I Should Sue

Pfft... man my iMac has constant problems with apps crashing, and everynow and then the system freezes telling me I have to manually reboot it by pressing the power button or what-ever.

Safari definitely has problems. One time I tried logging into a website, and everytime I tried to grab the scrollbar and scroll down, it would crash. If I manually clicked the down scroll arrow or inside the empty bar, it was fine. but if I grabbed the scrollbar and scrolled starting at the top of the page when it was first loaded, it would crash. I'd open it back up, try again, crash. It was annoying as hell.

In all honestly applications probably crash more on my iMac with Panther than they do on my PC with XP Pro.

Originally posted by Mihaly+Sep 17 2004, 12:51 AM-->
QUOTE(Mihaly @ Sep 17 2004, 12:51 AM)
This is just a funny story I  would like to share.  Apple is always going about how Macs never freeze ever and its Windows that freezes.

Guess what happened  :lol:

I was running Bittorrent and iTunes and nothing else and the damn thing froze

I just thought i'd share I find it funny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because many BitTorrent clients are poor ports that can severely leak memory and CPU load, I never leave Tomato Torrent (by far the best client I've used on both Winnie and OS X) for more than a few hours before it reduces the entire system to butter - it'll lower responce time (through CPU usage) dramatically and steadily increase on RAM used.

This is well known among "savvy" Mac users. Also it's pretty generic to rant about it freezing.. What Mac is it? How much RAM? Etc etc..

Exactly what theunknown and sexxi said.

1. BT clients are a nightmare that certainly are not up to par with apple's standards.

2. It would be a stupid marketing move to use words like never on a thing that can so obviously happen. Any system crashes, even the nervous system on human beings, one of the most perfect "systems" around.

Originally posted by twinkikabuki+Sep 17 2004, 05:38 AM-->
QUOTE(twinkikabuki @ Sep 17 2004, 05:38 AM)
I know this guy who works at the Apple store and is is a mac enthusiest.

He told me that the os supposedly doesn't crash, but the apps sure as hell do! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again.. Which apps? Apple's? Third parties? The only Apple apps I've had trouble with have been Safari 1.2, which quit about once a week, Safari 1.3 Developer Beta which quits every time I close the window, and recently Finder chewing up extra CPU usage - but I think this is a 10.3.5 bug and all I have to do is log out then back in.

/Me personally hates it when people post empty comments.

It's really easy to blame the applications for the OS failing to protect it'self from application crashes which should not bring down the whole system on modern OS'. This goes for any modern system that you use. That being said it's also a thing that is pretty much anecdotal because different people have different experiences with different systems. It also has much to do with how you use your computer and how well you maintain it.

I know I haven't geen getting a nice experience with Macintoshes.

In my Computer Art Studio class, we have had four meetings (three which that count because our instructor wasn't there for one of them so we didn't do any work. In fact half of us left one hour into it because we couldn't do anything), on an average, we had 7 of the 17 Mac's (Dualie G4 with Panther) crash per four hour class period.

I know that all computers crash, but it seems that there is some serious problem that is not being addressed by the technicians. They said it may be due to the fonts that we are using, actually I wouldn't doubt it. I see in the dock that there is a program running that has to do with fonts or types. I forget the name, and I know it's not FontBook because that icon is next to it.

you just mean an application crash, or having to do a force restart, wiz?

in the 6 months i've been on os x, i've only had to force restart (hold the power button down awhile, etc.) a couple of times.

as for individual applications, sure, they will crash from time to time, that's a given. but the apps where you may have vital unsaved information such as Office, Adobe apps, etc, these crash pretty much *never*, in my experience.

in contrast, running MS Office on MS Windows I had constant application crashes like the stoned chick from the Switcher commercials.

BitTorrent has crashed my system a few times before (iTunes in the bground).

other than that nothing else has crashed and burned...

There's been a few hangs here and there (virtual pc + not enough ram + me trying to flog my system) but my system has resolved itself.

The iApps behave themselves quite well.

Originally posted by ji eun@Sep 17 2004, 05:36 PM

in the 6 months i've been on os x, i've only had to force restart (hold the power button down awhile, etc.) a couple of times. 

as for individual applications, sure, they will crash from time to time, that's a given.  but the apps where you may have vital unsaved information such as Office, Adobe apps, etc, these crash pretty much *never*, in my experience. 

in contrast, running MS Office on MS Windows I had constant application crashes like the stoned chick from the Switcher commercials.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said, anecodotal. I haven't had nearly as many crashes with that application here in Windows. In fact, Word has yet to crash on me.

Originally posted by ji eun@Sep 17 2004, 06:36 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All had to do a force restart. There have been a few instances where Illustrator CS quit, and you get the error saying it did. But mostly it frezzes and stays there. Sometimes, if you wait it out, you get the Lollipop, but you can't do anything.

Macs do freeze. My friend has the latest model of the G4's. But it allways freezes with him. But last week he was listening to iTunes and the system froze. He had to turn it off on the mains coz nothing else worked. Then he booted the system up and the Mac had damaged his HDD. He gave the HDD to me to test with an official Maxtor software and the software said that the HDD had developed bad clusters. So I did a zeros to disk and I got it to work again with my XP machine. So I gave it back to my friend and guess what, the mac buggered the HDD again, it didnt freeze this time.

And the most ironic thing is that he allways says Windows suck they allways freeze, and I ask him 'have U tried XP?' and he sais NO!!! :D

Me i'll never buy a Mac, i'll just stick with my AMD 64 PC.

Sky

That is supposed to mean that if you dont take care of the Mac Os system it gets fuxored like any other.

Permissions, for example, those need to be repaired after each security update but people dont know/do that and then the comps get fuxored. See?

Originally posted by skyliner34@Sep 21 2004, 12:07 PM

My friend allways looks after his OS, but it still gets buggered. He said the next computer for him will be a PC, I finally got him to use XP Pro SP2 today and he admited that its better than his Panther and Tiger setup.

Sky

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

How much does the guinness world record comitee give to record breakers, guys?