Finderbar Add-on For Windows Taskbar

Hello I am frustrated to say the least. I had it the way I thought it should be ,instead of fixing the clock problem I have a bigger one which was posted by another member. I rebooted with the setting without the mac clock and then the whole finder bar flashed and disappeared and now I dont know what to do. I tried to trouble shoot with what you suggested I did delete the previous version with the finderbar ini files backed up- reinstalled previous version and still have the same problem

Yikes I am so confused I am ready to just delete both versions what I am doing wrong ?

Also I did try what some other member suggested about tclock2 and that did not work either it crashed my explorer each time I deleted the process from task manager and what site was it from?I retrieved it from an unofficial site and I think it is corrupt also .

thanks for all the help you have given me thus far I surely appreciate it. any further advice on what to do would be appreciated also

Thanks

Kftrainer

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a way, that the symbols start right next to the 'finderbar'?

Yes, you can make the Windows QuickLaunch bar soooo long as the finderbar's main window. Then you can see all tasks.

2one_time: First BIG THANKS for the list of system calls, it is very usefull! I'll add the possibility to increase the number of customapptolaunch in final release 1.3.

under the apple menu 'Recent Items' does not show applications.

Yes I have it too. I'll try to fix it.

2kftrainer: Have you use the new version 1.3 or old version 1.0.3 ? The version 1.3 beta 3 have not the support of clock and intern search. it is realisated in two extern applications: macClock and MacSearch. If you use the version 1.0.3, you get the problems. Be sure that you have the actual version.

So, don't backup any file. Delete all folders with the names "Finderbar" and "MacClock" and all Finderbar's shortcuts in the StartUp folder. Be sure that you have not the runned process "Finderbar_Engine.exe". If yes, kill it. Destroy all non-standart bars (if any) with the names "Titler", "MacClock" and "File Edit... and so on". Reboot for sure.

Download the version 1.3 from my site. Unzip it to the new folder "Finderbar". Do not start it. Download the last update to the version 1.3 beta 3. Unzip it in this folder too (replace files). Start the file Finderbar_Engine.exe. Have you the new "menu bar" in Windows Taskbar? (It is not the "bar", it is the normally child window of Taskbar). See you it? Please report here. If so, you can try to install the second application - MacClock.

-----

The Finderbar use the call of some system DLL to "docking" of main window to Windows Taskbar. I think, that not all versions of Windows have the equal DLL calls, I nave not test it. If some user get not the menu bar and get the "task flashing" only, please say the system info here, operation system number, display settings, video card and drivers. It can be usefull to localisate the problem.

Hello

I did fix the problem,I went and deleted and reinstalled and saved the finderbar ini files and found out that in brainstorming it was my object bar configuratiion was set to "hide taskbar" very simple problem DUHH so thank again for all your advice I am grateful -now how do I make the Mac clock announce the time I get a error message each time I try to load it.

hi Landwer - after starting finderbar, i must ALWAYS perform a (finderbar) reload. If not then when cliking on any menu after the FINDER, all sub-menus are floating all over the desktop. After the reload, then all submenus appear correctly right under the menu name.

what am i doing wrong? the position is at 0 according to the instruction.

[one_time] - ur info is brilliant! thx

cheers ...

qhnM6805b

99% of the time on my startup I have to re-skin finderbar or maclock or both because it looks like they are displaying more then one instance on top of each other. I literally see two of each haha. It's annoying but not a huge issue... just a quick right-click and 'skin it!' works. I thought for some reason I may be running the processes twice but that's not the case. My gut says it has something to do with RKLauncher because the erroneous display seems to happen when it lanches. That's sheer speculation though... It could be anything really for all I know. What processes are you running on startup? Perhaps we can nail down the issue. Here's my hijack log FYI.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 2:37:29 PM, on 08/05/2006

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5335.0005)

Running processes:

C:WINDOWSSystem32smss.exe session manager subsytem -Microsoft

C:WINDOWSsystem32winlogon.exe Microsoft

C:WINDOWSsystem32services.exe Microsoft

C:WINDOWSsystem32lsass.exe Microsoft

C:WINDOWSsystem32svchost.exe Microsoft

C:WINDOWSSystem32svchost.exe Microsoft

E:SPFsmc.exe Sygate Firewallt

E:AvastaswUpdSv.exe Avast Anti-virus

E:AvastashServ.exe Avast Anti-virus

E:Mr_Postmanwrapperwrapper.exe Hotmail Hack

C:Program FilesJavajre1.5.0_06binjava.exe Sun Java

E:_UTILITIESPerfectDisk7PDSched.exe PerfectDisk7

E:AvastashMaiSv.exe Avast Anti-virus

C:WINDOWSExplorer.EXE Microsoft

E:_UTILITIESPS Tray FactoryPSTrayFactory.exe System Tray Manager

C:Program FilesATI TechnologiesATI.ACEcli.exe Useless ATI process

C:WINDOWSsystem32taskswitch.exe Microsoft

E:AvastashDisp.exe Avast Anti-virus

C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle Desktop SearchGoogleDesktop.exe Google

