Jump to content

[release] Nexplorer 1.6 Public Beta


Recommended Posts

Hey, guys.

I just decided to release this incomplete beta version to public because I keep

getting PMs wanting beta test version.

!!!BUT THIS CERTAINLY IS NOT a PUBLIC BETA!!!!

What I mean is , if you are not one of the beta testers, you CANNOT post a bug report.

This is to keep number of duplicate reports minimal and get rid of unnecessary whinings.

If you leave a post saying that something doesn't work even though you are not a

beta tester, your post will be ignored and I will ask a moderater to delete it.

Please don't PM me if you are not a beta tester. It has been and will be ignored.

(My message box is full anyway)

And don't forget to read the next post . I will list known problems and how to use

my program.

LIST OF BETA TESTERS

DoubleD , Unbliever, Autumnist, Felix, bzeitler, nightcrawler1089, Binary,

hax0r_foX, mephisto, alilm, Hybrid rainbow and AV.

@ BETA TESTERS

Please avoid duplicate bug reports and let's keep this thread organized so that

I can catch bugs more effectively.

Link to comment
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Known bug lists:

1. Browser may flicker twice when you open a folder

2. There may be a delay when opening a folder with a large number of files.

3. There is no shortcut/link overlay.

4. In column browsing mode, you can't adjust the width of each column.

5. In column mode, if you have a file with a long name, the folder arrow may

disapper and apper randomly.

6. change in a folder may not be updated well. For example, even though you dropped

a file on a folder, it may not appear in the folder. If you suspect that there was a change but don't see it, just hit F5 (refresh).

7. Overall, the disk monitoring is not completely reliable. This doesn't mean that your files will be lost . It just means that change in disk contents may not be well updated.

If this happens, F5 is always your friend :)

8. Column mode can go only 8 levels deep.

9. In a control panel, double-click doesn't work. Right-clik and open works though.

10 Icon spacing may seem too large for some people. This is because your shell Icon size is small ( windows defualt is 32x32) I recommend either using Iconpackager-like programs or tweaking registry to change it to 64x64 or larger .

(I forgot which registry setting it is. Can someone help ?)

(These are what I remember right now. I will add some more later)

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM : Windows XP . 1GHz CPU , 256 MB RAM

It will not work under other OSes.

HOW TO USE NEXPLORER

Everything is quite straightforward.

- The first thing to do after unzipping the file:

Run nexplorer_base.reg . Otherwise, the app will open with a title bar only and you can't add shortcuts.

- Install included Lucida Grande if you don't already have it. Many people complained that they can't see the text but it was the font problem. I will add font option later.

- How to add shortcuts:

Drag any directory over to the shortcut pane. You can do it either from nexplorer itself or windows. It will ask for the name of the shortcut. The default icon is the icon of the folder . If you want to change the icon , you drag a png file or ico file on the shortcut afterwards. I recommend using png cause ico file may look jagged.

- You can drag inside the shortcut panel to rearrange the icons.

If you right-click on one of a shortcut , you can either rename or delete the shortcut.

- How to make links in the home directory:

If you have a folder named "home" in your nexplorer directory, it will automatically start from the directory (unless you use command line parameters )

You make a link (shortcut ) of any folder and then put a number in front of the name.

This number is used to arrange the icons in your home folder but will not be shown.

- Keyboard shortcuts :

When the browser is in focus, hit any of the followings

F5 - Refresh

F2 - Rename

Del - Delete

CTRL -C - COPY

CTRL-X - CUT

CTRL -V - PASTE

If it looks like these keys don't work, it will likely be disk monitoring problem.

Just hit F5.

- Adding color label:

Select one folder or file and hit option button. You will see label options there.

You can't add your custom label for now. These are "Hybrid rainbow"'s label sets.

If you want to remove it , just choose "no color"

The color label option is stored in "label.ini" . If you delete or move a file with a color label, it is not updated accordingly and label.ini file will still have the old entry. It is a good idea to clean up label.ini after you move, rename or delete a file with a color label.

- Preview mode

If you choose preview mode, the icons for png, jpg, gif, bmp files are replaced by their thumbnails. I don't recommend this for a folder with a lot of graphic files

cause it can be really slow.

I will add more to this.

HERE IS THE LINK

Happy beta testing , testers

Link to comment

Let's keep this thread clean.

We (mods) will delete all posts posted by non-betatesters. Read vneumann's posts above carefully before posting.

