[question] About Od

hey guys just some general questions about the dock now that od+ is out and i'm considering buying that. (not the beta though, once it's out of beta)

1. does the current free dock use hardware acceleration?

2. can i make programs appear in the dock only if they're minimized just like the Apple's dock?

3. have any of you experienced this; when you minimize a window using the minimize button, objectdock has a problem creating a thumbnail of the window? the only workaround i know is to minimize a window by clicking on its icon in objectdock. how do you guys work around it? [caveat: this is random, i cant always reproduce this effect, the only program that this always occurs with is firefox.]

4. does anyone know if they intend to implement the system tray feature in the free version of od?

-

5. *not dock related* how do i change the way windows explorer works so double clicking on a title bar of a window minimizes it rather than maximize it?

1. please don`t post stupid, wierd titles without tags. if i were a mod u`d be getting a warrning by now. u know the rules, ignorance is not an excuse.

2. neither OD nor OD+ use hardware acceleration

3. progs appear in the dock's running programs section only when they`re running

4. it`s how OD works and there is no way around that. someone correct me if i`m wrong

5. You need to ask Jeff about it but i wouldn`t be suprised if they don`t add it in the OD freeware.

6. as far as i know it can`t be done.

Originally posted by Unbeliever@Jul 16 2004, 03:00 PM

1. please don`t post stupid, wierd titles without tags. if i were a mod u`d be getting a warrning by now. u know the rules, ignorance is not an excuse.

2. neither OD nor OD+ use hardware acceleration

3. progs appear in the dock's running programs section only when they`re running

4. it`s how OD works and there is no way around that. someone correct me if i`m wrong

5. You need to ask Jeff about it but i wouldn`t be suprised if they don`t add it in the OD freeware.

6. as far as i know it can`t be done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. i apologize about that, can i edit the title before the mods see it???

2. that bites :(

3. yeah, i meant to ask if it was possible to hide them unless they programs were minimized? [i.e. i'm using firefox now to post this message, and as such the program window is open, so it doesn't appear in the dock. if i minimize firefox, it will appear]

4. i guess its no big deal :)

5. yeah, i really hope he does though! :naughty:

6. dammit.

thanks for the quick reply.

5. *not dock related* how do i change the way windows explorer works so double clicking on a title bar of a window minimizes it rather than maximize it?

if you use Windowblinds, goto User overrides, then Advanced, then change the first option which is the dbl click setting, to minimize window.

Originally posted by my left hand@Jul 16 2004, 08:07 AM

1. i apologize about that, can i edit the title before the mods see it???

2. that bites :(

3. yeah, i meant to ask if it was possible to hide them unless they programs were minimized? [i.e. i'm using firefox now to post this message, and as such the program window is open, so it doesn't appear in the dock. if i minimize firefox, it will appear]

4. i guess its no big deal :)

5. yeah, i really hope he does though!  :naughty:

6. dammit.

thanks for the quick reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3. The area that most people who use the docks on windows who haven't used OSX think is the task area isn't actually the task area on OSX. It actually just shows minimized tasks as you said. But the task area is integrated into the left with the shortcuts so that if the task is not present as a shortcut it shows up and the arrow shows if an icon is a task or if it's a shortcut that hasn't been launched.

There are currently no docks that have options to make then function like that on windows. But it is possible to program them that way if the dock makers wanted to. Like for example, with mobydock what it needs is to be able to put it's task section on the left of the seperator and show arrows under those icons, and then another task section on the right of the seperator set to just show a task thumbnail when a task is minimized. Both parts are possible because the tasks.dll module in litestep can be set to only show minimized tasks.

Please, do not try to be funny in topic titles, try to be Informative that is the keyword here.

Also, tags are there for a reason. Use them, This is a [Question]

PS: Nevermind Unbeliever, he is just irritable because of his sex-transgression surgery wounds.... :P

----------------------------

The Topic Title Has Been Edited

// Seph

LOL you guys rock!

seph, thanks for the topic change, lol i just hope it made you all snicker when you saw it ;)

thanks all for the replies. aow77, no i dont use window blinds unfortunately :(

smoke, thanks for the informative reply! you're spot on about the osx dock, and it sounds like a lot of trouble for the change, now that i think about it, im not sure the benefit(minor aesthetic change) is worth the cost(time&effort).

the two features i want(lol egotistical, i know!) most;

1. hardware acceleration

2. built in system tray

...but they're also the least likely features to be added, lol!

ah well, still a very nice program :)

take care all!

my question about OD+ is if you have a shortcut already on the dock, and you launch it, will it still take up a space in the Tasbkar designated area of the dock?

or can you make it so that the taskbar area only shows icons of programs that are not already in the dock? seems useless to have my shortcuts to my programs if they are going to be doubled in the taskbar area.