[release] Flyakitesp1 V6.0

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by ChuckECheeseLi@Aug 15 2004, 08:12 AM

... and now my computer restarts itself immediately after the windows loading screen upon every boot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn, that's the same problem I had when doing a FULL install of Flyakite 6

on WinXP pro sp1 dutch version. With version 5.1 only 'trouble' was aestetic; a mixture of dutch & english language.

But with version 6 I got the same troubles as ChuckECheeseLi describes with the batchmod-solution on sp2. :blink:

Flyakite: is batchmodding v. 6 on XP sp2 possible?

Everyone: any ideas on my trouble with the full install? Why did that work flawlessly on v 5.1 and became a no-go on version 6. What's the difference?

sincere greetings,

wiebeest

picopico and Pineapple Devil,

I had the same thing happen to my computer, I installed it, after about 5 reboots still didn't have any changes to my computer. I decided to unistall it, and came up to a black bootscreen. Hate to tell u both, but to fix it I had to to a fresh install of Windows Xp. I tried the boot disk and got nowhere. I'm not sure why this happened, maybe there's something conflicting. :(

Originally posted by starburst697@Aug 17 2004, 12:21 AM

picopico and Pineapple Devil,

I had the same thing happen to my computer, I installed it, after about 5 reboots still didn't have any changes to my computer. I decided to unistall it, and came up to a black bootscreen. Hate to tell u both, but to fix it I had to to a fresh install of Windows Xp. I tried the boot disk and got nowhere. I'm not sure why this happened, maybe there's something conflicting.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i finally said F it and used the recovery discs that came with the computer. luckily i moved My Documents to my D: and the windows install only affected the C:. However, it did make me create a different user name. Originally I had a user named Jason but it wouldnt let me create another user name Jason after i installed windows again. I had to name it Pineapple Devil. Is there a way i can get that user account back? i looked in user accounts in the control pannel but it isnt there.

Originally posted by wiebeest@Aug 15 2004, 06:10 AM

...But with version 6 I got the same troubles as ChuckECheeseLi describes with the batchmod-solution on sp2.  :blink:

Flyakite: is batchmodding v. 6 on XP sp2 possible?...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well after a fun clean install of windows (finally decided to make an image of my fully installed+updated xp pro system), I did another batchmod with flyakite v6.0, one group of files at a time. First the CPLs, then the EXEs, and then 17 DLLs at a time (excluding shell32 and uxtheme; shell32 I batched before all the other DLLs and uxtheme I replaced). Now my system seems to be successfully and completely patched up, and hasn't died on me.

So yeah, it all seems possible, but I guess from my experience one would benefit from treading carefully.

-Chuck

one other thing... using reshack to look into the ntoskrnl.exe file packaged with v6.0, all I see are the original MS windows bitmaps for the boot screen. Batchmod doesn't give me the proper OS X boot screen, and I was just wondering if anyone knows how the installer applies it so I can mod the files myself.

Thanks!

I just have one request for all authors of the installation packs. Could you replace the Administrative Tools icons? Also then you could add that file to the pack before it's released and that would complete most of the major System icons. And of course also in this release, could you fix the comctl32 file problems that we have with it.

Other than that your pack looks great and of course we all appreciate your time and patience in creating these.

Thanks,

Clotz2000

Hey clotz, yes I'll fix that icon and comctl32.dll in the next release which will be next month.

Unfortunately development has not started on the SP2 version because I am on the road working and will not be back home until about Sept. 13. However a lot is planned for the premiere release of FlyakiteSP2 v1.0.

The installer is going to undergo a lot of tweaks and additions:

--I'm going to develop a test version that will allow choosing every individual file to install, so we'll see how that goes.

--All files will be clean and up-to-date from SP2

--I'm going to redo all of dialogs, change some layouts and etc.

--I'm going to try to add a boot screen for regular processors and for hyper-threaded processors.

--I will develop much better uninstall support and test it in multiple environments to make sure it is working properly

--Will put back the feature to restore the system from the recovery console

--There will be lots more added/fixed/etc. in the release.

I'm also going to fix the mailing list. The web host I have has PHP Safe Mode enabled on the server meaning I can only send out e-mails in small batches, which is being very problematic for me. So my contract is almost over with my current web host. If anyone knows a good web host that does not have Safe Mode enabled for PHP please let me know.

I am ALWAYS open for new suggestions for upcoming versions of my system files. If you have an idea, suggestion or a feature you would like to see added please e-mail me at (flyakite19 @ hotmail). Also if you have a mod or app you would like to contribute to the files those are welcome as well.

P.S. - For those interested, this pack is not 1:1. NO pack is or ever will be. And no Danimators pack is NOT 1:1. I own an iBook, I know what OSX looks like. There is absolutely no way to make the dialogs 1:1. OSX and XP just have different dialogs and different options on different tabs or pages, there's no way around that. The only dialog that comes close to being 1:1 in Danimators is the keyboard properties dialog, and even that's not full 1:1. Yes his dialogs have the cute toolbar at the top, but it's fake. I for one believe in having a good balance between aesthetics and functionality. I don't want my computer to look like OSX if have the eye candy doesn't work. I want it to look good but for everything still to actually work. That would be like owning a protype car from a car show. Yeah it looks awesome, but they have no engine, so you can't drive it. What fun is that?

