patented. It's deemed wrong to rip someones program but if they fail to patent their program I see it as their fault. We all know Mr. Yam would never get the patent so how can something be illegal if in the eyes of the law the product never exisited.

Say a crook robs stolen goods from another crook. You honestly think he would call the authorities? I know exactly what you're saying but being "ILLEGAL" is too strong of a word. I would rather use "Pathetic attempt of one's self worth" to describe aquadock

y'z dock was copyrighted by mr. y, at least according to the readme.

and even if it's not illegal per se, it constitutes, in my opinion, a de facto violation of moral code, i.e. it's morally prohibited, and i use the term "morally" in a manifold sense:

-conventional ethics

-being of the nature of beliefs, and not necessarily of actual existence

-based on a strong belief, albeit with less conviction attendant with positive evidence

but in any case, the distribution of both programs are prohibited, so the bottom line is, the forum would frown upon links to either of them, whatever their relationship.

but anyways, we digress. in short, aqua dock = bad. :)

Originally posted by dreamz@Jul 19 2004, 03:44 AM

y'z dock was copyrighted by mr. y, at least according to the readme.

and even if it's not illegal per se, it constitutes, in my opinion, a de facto violation of moral code, i.e. it's morally prohibited, and i use the term "morally" in a manifold sense:

-conventional ethics

-being of the nature of beliefs, and not necessarily of actual existence

-based on a strong belief, albeit with less conviction attendant with positive evidence

but in any case, the distribution of both programs are prohibited, so the bottom line is, the forum would frown upon links to either of them, whatever their relationship.

but anyways, we digress.  in short, aqua dock = bad. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i completely agree with most of what you've said. and i'm not posting this for sake of argument alone, but when mr. y decided to imitate some designer at apple, wasn't that a de facto violation of moral code as well?

we all benefit from that, without a doubt, and i thank him for it but it doesn't change the fact. and yes, aqua dock - teh suck suck. >.<

What's wrong with you people ? This whole community is based on RIPPING Apple design.Some of the best OS X themes are direct rip of Apple web design or various apps interfaces. Even OS X themers DO NOT HAVE Apple permission on theming OS X and modifying system files. NONE of you have permission from MS to hack 'uxtheme.dll' and

applying NON certified themes.And yet somehow this community became 'permission' driven rant BS...It use to be 'honor amongst thieves' and know I just wait till someone said 'my lawyer will talk to your lawyer...' sh**.

Seriously - WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ?

Originally posted by crni@Jul 19 2004, 12:20 PM

What's wrong with you people ? This whole community is based on RIPPING Apple design.Some of the best OS X themes are direct rip of Apple web design or various apps interfaces. Even OS X themers DO NOT HAVE Apple permission on theming OS X and modifying system files. NONE of you have permission from MS to hack 'uxtheme.dll' and

applying NON certified themes.And yet somehow this community became 'permission' driven rant BS...It use to be 'honor amongst thieves' and know I just wait till someone said 'my lawyer will talk to your lawyer...' sh**.

Seriously - WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes this community seems to be ripping apple's designs, i didn't say that was a bad thing.

i see it as being much like the music scene, of all the arts/design areas, music is where you could get away with ripping each other off the most, and we all benefit from that because it's also allowed us to hear great tracks that wouldn't otherwise exist. that said, in the music community just as you've ripped someone off, you're expected to be ripped off. (sampled to whatever degree).

when i questioned dreamz my point was precisely that; Mr. Y ripped apple, what's wrong with ripping Mr. Y? rip and let rip, no? do what you will to other people what you would have them do to you. (or whatever the actual mantra is)

i did agree with dreamz however, that aqua dock sucks. also, if you haven't noticed, i agree with you :)

• 4 months later...

Well, Objectbar kinda sucks and it's a trial anyway. and i think mine just expired sometime ago.

Anyway, is there a good alternative to it? One that actually works? I think something called "WinMac" once and it never really worked....

So, any suggestions?

Thanks! :D

Trust me, ObjectBar is by far the best, if you don't like that you won't like the alternatives.

True. I sure hope that stardock will improve upon OB, as I find it not always as stable and quite a resource hog. Intuitively it simply doesn't feel finished, more like a beta. But wasn't it announched somewhere here on the boards recently that a new version of OB was coming?

As far as alternatives, you've got Finderbar which is constantly being improved.

Mcbar look promising, but hasn't been updated in a while.

Also see this thread which seems to cover the same question as you.

• 1 month later...

@kludger

---

In OS X you have the finderbar on top, which replaces the menu stuf (file, edit, view, etc) on top of each window, saving up space, and the Dock on the bottom, which contains shortcuts and shows which are currently opened.

In windows you have a taskbar that contains all above,

which gives it less space for the various items on it (shortcuts, tray, time, minimised windows).

That's why many preffer the apple approach arfter using both sollutions. Plus it looks beter.

And...this is an Aqua forum...so why do you wonder the people overhere seem biased towards OS X ?;)