C:Program FilesCommon FilesLogitechQCDriver3LVCOMS.EXE Useless Logitech Process

C:Program FilesJavajre1.5.0_06binjusched.exe Useless Java Updater

C:Program FilesUberIconUberIcon Manager.exe Ubericon

C:Program FilesWinRollwinroll.exe Winroll

C:Program FilesSearchSpySearchSpyMenu.exe SearchSpy -- Best desktop search in conjuction with Google

C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle Desktop SearchGoogleDesktopIndex.exe Google

F:Abyss Web Serverabyssws.exe Abyss Web Server

C:Program FilesMessengermsmsgs.exe Microsoft MSN Messenger

C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle Desktop SearchGoogleDesktopCrawl.exe Google

E:_UTILITIESFinder_BarDesktop4Desktop4ever.exe Finderbar component

E:_UTILITIESFinder_BarMacSoundMacSound.exe Finderbar component

F:Abyss Web Serverdatabasemysqlbinmysqld.exe MYSQL

E:_UTILITIESFinder_BarFinderbar_Engine.exe Finderbar component

E:_UTILITIESFinder_BarMacClock.exe Finderbar component

E:RK_LauncherRKLauncher.exe RKLauncher

C:Program FilesATI TechnologiesATI.ACEcli.exe Useless ATI process

[one_time}

ur gut feeling is good! RKLauncher was the culprit. If i start finderbar AFTER RKLauncher then it is behaving correctly, if not then, as mentioned, i must reload the finderbar to get the submenu to come up under the menu name. mucho thx

now what about the taskbar access? as in my earlier post, i normally have the taskbar hiding. if i move my mouse from the right hand side (windows side) or at top left most then the taskbar comes back fast as it is supposed to do. if i move my mouse from underneath the finderbar side then the taskbar would not come back at all. By left clicking, the sub menus do come up accordingly w/o the main menu. appreciate any input.

cheers ...

unhide is fine :-) then the finderbar is always visible. i even tried to lock/unblock the taskbar, no difference under hiding mode. i am sure that the not-access issue is exactly underneath the finderbar menu. when moving the mouse to the right, the taskbar comes right back on when it passes the finderbar menu's end.

cheers ...

p.s. i see that u r an avast fan as well. my favourite! imo macsearch is better than searchspy, i expand the search options inside macsearch ini file and it is great - NO GDS :-) it is nice to see someone up to date with java engine :-)

Yes I guess so no needed but when I installed the Mac Clock for the first time it did announce it and then all of a sudden I started getting error messages after the reboot

To Lanv- I know you will recommend the Mac Search for obvious reasons but are there known issues that I should be aware of before I install it?

For qhnm68o5b- I dont have RK Launcher for problems I had with the memory factor after I closed the application and rebooted it never saved my setting so I ended up put resetting the settings time after time I deleted it finally .Is there any bug reports that have been fixed recently the the 0.4 beta version

[kftrainer]

macsearch - i can only recommend it. i use searchspy with and without GDS before. W/o gds it hangs many times over. SearchSpy with gds is ok , but then it defeats the purpose of not using it. I expanded the macsearch ini file to capture extra extensions and it has been stable for me. i could hide it and using f12 to toggle on/off - just cool

rklauncher was an issue for me, but now i configure to have finderbar starts up last, no more issue.

cheers ...

I like GDS... the skin that comes with flyakite is rather nice. I have a lot of respect for google since they stood up to the American government and refused to hand over your search queries to them... btw they are the only company to do so... yahoo, AOL, microsoft etc. all caved.

Perhaps I'll give Macsearch a whirl for the fun of it. I'll let y'all know...

Avast's web moniter is awesome.. it stops malware in it's tracks. As a resident anti-virus it's not so hot. You have to invoke scans periodically to insure your system is clean and I've seen it crippled by malicious software before. But overall, for freeware it's rather good.

The only thing about Java is you have to take care to clean uninstall previous versions. For some reason if your not careful you can end up having multiple installs... weird.

my baby... haha

Oversized image linked. -NC

when I installed the Mac Clock for the first time it did announce it and then all of a sudden I started getting error messages after the reboot
You need:

1. Microsoft speech engine and min 1 voice.

2. User rights to run Vbasic scripts

3. Security settings must be low ( to run non sertificated scripts locally )

But... but... stop! I see that I get not announces too! :confused: God! It is a bug?! I'll test it.