Betatesters: please carry on :)

-contrasutra, theunknown, Seph, StevieBM and Pe7er

Link to comment
Originally posted by Pe7er@May 3 2004, 02:54 PM

Let's keep this thread clean.

We (mods) will delete all posts posted by non-betatesters. Read vneumann's posts above carefully before posting.

Betatesters: please carry on :)

-contrasutra, theunknown, Seph, StevieBM and Pe7er

Thanks a lot :)

Link to comment

Good work

Heres my first bug report:

This has not been mentioned and it has happened with every version.

When mousing over the back/forward buttons, the line seperating the two disappears and reappears.

browsing seems faster in this version. Still too slow with large folders.

Actually, it was slow the first time... but now It seems much faster browsing large folders. Interesting.

column browsing seems much improved. Default window size is good and they really dont need to be rezizable. Ill post more as I find them.

bzeitler

Link to comment
Originally posted by bzeitler@May 3 2004, 03:33 PM

Good work

Heres my first bug report:

This has not been mentioned and it has happened with every version.

When mousing over the back/forward buttons, the line seperating the two disappears and reappears. 

browsing seems faster in this version.  Still too slow with large folders.

column browsing seems much improved.  Default window size is good and they really dont need to be rezizable.  Ill post more as I find them.

bzeitler

The line problem is probably a skin problem.

Maybe you can fix it by adjusting the button position.

Does it happen with your custom skin too?

About browsing speed, I tried really hard but I couldn't improve it much.

It is mainly because a lot of custom drawing involved for color label and hightlight.png.

I will add options to turn off custom drawing later.

By the way, can you release your skins to people?

Link to comment
Originally posted by vneumann@May 3 2004, 10:40 AM

The line problem is probably a skin problem.

Maybe you can fix it by adjusting the button position.

Does it happen with your custom skin too?

About browsing speed, I tried really hard but I couldn't improve it much.

It is mainly because a lot of custom drawing involved for color label and hightlight.png.

I will add options to turn off custom drawing later.

By the way, can you release your skins to people?

I will take a look at it and see if I can fix it.

I am not at home now, So I cant release the skins until tonight. But I will ;)

Browsing does seem much better.

I fixed the button problem. The were to close together. Looks better now.

Link to comment

I have a couple of bugs:

1. when adding a shortcut to the bar, if you press cancel it still adds it (mentioned previously)

2. Alot of my folders now have the names cut off, so all I see is this:

Program Fi... , My Docum... , Wind...

and also some text is in Bold (the ones with the names cut off) and others are normal which don't seem to get abreviated.

More as I find em - but this seems quite stable on my machine - great work.

[edit] also I can't seem to get preview to work at all on my machine, I've tried a variety and combination of files but nothing changes.

Link to comment
Originally posted by DoubleD@May 3 2004, 11:21 AM

I have a couple of bugs:

[edit] also I can't seem to get preview to work at all on my machine, I've tried a variety and combination of files but nothing changes.

I assume you noticed the right click "preview" feature? Also in the menu now..

Link to comment
Originally posted by DoubleD@May 3 2004, 04:31 PM

Yes I've tried both and a combination of both two - but nothing works :S

Can you do this for me?

First, go to column browsing mode and

tell me what it says in the "kind" section of a preview for png, jpg, gif files.

(I guess at least preview in the column mode works)

About the text cutting bug, it's a font size mismatch problem.

I didn't add font option yet and your default windows font is probably smaller than

the nexplorer font. I will add the option soon.

I will fix the other bug too.

Link to comment
Originally posted by vneumann@May 3 2004, 04:43 PM

Can you do this for me?

First, go to column browsing mode and

tell me what it says in the "kind" section of a preview for png, jpg, gif files. 

(I guess at least preview in the column mode works)

About the text cutting bug, it's a font size mismatch problem.

I didn't add font option yet and your default windows font is probably smaller than

the nexplorer font. I will add the option soon.

I will fix the other bug too.

It says ACDsee6 Png/jpg/gif/bmp etc Image - and yes the images work in preview(colum) mode :D

With regards to the font issue - just think its strange that some folders/files are in normal and others are bold!

Link to comment
Originally posted by DoubleD@May 3 2004, 04:48 PM

It says ACDsee6 Png/jpg/gif/bmp etc Image - and yes the images work in preview(colum) mode :D

With regards to the font issue - just think its strange that some folders/files are in normal and others are bold!

