[preview] Rk Dock

Hi all,

Considering that Y'z Dock has stopped I decided that I will make a Dock application myself which of course will also be free. Of course the app is now in early alpha stage but I would like you to tell me what features would you like it to have.

here's 2 early screenshots:

---------------------

The Topic Has Been Retagged

// Seph

post-9588-1095930347_thumb.png

post-49-1095930347_thumb.png

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea.

- Avoid cease and desist letter from Apple by not being overly accurate.

- ObjectDock/YZ-Dock/AveDesk plugin compatibility (not all but choose wisely)

- Or: Docklet programmability API of its own, interface based (pure virtual C++ class or COM) plugins instead of C-API plugins.

- Be, at least partially, open source.

- Avoid ObjectDock+ bloat to be lean and fast.

This looks promising, I wll follow this project with great interest. Like herd said Cease and Disist orders must be avoided (for obvious reasons). It's good that you are going to open to public demand, I can think of a few things I would definetly use on my Y'z Dock if they existed... :blink:

Originally posted by herd@Sep 23 2004, 07:24 AM

Good idea.

- Avoid cease and desist letter from Apple by not being overly accurate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you mad?

That's the whole reason to have the dock.

My suggestion, don't freak out from all the requests, make it as close to OS X as possible BEFORE releasing 'extra' options, and do alot of research on the real dock.

Originally posted by herd@Sep 23 2004, 04:24 AM

- Avoid ObjectDock+ bloat to be lean and fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Objectdock+ isn't THAT bloated. I use it all the time with around 50 icons in it and it doesn't slow my system down. I think this is more like, "Avoid Objectdock+ price bloat." That's the only thing I can see causing hatred amongst people here over it. =p I didn't like objectdock before (I liked moby or Y'z) but I do now with OD+.

Anyway, to the developer I agree with Duckie. Don't let them get to you just work on your project as you see fit. Make it as close as you can get it to the OSX version because we already have 3 docks that are trying to be windows docks but not mimick the OSX version. I however have one suggestion and that is to not bundle OSX resources with the dock or name it dock. Just bundle in original artwork and let the aqua modders aquafy it.

nah they won't scare me away :)

anyway this is what I wanted.

I think I will release a preview version soon so you guys can tell me what you think about the speed, magnification algorithm, etc...

for the beginning i'll use GDI+ as graphic engine and I hope i'll add hardware acceleration later :)

If you hit a wall e.g. with layered windows, GDI+, enumerating thread windows or setting up an object dock / yz-dock compatible plugin system, feel free to ask here, some docklet coders are still around.

Also consider joining SmokeScreen.