Hey clotz, yes I'll fix that icon and comctl32.dll in the next release which will be next month.

Unfortunately development has not started on the SP2 version because I am on the road working and will not be back home until about Sept. 13. However a lot is planned for the premiere release of FlyakiteSP2 v1.0.

The installer is going to undergo a lot of tweaks and additions:

--I'm going to develop a test version that will allow choosing every individual file to install, so we'll see how that goes.

--All files will be clean and up-to-date from SP2

--I'm going to redo all of dialogs, change some layouts and etc.

--I'm going to try to add a boot screen for regular processors and for hyper-threaded processors.

--I will develop much better uninstall support and test it in multiple environments to make sure it is working properly

--Will put back the feature to restore the system from the recovery console

--There will be lots more added/fixed/etc. in the release.

I'm also going to fix the mailing list. The web host I have has PHP Safe Mode enabled on the server meaning I can only send out e-mails in small batches, which is being very problematic for me. So my contract is almost over with my current web host. If anyone knows a good web host that does not have Safe Mode enabled for PHP please let me know.

I am ALWAYS open for new suggestions for upcoming versions of my system files. If you have an idea, suggestion or a feature you would like to see added please e-mail me at (flyakite19 @ hotmail). Also if you have a mod or app you would like to contribute to the files those are welcome as well.

P.S. - For those interested, this pack is not 1:1. NO pack is or ever will be. And no Danimators pack is NOT 1:1. I own an iBook, I know what OSX looks like. There is absolutely no way to make the dialogs 1:1. OSX and XP just have different dialogs and different options on different tabs or pages, there's no way around that. The only dialog that comes close to being 1:1 in Danimators is the keyboard properties dialog, and even that's not full 1:1. Yes his dialogs have the cute toolbar at the top, but it's fake. I for one believe in having a good balance between aesthetics and functionality. I don't want my computer to look like OSX if have the eye candy doesn't work. I want it to look good but for everything still to actually work. That would be like owning a protype car from a car show. Yeah it looks awesome, but they have no engine, so you can't drive it. What fun is that?

Alright... so i tried to fallow the info in the other posts and one flyakites site, but nothing is working.

Im still getting locked out of windows, and just getting the blank black screen with just the mouse and nothing else....

I copied the old comctl32.dll file from the backup folder to the system32 folder still get the same problem. I dont know what to do... I even copied the logui.exe file to system32 and still get nothing...

I booted into safe mode with command prompt and was going to do what it says on flyakits page... but command prompt never comes up, so i have been trying to do all of this from the xp recovery consule... so i cant copy all of the .dll files because the copy command doesnt support wildcards....

I wish i knew how to fix this damn thing, kindof makes me mad that this happened... i wasnt going to install it cause there were people getting the same problem. I was just going to wait till sp2 release... but i figured. what the heck i will give it a shot, kindof wish i didnt :(

nah. just update the instalation. then uniinstal and instal again.

oh yea. turning off the antivirus programs help in a more full replacement of the files, and i found out that booting with only the process options, and not starting the services makes it even better. just except the fact that restoration points can't be created.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by flyakite@Aug 24 2004, 01:18 AM

P.S. - For those interested, this pack is not 1:1.  NO pack is or ever will be.  And no Danimators pack is NOT 1:1.  I own an iBook, I know what OSX looks like.  There is absolutely no way to make the dialogs 1:1.  OSX and XP just have different dialogs and different options on different tabs or pages, there's no way around that.  The only dialog that comes close to being 1:1 in Danimators is the keyboard properties dialog, and even that's not full 1:1.  Yes his dialogs have the cute toolbar at the top, but it's fake.  I for one believe in having a good balance between aesthetics and functionality.  I don't want my computer to look like OSX if have the eye candy doesn't work.  I want it to look good but for everything still to actually work.  That would be like owning a protype car from a car show.  Yeah it looks awesome, but they have no engine, so you can't drive it.  What fun is that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just tested Danimators pack for SP2 and I'll be installing yours again. Its what I used in the past v6 SP1 and now that I have installed SP2 I'll just be waiting supportivally for your next release.

Keep up the good work.

Hey Pe8er, yeah I just saw that in the news section this morning. I'll definitely be taking a look at it and incorporating it into the release of FlyakiteSP2.

I've also been laying out the schematics for a new update/patch system for the initial release of SP2. It will allow you to run a small, seperate program that is installed with FlyakiteSP2 and it will display what files have been updated since the installer, and allow you to choose which ones to download. It will also know what you have downloaded so that the next time it is ran it will no longer display the updates you already have.

• 2 weeks later...