[release] Avepreview 2.3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey AV, you rule! :rule:

Your skinning engine is perfect! I hope I will be able to use your skinning engine in my Nexplorer soon :)

By the way, I made my own crappy skinning engine based on your skinning scheme for the time being. Is it ok with you? Also, can I release the next version of NeXplorer with Pe7er's default brushed skin for AvePreview? I already got permission from Pe7er.

( I don't really get the goat jokes by the way)

Hey vneumann, you goat...ehrm... rock too!

By the way, I made my own crappy skinning engine based on your skinning scheme for the time being. Is it ok with you? Also, can I release the next version of NeXplorer with Pe7er's default brushed skin for AvePreview? I already got permission from Pe7er.

Ofcourse, ofcourse :woot:

Maybe I can help you with your skinning engine?

Let me explain how it works.

I am creating 4 layered windows (WS_EX_LAYERED) that I will refer to as borders. Each of these borders is attached to the "main" window. That means, they are positioned so that the left border looks like it is a part of the window, the right border is positioned at the right of the main-form et cetera.

Your main window must have no captionbar or normal window-borders. No,w to make the window being able to be resized/moved, you must implement it all yourself.

Ofcourse you can just send a WM_SYSCOMMAND and HT_CAPTION, but we want to have all the 5 windows (main window + border) to move at the same time.

When moving or resizing, use timers (windows does use timers, WM_SYSTIMER, too for this) and use DeferWindowPos() to move all the 5 windows at the same time.

If you need some code parts, send me a PM,e-mail or IM, and I happily convert them from Delphi to C++ for you.

( I don't really get the goat jokes by the way)

That's a positive point for you, hehe :P

Originally posted by AndreasV@May 11 2004, 07:39 PM

I am creating 4 layered windows (WS_EX_LAYERED) that I will refer to as borders. Each of these borders is attached to the "main" window. That means, they are positioned so that the left border looks like it is a part of the window, the right border is positioned at the right of the main-form et cetera.

Your main window must have no captionbar or normal window-borders. No,w to make the window being able to be resized/moved, you must implement it all yourself.

Ofcourse you can just send a WM_SYSCOMMAND and HT_CAPTION, but we want to have all the 5 windows (main window + border) to move at the same time.

When moving or resizing, use timers (windows does use timers, WM_SYSTIMER, too for this) and use DeferWindowPos() to move all the 5 windows at the same time.

If you need some code parts, send me a PM,e-mail or IM, and I happily convert them from Delphi to C++ for you.

At least I was headed in the rigit direction :)

I also used WS_EX_LAYERED style though I have 8 layered windows( 4 borders and 4 corners , too many ) and processed WM_SIZE and WM_MOVE of the main window.

I tried using DeferWindowPos() but somehow it didn't work . Maybe I should give it another try cause responding to WM_SIZE and WM_MOVE seem a little slow and I sometimes see a small gap appear and disappear while draggin the window.

I don't know how windows uses timers while reszing or moving . Can you perhaps send me a code snippet of resizing and moving ? I think you know my email address.

Thanks

I also used WS_EX_LAYERED style though I have 8 layered windows( 4 borders and 4 corners , too many ) and processed WM_SIZE and WM_MOVE of the main window.

I tried using DeferWindowPos() but somehow it didn't work . Maybe I should give it another try cause responding to WM_SIZE and WM_MOVE seem a little slow and I sometimes see a small gap appear and disappear while draggin the window.

I don't know how windows uses timers while reszing or moving . Can you perhaps send me a code snippet of resizing and moving ? I think you know my email address.

8 layered windows is a bit too much I think. I tried that, and I got noticable slow-downs.

DeferWindowPos-code-snippet:

void onMoveTimer()
{
// grab the current mouse position
               // begPoint is some static/global variable
POINT curPos = {0};
GetCursorPos(&curPos);

if(curPos.x == begPoint.x && curPos.y == begPoint.y)
 return; // no action necessary, because the mouse was not
   // moved

// calculate the new position of the mainWindow, all
// the positions of the borders will be relative to
// this window
int xDiff(begPoint.x - curPos.x);
int yDiff(begPoint.y - curPos.y);

int newWidth(mainWindow.getWidth() );
int newHeight(mainWindow.getHeight() );
int newLeft(mainWindow.getLeft() - xDiff);
int newTop(mainWindow.getTop()   - yDiff);

// update the begPoint-poosition
begPoint = curPos;

// get the sizes of the borders
int leftBorderWidth(mainWindow.getLeftBorder().getWidth() );
int rightBorderWidth(mainWindow.getRightBorder().getWidth() );
int topBorderHeight(mainWindow.getTopBorder().getHeight() );
int bottomBorderHeight(mainWindow.getBottomBorder().getHeight() );

// begin DWP

HDWP def( BeginDeferWindowPos(5) );

DeferWindowPos(def,mainWindow.getHWND(), newLeft, newTop, newWidth, newHeight, SWP_NOZORDER);
// calculate positions of other borders
// etc...
// etc...

// this actually make the windows move
EndDeferWindowPos(def);

// end DWP
}

Ofcourse, you need to capture the mouse too. Also, I tried to do it using the WM_MOUSEMOVE, but this was too slow for me.

Again, If you need the painting routines from me, just say so :-D

Again, If you need the painting routines from me, just say so :-D

Thanks a lot :woot:

I'll use the code in my app.

I think it will take some time till I will be able to make a skinning engine that's completely compatible with yours. I got kinda busier.

By the way,, why do you use two background files , bg.bmp and bg. png ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...