[BETA] FlyakiteOSX v1.0

No you're not dreaming... FlyakiteOSX is officially beta!

Please read the ENTIRE thread before you do anything...

What You Need to Know:

1) This is the beta of the MAIN pack. This pack will not change any text strings or dialogs (except for shut down and log off). Those changes will appear in seperate (much smaller) packs later in the month.

2) If you have a previous version of Flyakite installed, it is HIGHLY recommended to uninstall it first. Those who are using a previous version right now, you will not notice much change. The purpose of this new version is to redesign the way it works.

3) This WILL work on: XP Home, Pro, RTM (no service pack), SP1, SP2, Media Center 2004 & 2005, and Server 2003 Standard, Web, DataCenter, and Enterprise. It is also compatible with ANY language.

4) For testing purposes, I highly recommend turning on system restore. Let the installer create a restore point, and install what you want. If later you want to revert, just use the restore point created. I have tested it and it works perfectly.

5) The beta is only for people who want to help test! I cannot stress that enough. If you want access to the beta just for the pure fact of having it before it's officially released, don't bother. I am looking for people who are willing to help me and provide feedback to make FlyakiteOSX a better product.

Currently Known Issues:

FIXED=(fixed for next beta, not current)

FIXED: On restart the Welcome Screen has a square in the top left corner that shows a portion of the wallpaper. I have NO idea why it's happening but I'm looking into it.

2) Installation time is sometimes reported as negative seconds.

FIXED: Please Wait text displays over "Updating Appearance" image

DOWNLOAD

The link to the beta is given out on request basis only. Meaning, if you would like to test the beta you need to

e-mail me at (flyakite19 @ hotmail) with the subject "FlyakiteOSX Beta Request".

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently Known Issues: 1) On restart the Welcome Screen has a square in the top left corner that shows a portion of the wallpaper. I have NO idea why it's happening but I'm looking into it.

Are you sure it's because of your pack?

I mean I have the same problem and I didn't install your pack, at least not FlyakiteOSX.

it appeared after I started using Logon Studio of Stardock. It seems to have corrupt my logonui.exe file.

Oh yeah, before installing I ran the FlyakiteXP program as I had some other modifications I wanted to to get rid of so I had a clean start. When I installed the FlyakiteOSX, I noticed the shutdown dialogue was not showing properly (see attachment) This is on XP Pro without any SP installed. Originally I had a hacked version of msgina.dll before using FlyakiteXP so might it be something to do with that?

Having a hacked MSGINA.dll definitely might have something to do with it.

Do me a favor and go into C:WINDOWSFlyakiteOSX (it's hidden by default, so you'll have to type it in manually or enable hidden folders). Then go into the Logs folder and send me msgina.dll.txt to my e-mail please.

Hey Flyakite,

I just wanna say great job! Unfortunately, I can't beta test just because I don't have time what with exams, but I do have one suggestion that you can add in, or even include with later packs. I'm not sure if this would be the correct place to post this, but since people are providing you with feedback here on what to change/add in FlyakiteOSX, I figured maybe here could work. Anyway, well my suggestion is, pretty much everyone uses Microsoft Office. Why not modify the Microsoft Office 2003 files to have their proper OSX icons, along with their proper OSX file icons, etc? I can provide you with all icons needed, as well as the .exe files for Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Outlook (all from Microsoft Office: 2003) to provide some assistance.

I'm in between exams right now (which is why I'm never online on MSN), but after my exams are over, I can also provide you with some extra files that might need patching, such as certain .cpl's and whatnot. I remember we had this conversation before, and I sent you some files, but you were confused as to what to use for icons. Anyway,I have some suggestions, among some new things.

Thanks, take care, and good luck with the beta test!!! :D

-UNI0N Jack

Sorry but no, it will only work for Office 2003 because the installer looks for the files in:

Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11 (which is office2003, office10 is XP I believe)

Not to mention even if I had it work for files in the Office 2000 folder, I doubt the resource locations are the exact same)

On another note, Furikuu's problem above has been fixed. It was a slight problem with one dialog resource only on non-English languages, but I fixed it.

man, chris, it's like you read my mind and decided to add the mod so i can stop pissing you off! LOL, well, it worked ;). that's great news! I was trying to modify the files earlier on with the restorator program you sent me, but i was only half successful. thanks again though!

now i suppose my only problem should be the logoff/shutdown dialogs, since i use windowblinds, and so that relies on them being the regular windowsxp size (actually, with flyakiteSP2, the logoff dialog worked fine, but the shutdown was messed). though if i do understand your previous post in the other thread correctly, the shutdown/logoff dialogs come in a seperate pack which is optional to install, am i correct? that should probably solve my problem then, i would think. it would be great if i could choose to install the logoff dialog, but not the shutdown, since thats the one thats always messed.

anyway, thanks again! it really seems like you've really thought this pack out! should be a great reason to reformat :)

I've actually made the office mod a seperate option under "System Files" now, otherwise you had to install all EXE files to get it.

As far as the dialogs, this pack will mod the SHutdown and Logoff dialogs only. However I did not know that WIndowBlinds needed them to be the default xp size to work right.

I'll see about either taking them out or making them an option.

I added them to the main pack because I know even if other people won't use the add-on packs, most still want the logoff and shutdown.

Your other option is of course to tell WindowBlinds to NOT skin those windows and let the pack take care of it instead ;)

Your other option is of course to tell WindowBlinds to NOT skin those windows and let the pack take care of it instead ;)
lol, i'd KILL for an option like that. is it even possible for windowblinds? i have the latest version, but i don't recall seeing an option like that... unless theres a way i can add the logoff/shutdown to the exclusion list. to do that though, i would need to know the file names for both the shutdown and login dialogs thoguh...

Well I guess it's not possible to just disable that feature. Grrr StarDock... if they can add the feature why can't they allow you to NOT use it?

Anyway because of this issue and that so many people use WindowBlinds, I'm going to pull the logoff and shutdown dialogs from the main pack. This also means you don't get the "Updating Appearance" image in the main pack when changing visual styles.

Oh well.

Hi Chris, just installed in win xp sp2. Everything work fine as it should be. but there one thing aside from the above ("please wait") but i am not sure if the packs causes this. My visual bootloader panther don't work at all.

And also icons of office 2003 apps like excel, word, powerpoing don't look like the real mac version. but i can provide you with that. i will try to send it thru msn messenger.

later this afternoon i will test it on the compaq server p3 850mhz. with os win 2003 server standard edition.

thanks man this will be very useful i hope you finish the dialogs and some icons soon.

Okay I actually just did a bunch of testing and the new version actually works fine with WindowBlinds. It doesn't cause all the problems the old version did.

So I'm going to include it as an option. If you choose to install the shell32, a message box will pop up asking if you want to install the moddified Shut Down screen. If you install DLL files you will get a message box asking if you want to install the moddified Log Off dialog. :)

Okay I actually just did a bunch of testing and the new version actually works fine with WindowBlinds. It doesn't cause all the problems the old version did.

So I'm going to include it as an option. If you choose to install the shell32, a message box will pop up asking if you want to install the moddified Shut Down screen. If you install DLL files you will get a message box asking if you want to install the moddified Log Off dialog. :)

wow, that would be incredible!! what are the windows looking like? are they of a different size or anything? for reference, this is what i am experiencing with FlyakiteSP2. note also the size difference between the logoff and shutdown dialogs, though that size difference may be irrelevant.

w4csldialogs.jpg