Gfx Oasis, The With Hunt And Kaos Ad

We'll, it's finally come to a head. KaosAD, one of the owners of GFX Oasis, has clenched his iron fist and removed my posting permissions from the site. Good riddance to him, I was removing their sites link from my bookmarks anyway.

The issue was over Lou's latest set of icons, Minimum Inspirat. KaosAD and his crew have labelled Lou a ripper, supposedly infringing on Sasha's copyrights. Let me explain first why they are wrong, and second why this is a danger to the community.

Minimum Inspirat was inspired by the unreleased icon set by Sasha. By the book, it does NOT legally infringe on Sahsas copyright. The Minimum Inspirat set is indeed inspired by Sashas unreleased work, but it is an original set of icons by someone wishing to pay homage to Sashas unreleased work. Take this to court and there is no case. Any artist that makes a living from their work, and deals with contractual imagry, should know this. Was the set in good taste? Perhaps not, but that is NOT the point of this discussion.

The danger comes to the community in that GFX Oasis, as a respected but small community, has labelled an innocent a ripper. In their dislike for the similarities of the two sets (or perhaps to stay in good graces with Sasha) they have thrown reason out the window. Anyone with a dissenting opinion is summarily restricted from posting that opinion. This is the same mentality that led to the Salem witch hunts, an outdated and puritanical set of group gestalt that would sicken any person with self respect. Post at GFX Oasis if you dare, but make sure to fall into Kaos AD's way of thinking or you will be kicked from his site while being flamed by the membership. Months ago I claimed that Kaos AD's handling of open forums was akin to the Nazi's of 1930's Germany. It seems that once again I was proven right.

BTW, Kaos AD, if you're reading this, I make a very nice living from my design work, thank you very much. Care to compare our relative success's in the field? Don't worry about it - I have far more important things in my life than to worry about your Stalinesque opinions. <_<

Originally posted by deadzombie@Aug 14 2004, 03:10 PM

Anyone with a dissenting opinion is summarily restricted from posting that opinion.  Post at GFX Oasis if you dare, but make sure to fall into Kaos AD's way of thinking or you will be kicked from his site.....

hmmmm..... I can attest to this... <_<

i dont know about Kaos Ad and his "witch hunt" you speak of... i havent encountered it...

Here is why i consider this, not a rip but a discourtesy / irrespect:

I wouldn't consider this a rip per se, a rip as it is usually known but just irrespectful. (im talking about the minium inspirat)

There are two reasons that lead me to think this way.

1.- The name... You used the exact same name, same font, same color, just added an "inspirat there". Even if he didnt go to the patents department and registered it as a logo/trademark, using the same name to this extent is emulating the "Brand" name (again, even if it isnt registered)

2.- The timing... You released a tightly inspired set of icons of an UNRELEASED set. The keyword here is unreleased. The main point of a teaser is create expectation, rise up hits to your site to see if its already released, get the name spread on its expectation, typical and basic marketing tool to guarantee a successful launch. By you releasing a set of icons that even if you made from scratch are named the same and look the same (no, im not saying they are the same, they are just the same concept, different angle.) you have watered the flames of the expectation that sascha had created and hence, ruining his (surely successful) release.

Remember that a name is more than just words when you are trying to promote a product/service.

Remember also that the fact that you made them from scratch doesn't mean it cant be considered a rip. Aren't copy watches considered pirated copies (aka rips) of their originals? but they have been made from scratch, far away from the omega/rolex/rado factory.

What i think is that you shouldn't have done this for the above reasons, it is just irrespectful towards sascha. The problem is that it is done, and thus, the best thing i could propose is you dont release anything minium until sascha has released the originals and then, with proper permission from him, release whatever additions you want to make to his set of icons.

I dont consider you a ripper Lou, you know i don't. but as i told you when i saw the release over MSN, i think it wasn't the right thing to do. Aqua soft is built around artists like sascha, like you like all of the talented artists we are blessed with here... we need to protect one another and if you read my reasons carefully youll see that they are just that, reasonable.

Do we really need to have this conversation again though?

For all to see, found in my PM box as I was logging off the site...

KAOS AD:

I've had it with your attitude, I've put up with your mood swings and taking your problems out on others for a long time now. There is no excuse for what you did to BananaMan and your account is suspended indefinitely because this is not the first time you have acted like this. Don't bother to reply to this as I've added you to my blocked list because I don't want to hear your incoherent ramblings.

So I'm moody and incoherent because I have an opinion that conflicts with Herr Kaos? (listens to the sounds of black leather boots march in sync)

To the point, I posted that since GFX Oasis was so concerned about copyright that they would label someone innocent of the crime (ripping is a crime boys and girls) that they should indeed moderate the ripped Doom 3 icon so proudly displayed. The damn icon is little more than a scan of a box top, cleaned up and published. If you're going to set a standard, apply it to everyone.