That was the reason. You have acdsee6 as your default viewer and it changed the

file type name. The default is "png image" or "JPEG image".

For simple preview in the normal browsing view, it chekcs the file type and shows preview.

In the column browsing, it uses a different preview engine that is a little slow for many files.

I will try to fix this but I'm afraid it may slow down browsing in the preview mode.

Link to comment
Originally posted by vneumann@May 3 2004, 04:53 PM

That was the reason. You have acdsee6 as your default viewer and it changed the

file type name. The default is "png image" or "JPEG image".

For simple preview in the normal browsing view, it chekcs the file type and shows preview. 

In the column browsing, it uses a different preview engine that is a little slow for many files.

I will try to fix this but I'm afraid it may slow down browsing in the preview mode.

Cant you run the preview from the extension not the file type name???

Or is it that its assigned a program that is the issue? - I know nothing about programming so I'm most probably missing the point ... :S

--------------------

Also how do I re-assign the image profile so that Nexplorer can see the images - i'd rather use Nexplorer than opening Acdsee anyway :D

Link to comment
Originally posted by DoubleD@May 3 2004, 04:58 PM

Cant you run the preview from the extension not the image file???

Or is it that its assigned a program that is the issue? - I know nothing about programming so I'm most probably missing the point ... :S

I first did it but found that some people have

"hide extension for known file types" on.

It's kinda hard to satisfy all the people :)

Link to comment

This isn't so much a bug as an issue... when I start up Nexplorer it is running at about 5meg - after 2/3 minutes use it is upto 18meg!

I'm going to do some longer run tests to see what happens......

it doesnt affect anything - just wondering why it would jump by so much?

Link to comment
Originally posted by DoubleD@May 3 2004, 05:11 PM

This isn't so much a bug as an issue... when I start up Nexplorer it is running at about 5meg - after 2/3 minutes use it is upto 18meg!

I'm going to do some longer run tests to see what happens......

it doesnt affect anything - just wondering why it would jump by so much?

I guess 15~20 MB is normal. There may be some memory leak but not not much.

The startup memory is low because it does some background cleaning.

If you are concerned about memory, try this. Minimize and resotre the app.

The app should less physical memory but more in the page file.

Link to comment
Originally posted by vneumann@May 3 2004, 05:18 PM

I guess 15~20 MB is normal. There may be some memory leak but not not much.

The startup memory is low because it does some background cleaning.

If you are concerned about memory, try this. Minimize and resotre the app.

The app should less physical memory but more in the page file.

I wasnt worried - I have 800meg on my system - just was concenred if it kept climbing or reached a point where it was running 'at maximum' - trying to cover all bases to help out :D

and yes minimizing and restoring seems to reset it.

Link to comment

could you make it so that it does not read into zip files in column browsing mode. When scrolling with the arrow keys, it tries to read into each zip file, which makes it realy slow. Or you could ad a delay of like one second before the item is opened in the next window, that way we could keep browsing down with the arrow keys without waiting. This would be good for browsing past large folders also.

What do you think. Is this to hard to do?

Thanks vneumman

also,

when in control panel

double clicking on items does not open them.

Link to comment

Hum very nice

1st bug to report of my part is:

1. When I edit a shortcut name, and finish the renaming, on the shortcut bar, there is a black line that follows the mouse up and down. gets fixed when we click outside of the shortcut bar

2. Why are the collums soo large in Panel view?? It should adjust automaticly with the space that it needs

3. when we double click in a folder in Panel view all the previous collums dissapear

Link to comment
Originally posted by bzeitler@May 3 2004, 05:58 PM

shouldnt that happen?  single clicking would show the next folder, while a double click would open the folder you are in.

Agreed - this is how I would prefer it to work also.

Also the Control Panel bug has already been discussed and you can bypass the buy by right clicking and selecting 'open'.

Link to comment

3 things:

1) Parentheses don't display well. Specifically, the end parenthesis looks smaller than the open 1.

2) In column and list-view, the 1/2 fraction doesn't show. For example, 3 1/2 floppy A. All I get is a square box

3) When going from one folder to a large folder, the (normal text) labels from the old folder stay briefly. What ends up happening is that I get part of the old label superimposed over part of the new label. I don't know if this falls under the "delay while opening folder" bug

That's all for now! I'll see if I can find more, but, on the whole, it's a great app!

-nightcrawler1089

Link to comment

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...