Pngs - Help?

sleepy

PNG's are used because they are a smaller file size than having essentially 6 different sizes all the same images and distributing them like that. You cannot use PNG's as icon (with exception of docks), you need to convert them to icon (*.ico). There are numerous thread at this site that explain how to convert them.

Originally posted by wizard@Feb 13 2004, 08:39 PM

PNG's are used because they are a smaller file size than having essentially 6 different sizes all the same images and distributing them like that. You cannot use PNG's as icon (with exception of docks), you need to convert them to icon (*.ico). There are numerous thread at this site that explain how to convert them.

Also, PNGs are open souce and cross platform, so users of OSX and Linux (among others) can use them. :D

Actually, PNGs are often larger than ICOs, because they are lossless. If you are careful with the compression/colors though, you can get them pretty small.

Originally posted by clotz2000@Feb 14 2004, 09:11 PM

I find that Icon Workshop is among the easiest of icon editor programs to use.

It's extremely easy to output the files into different files and it looks inside of sysfiles so you can work on individual icons to create new ones.

Anyways, my 2 cents :)

Clotz

I agree with you, my friend... IW is the easiest, inuitive and, why not, nice looking icon soft I've ever worked with.

It has also a Batch conversion mode that helps not wasting time... It opens natively Mac icon files, without having to add .icns extension to them...

Just perfect... except for the prize.

B.