Why Do You Like Aqua?

126 members have voted

1. 1.

• Tasty eye candy that rules all!
    • Im [email protected] of l33t Apple pwnzrs.
    • Im Steve Jobs love child.
    • Eh, its ok. I like the people here.
    • Im an Apple spy.
    • Im an M$ spy.
    • Im Bill Gates love child.
    • I hate Aqua, it suxors.
    • I used to like Aqua, got a Mac and now just hang around.

Originally posted by Ludge@Jul 27 2004, 07:15 AM

I came,

I loved aqua and modded accordingly,

I now own a powerbook,

I hang around here thinking "I wish I could try some of these apps on my machine"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

substitute powerbook for iBook >_<

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Ludge@Jul 27 2004, 12:15 AM

I came,

I now own a powerbook,

I hang around here thinking "I wish I could try some of these apps on my machine"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How strange that it needs Windows to push Aqua beyond its limits.

Why am I here? I have no freakin' clue. Aqua's nice, sure, but I've never liked it enough to make it my default VS. I don't use any of the apps available here (though I may give Avedesk a whirl sometime soon), I've never used a Mac and I don't feel underprivelaged due to that fact... there's no logical reason for me to hang around.

And yet, I do.

I'm so screwed in the head.

Originally posted by static@Aug 23 2004, 12:43 AM

it's so lovely! i'd adore to have a real mac to have the real aqua feel :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be like with XP. You have a pentium 1 so you spend all your

time trying to make it look like luna, and then you get XP and you

mod it to look like Aqua :P Then you get a mac and you hit the dead end :)

Originally posted by Timan@Jul 26 2004, 06:25 PM

Blame the thread whores for the death of aqua-soft ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As an adim please respond honestly :D

Does it both you that there is more of other customization then aqua related stuff. I mean look at the screenshots, Aqua is very much here....just that occasionally people use anohter skin for a while when it comes out. And even if they dont have the panther look many (and I man MANY) have a Apple logo on ther taks bar :blink: Also many people use ported ShapShifter skins. :naughty:

Originally posted by Ludge+Jul 26 2004, 11:15 PM-->
QUOTE(Ludge @ Jul 26 2004, 11:15 PM)
I came,

I now own a powerbook,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nearly the same for me. but i never 'loved' aqua. it was pretty nice, like other styles, but i didn't like the focus on it. on the other hand, this focus on aqua resulted in perfectionism (does this word exists?), which was the reason why the discussion on A-S were much more about details than on other sites. That's why i stayed here. (long time read-only and now with - let's say - limited posting efforts)

in a way, i'm really angry about Ave releasing new AveDesk-version, just when i got my Powerbook. now i'm still lurking here about 2 hours per day instead of just being happy mit MacOS X. :-/

i installed konfabulator the first day and was really sad about it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Originally posted by Null8Fuffzehn@

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/index.php?s...ndpost&p=210132

please wait until 24th July.

AveDesk was released on Jul 24 2004, 10:05 PM (source: http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/index.php?s...dpost&p=213494). And now you are angry with me :cry: :cry:

Aqua is...

Stylish fresh translucent blue gel

on a glossy white marble

XP is...

Childish big buttons

Big green start button

'nuff said

Who's the boss :brucelee: I rest my case

If OS X would be available on x86 I'd go out and buy it instantly.

Or if a mac had all the games the x86 has I'd buy a mac

Since both of the above will probably not gonna happen

our best bet is the modding scene that is Aquasoft/ AquaXP

...or hope PearPC keeps on improving so OS X can be ours on x86!

:naughty:

I started this thread to see where the community was at, and it's nice to see that even though the Aqua look is still popular, what keeps many people around is the quality of the community.

I was recently talking to an industry insider about Aqua-Soft, and they said something very interesting; "I think it is

the community's best site now for a place where developers can get together." And after watching the active topics for awhile, I realized this person was right. This site is less about Aqua and more about innovation in customization. I counted no less than ten new applications released here in the space of ten weeks. Wow.

Yet my friend had a few other things to say about Aqua-Soft, and although it's not the best realization, I feel he's also right; "From an outsider's point of view, one shift I've seen that is a bit surprising is the dramatic shift to "freeware bias". Whereas before, Aqua-Soft was largely about bringing the beauty of MacOS X to Windows, now it's migrated into being a "freeware eye candy stuff".

What I don't like about that is that it makes the site feel like a "Oh, can't afford a Mac? Well here's some free junk you can use to make Windows look like a Mac." I never felt that that was the idea behind Aqua-Soft."

Ouch. Tough, but true to an extent.

And that, my friends, is the reason Timmy has re-instated my Moderation abilities. This place is about more than just "freeware junk". Make no mistake, some of the freeware here is amazing and beautiful, but its about so much more than that here. Both of us agreed that the negative reactions to ALL developers must end, quickly, for the communities sake. We have always placed QUALITY above everything else here at Aqua-Soft. Quality of skins, icons and ATTITUDE. We may evolve past the "beauty of OSX", but we must always keep our dedication to that beauty at the forefront of our thinking.

The theme of this thread is community. So let's all dedicate ourselves to raising the standards once again. Be positive to all developers, after all, they are working for you. Maintain the future of this community. I have great faith in EVERY member here. That must be why I keep being drawn back, time and again. :)

I like A-S for the reasons that there are great developers of themes and all this mod stuff just rocks... besides windows seems just plain for users that have been using it for quite a long time.

Aqua is nice... but since i seen the milk theme it was just instant... it's great here... not to mention that the personalities and the help is just awesome.

Originally posted by deadzombie+Aug 25 2004, 08:09 PM-->
QUOTE(deadzombie @ Aug 25 2004, 08:09 PM)
[snip]

I was recently talking to an industry insider about Aqua-Soft, and they said something very interesting; "I think it is

the community's best site now for a place where developers can get together." And after watching the active topics for awhile, I realized this person was right.

I guess that's why I hang around here that much - development of eye candy apps

is such a huge task that it's best done in teamwork. The industry can afford a large

staff of coders, designers and project managers and so should do the community.

Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 08:09 PM

[snip]

What I don't like about that is that it makes the site feel like a  "Oh, can't afford a Mac? Well here's some free junk you can use to make Windows look like a Mac." I never felt that that was the idea behind Aqua-Soft."

[snip]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The freeness of these apps doesn't come for free. Sure, a leecher can come here,

grab all the stuff in minutes and clutter the forums with questions already

answered or pinned. Since frequent users invest time, act as beta-testers, provide

skins or ideas, they contribute and somehow, invest time and effort to turn these

apps in something beyond "free junk". Several users have expressed their

wish to pay, others have donated via PayPal and others are waiting for the service

to come available at their countries. (The non-credit-card owners outside US in

general) So I see the "free junk" as a false impression.

I expect some of these Apps to become shareware, others even open source

while remaining donationware and I couldn't care less about the leechers.

• 1 month later...

i'm not so fond of aqua that i would go out of my way to mod by box to appear like mac os. BUT the reason i hang around here so much is because as a community you guys are great, and i do find the applications created by the generous developers very very useful.

i use the dock because i find it makes my life easier; - in a way, i suppose you could say that i like how Aqua behaves, and not how it looks. (although i dont dislike it, i'm simply impartial to it). i've been looking for a finder port, but i haven't used any of the available ones for a few reasons - they focus on the aesthetics rather than emulate the behaviour of it (ie performance isn't too good). that said, i'd be disturbingly happy if someone just hacked explorer so it could give us 3 panel browsing.

my 2c