To Lanv- I know you will recommend the Mac Search for obvious reasons but are there known issues that I should be aware of before I install it?
First make the System Restore Point (it is not needed, but it is not bad), then install MacSearch and start it with default settings. Wait for discs indexing end (20 sec. - 3 min.). Test the prog, search something. If it work, you can use MacSearch. If not - deinstall it.

rklauncher was an issue for me, but now i configure to have finderbar starts up last, no more issue.
Please report here how to make it, it is interesting for all (and for me too :) )

99% of the time on my startup I have to re-skin finderbar or maclock or both because it looks like they are displaying more then one instance on top of each other. I literally see two of each haha.
Yes you are right, it is my mistake, it will be fixed.

Thank for the advice I did install the Mac Search but now I have a problem with the settings and when i changed the setting to have the application use the hot area in the taskbar it disappeared, although I know it is there because I restart it and it shows that it is there but I cannot see it I will try CTRL-ALT-DEL (task manager) do you think that would reset things back to default and put it back to factory setting help

Thank for the advice I did install the Mac Search but now I have a problem with the settings and when i changed the setting to have the application use the hot area in the taskbar it disappeared, although I know it is there because I restart it and it shows that it is there but I cannot see it I will try CTRL-ALT-DEL (task manager) do you think that would reset things back to default and put it back to factory setting help

It better be in the Macsearch thread...

To use MacSearch with the hot area you must have this area first. It is free spase in some msstyles right from system clock ( see screenshot -- where the cursor arrow) Then you can draw the "pressed state" of this area and switch on this option in the ini file. If you have not the free space for hot area, try to call the search window by press Ctrl+Space (or set other hotkey in Preferences)

[Landver]

like one_time gut's feeling, i looked back to the start up sequence in my autostart list. when finderbar started BEFORE rklauncher then it would be messed (?) up, causing the sub menu to float all over the desktop. I re-arrange the startup list and put finderbar last - voilà - cured, work like a charm. And i am positive that it is rklauncher, if i remove rklauncher out together, does not matter what sequence finderbar started. Just a small quirk. I enjoy rklauncher!

oh, and please, do not forget the quirkyness in accessing the hiding taskbar from underneath the findebar :-)

[one_time]

simple good looking desktop. agreed - i update/generate the VBRD myself once a week.

GDS - just too bloated for my taste, with the expanded macsearch (SearchByKind/SearchByWord/SearchByName.txt) ini, i can get pretty much what i want for the report

[kftrainer]

i set mine to TrayIcon/Single in preference - then use the "always hide" option in the taskbar menu for this icon.

i use f12 to invoke and un/de(?)-invoke the "spotlight" windows. Ctrl-space did not work well for me, every single app use the Ctrl one way or another :-)

so i cannot see the icon, but the service is always there and shows up when i press F12, it will disappear if i press F12 again.

it works stable with my hiding taskbar. Once invoked (f12) i can then access the macsearch properties. Make changes to SearchByName (text editor) if u want to expand the search umbrella., save, restart - :-)

None of the above works I tried F 12 and to no avail even ctrl-space I reinstalled the application from the zip and nothing I dont want to set always hide due the problem I had before with the finderbar menu showing up period -it was my object dock (config was "hide taskbar}which I stated

I dont want to mess with that anymore- do I just delete everything incluiding the zip file and start over again ?

BtW I installledMac Search previously into C folder and it still did not work and I am using the default aqua interface for the finderbar and I dont want to skin it because I am not sure that it will screw up things up again with my finderbar

None of the above works I tried F 12 and to no avail even ctrl-space I reinstalled the application from the zip and nothing I dont want to set always hide due the problem I had before with the finderbar menu showing up period -it was my object dock (config was "hide taskbar}which I stated

I dont want to mess with that anymore- do I just delete everything incluiding the zip file and start over again ?

BtW I installledMac Search previously into C folder and it still did not work and I am using the default aqua interface for the finderbar and I dont want to skin it because I am not sure that it will screw up things up again with my finderbar

would u want me to send u the zip of my working MacSearch directory? It is just pure stuff from Landver with the expanded SearchByName.txt. My screen resolution is 1200x800, and when invoking (F12) the search bar will be by the right hand top screen corner. Just make sure that u run the scan disk first before doing any search.

cheers ...

[one_time}

SearchByKind.txt allows u to add more criteria for search. When u update this u'll see the whole entries in the normal configuration. Make sure that u choose the correct search option in the configuration to match the file that u edit - right click on the MacSearch bar and select search art option by (name or kind).

[kftrainer}

i pm u, do reply back via e-mail so that i can send the zip to u

That would be fine if you can send me the zip file I will try yours Thank you

need ur e-mail address, u can pm it to me.

cheers ...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question--is there a way I can get MacSearch to display on the Finderbar as "Spotlight" or even "Macsearch"? Whenever I use the taskbar shortcut, Finderbar always displays "Shortcut to MacSearch" and I don't know what exactly I need to change to get that to appear differently.