This could await YOU at GFX Oasis.

First off nice way to run a board DZ, run your mouth over here, I knew it was coming. So you want to drag it out, fine. While we're at it why don't you mention the attacks at Neowin and HWG you have done to new users calling their work **** with no other help at all and being the ass that you are. DZ, anyone that knows you also knows you have problems in the head. You fall off your meds more than you'd like to admit then you publicly call your wife mentally unstable and that she's the one that needs meds, posting about ones own wife like that is proof enough. I've had it with your "god like" attitude and your "I'm back" posts. Call me a Nazi here as much as you like, you already know what I think of your limp attempts at "look at me I'm cool". Who cares, what happened, I pay for the damn site and I don't want your attitude there, attacking poor Bananaman for no reason. Your a sad man and I'll just stay clear of this place since your so involved with it and if you were half as cool as you thought you were, you would do the same.

Runs over to gfxOasis to start a "boo fricken hoo" thread called: "DZ is mad at me, how will I sleep tonight"

Maybe you would me to start a thread about you DZ and AS and the whole apple thing at my forum since you seem so intent on contradicting yourself, but I wouldn't do that to Timan.

If we were bound in our actions only by law, the world wouldn't be a great place. It seems to me the design community demands respect for each other (as does any community).

While in the courtroom, it may be decided that Lou did not rip Sascha's icons, its not hard to see where he got his 'inspiration'. Thus not holding regard for respect for the community. Simple as that, Lou did wrong.

Originally posted by KaosAD@Aug 15 2004, 12:27 AM

First off nice way to run a board DZ, run your mouth over here, I knew it was coming. So you want to drag it out, fine. While we're at it why don't you mention the attacks at Neowin and HWG you have done to new users calling their work **** with no other help at all and being the ass that you are. DZ, anyone that knows you also knows you have problems in the head. You fall off your meds more than you'd like to admit then you publicly call your wife mentally unstable and that she's the one that needs meds, posting about ones own wife like that is proof enough. I've had it with your "god like" attitude and your "I'm back" posts. Call me a Nazi here as much as you like, you already know what I think of your limp attempts at "look at me I'm cool". Who cares, what happened, I pay for the damn site and I don't want your attitude there, attacking poor Bananaman for no reason. Your a sad man and I'll just stay clear of this place since your so involved with it and if you were half as cool as you thought you were, you would do the same.

Runs over to gfxOasis to start a "boo fricken hoo" thread called: "DZ is mad at me, how will I sleep tonight"

Maybe you would me to start a thread about you DZ and AS and the whole apple thing at my forum since you seem so intent on contradicting yourself, but I wouldn't do that to Timan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Kaos, you just proved my point. It was never personal at GFX Oasis until you started in with this type of BS. Instead of discussing this issue you have done nothing but attack my life, ban people that disagree with you and attack my family. Silly man, the whole reason I posted this over here is so you would prove my point. Good job showing your true colors.

I have a very happy life - you can go away now. :)

My only complaints about GFX Oasis are:

1. I only found out about it today

[Registrations]Are open almost every weekend, generally Saturday morning the late Sunday evening (USA EST)

As I live in Australia, how the heck would I be able to register (other than staying up real late).

- Member/Conceptual | Render Status 01%: A new member has access to all forums except Polls and Website Showcase. You do not have access to downloads and you can not upload to the gallery. The PM and Email system is also disabled for new members. If you are a new Member please read the Board Policies and FAQ before posting. In order to advance from this group you need *XX amount of posts.

Strangest policy ever. Why would you ban a new member from using the PM and email systems.

As for what Lou has done, I agree with Seph.

Originally posted by XJOSHATTACKX@Aug 15 2004, 02:03 AM

DeadZombie don't ever compare posting on an internet forum to Salem Witch Hunts or the Nazi Regim. Some people will take offence to that and yes I was one them. Call me sensitive, call me what-you-will but I know people who were killed in Nazi Death Camps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll do as I like, thank you.

WTF is up with everyone thinking they can dictate my behaviour?

I agree with XJOSHATTACKX, comparing a website to Nazis or Communist Russia is simply sensationalist and discredits you.

I also agree with KaosAd in respect to your moodiness. You often post very incoherent and ego filled rants, like in this thread. You leave for 6 months and then come back and complain about stuff that happened over a year ago (or that never happened). IMO, you have a very skewed view of this (and probably other) communities.

It is the community that judges whether something is a rip or not. Different communities will have different opinions. There is no reason to come here and *****.

I'll do as I like, thank you. WTF is up with everyone thinking they can dictate my behaviour?

I hope that was a joke. You can't post whatever you want here. This is a privately owned forum, and Tim can change rules on his strange little whims.

I'm keeping this simple, because this thread has little value. I've put up with many of your threads DZ, but you have no right to be so insulting and raw.

(someone will probably come and reopen this, but oh well)