Announcement: Xwindows Dock 2.0.0.0

BOBAH13

Hello everybody.

I've been starting XWindows Dock 2.0.0.

Why ? Cause I see that people like XWD, people want XWD :) therefore I cannot just leave this without any hesitating.

Anyway, why 2.0.0 ?

2 - it's a new dock, not like before, new features, new animations, new way to programming, new language - new CORE.

0.0 - cause it will be a first version of the second XWD.

Thanks. Vladimir.

Edited by BOBAH13
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As soon as bobah starts releasing the new version, the whole forum will be reorganized to keep sticky topics for this new version apart from the old ones. This way we'll be able to focus on requests, help topics, support stuff and so on for XWD 2.0.0 the same way we do today for v5.6 without mixing them. :)

Not gonna lie, I'm excited. This is going to be excellent and I'll definetly keep a list of the current bugs similar to the stacks.lib/standalonestack/stackdocklet compilation

I'm really glad to hear you're going to continue the project. Your dock is simply amazing and the most useful and functional for workflow of any of the windows docks I've tried to date. (I could just create a stack on the fly by dragging in folders and programs, and yours (and others) stack animations were amazing!) I can't wait to follow the progress on your new version. Wish you the best of luck and success in this.

Already done:

1. Drag&Drop from other apps

2. Drag items inside the dock

3. Poof items, when drag out of the dock

4. 2D mode - support left/top/right/bottom sides

5. 3D mode - support only bottom

6. Reflection - now I've suspend it, cause have problems with it, may in future continue with it

7. Baloon text of the items

8. Execution mode - always run/check it's already running and then active the first window of the app

9. Show as when run app - normal/maximize/minimize

10. Attributes of the item - Arguments/Work directory/Icon/Text/Path...

All what you do is animated :)

and this version will be much closer to the mac's one. I hope I won't have problems with Apple :D

That's all I think, may I've missed something.

Edit:

Not sure, may try to integrate the dock like a shell for windows ? like mac's one, when app open you will see it in the dock, when app takes focus (flash in the task bar) dock also animate (jump) the app's icon. What do you think ?

Edit:

Oh I forgot, now dock can get .ico as well :) and get the largests icons from the apps, so now you won't have (about 90%) problems with bad icons in your dock. What about idea for drop icon/png/jpg and etc into dock's items, I will try to implement it.

Hi Bobah13, this relates to configuring the dock but I really like the ability to drag & drop a PNG onto the dock item to set the item's icon. Would this be easy for you to add? (maybe even if it's just CTRL+Drag&Drop, etc.)

I really enjoy your idea of integrating the dock like a shell for windows, and keeping the functionality Mac Like, but maybe you could approach certain functionality one piece at a time to ensure stability with a feature before adding the next. Having people test the dock on their different platforms will help ensure your program is stable as it gets more complex.

Personally, I would prefer a stable and reliable dock (with smaller feature set,) then a buggy and unrelable dock that features everything and the kitchen sink. A stable dock feels like part of the core OS.

One thing I noticed on XWD v5.6+ is that if you connect an external HardDrive, you cannot unplug (safely remove hardware,) the device with XWD running. But the moment you exit out of the dock, you can disconnect the device on the first try. It constantly reminds me that I have to close out of the dock, disconnect my portable devices, and then re-launch the dock.

Thank you by the way, for posting feature lists such as this. They are fun to read :)

I look forward to hearing more about your progress.

Not sure, may try to integrate the dock like a shell for windows ? like mac's one, when app open you will see it in the dock, when app takes focus (flash in the task bar) dock also animate (jump) the app's icon. What do you think ?

Oh I forgot, now dock can get .ico as well :) and get the largests icons from the apps, so now you won't have (about 90%) problems with bad icons in your dock. What about idea for drop icon/png/jpg and etc into dock's items, I will try to implement it.

Man!!! I think it's a great idea...

(actually it is)

and it's grat news for all of us...

I have all my icons in .png but some people gets tired of looking for new icons :P

but well, I think it would be great to make XWD "part of Windows" B)