Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[release] Automate Sysfile Modding

81 posts in this topic

First of all, I have to say I consider this a public beta release, so be warned that I can't be held responsible if it screws up your system, sets your house on fire or something :) but I need some people to try it out ;)

So whats it all about? Its really not much, but I wrote some NT scripts to aid in resource-hacking system files. Some of you may know the problem: A new, great replacement package is released, but, you have version of WinXP and therefore can't use it, or just some, without more or less extensively res-hacking yourself. So, here's a solution which might save you a good amount of time:

BATCHMOD

Be sure to read the included readme.

The scripts make heavy use of Resource Hacker's and Replacer's capabilities, so you need to get them aswell if you do not already have them (download links are also in the readme).

Let me know if it works for you.

Originally posted by cbw.l4v4@Nov 24 2003, 02:58 AM

First of all, I have to say I consider this a public beta release, so be warned that I can't be held responsible if it screws up your system, sets your house on fire or something :) but I need some people to try it out ;)

So whats it all about? Its really not much, but I wrote some NT scripts to aid in resource-hacking system files. Some of you may know the problem: A new, great replacement package is released, but, you have version of WinXP and therefore can't use it, or just some, without more or less extensively res-hacking yourself. So, here's a solution which might save you a good amount of time:

BATCHMOD

Be sure to read the included readme.

The scripts make heavy use of Resource Hacker's and Replacer's capabilities, so you need to get them aswell if you do not already have them (download links are also in the readme).

Let me know if it works for you.

Thank you man .it's very good.

Thanks alot !!!

that was what i have been looking for !

i replaced the resources from my german sp1 dll´s with flyakites new ones and

it works great...

Hehe, thats what I tested it with on my system also :)

Glad to hear it works as good for others as it works for me :)

and best thing is we can get the system always up to date when microsoft release new patches...

GREAT WORK !

This is the best release i've seen in ages. This makes everything so easy.

Thank you very much!

Sweet, this is a great little proggy. Just tried it, and things went exceedingly well. ThanQ.

TYT

Thaaaanks! (Y)

And I was planning to install english WinXP on weekend. You saved my life. :bow:

Great release! :wub:

No more syntax monsters! No more multilingual system dialogs! No more, I say! :D

...and we owe it all to you:) :bow:

whoa!!!!!!!

thank you...just translated flyakite's system files into geman - no problems...

Oh...souds god (Y)

In the next 10 min i go and will tested it on my PC ...

Big THNX 4 it

Mr. Finch

Hi!

One question: could you change your batch file that not the resources of the modded files will be saved (icons, avis, cursors) but the resources of the original files (the language resources)?

I think this will be the better way to translate a mod pack because if you just add the modded graphic resources to your original files the result is not accurate.

Hope you understand my problem...

Thank you in advance

I've just translated all my sysfiles into Polish (Y)

Works good.

One thing: before doing all of this make sure that the folder windows\system32\dllcache is empty. If not it may cause errors.

Nope it doesn't. I got error with shdsomething.dll and the script aborted. I found this goddamn file in dllcache folder, deleted it and the script went good.

I'm not sure, but isn't a dev-badge missing somewhere in here? hmm....

this is a friggin-cool-kicka##-rule-my-world-and-safe-my-life-app! oh boy, cbw.l4v4, you rule! (I'm not a sexist, but if needed or preferred, I can say "oh girl or boy"...)

First, thanks to all for the kind comments :D

@alphabeta23:

Hi!

One question: could you change your batch file that not the resources of the modded files will be saved (icons, avis, cursors) but the resources of the original files (the language resources)?

I think this will be the better way to translate a mod pack because if you just add the modded graphic resources to your original files the result is not accurate.

Hope you understand my problem...

Thank you in advance

I think it would be no problem to change my scripts to do that - but then it would no longer be possible to re-apply icons/etc to updated system files, which I personally consider a big advantage of my scripts. Just saving the language resources would not do the trick here.

Rather, I could quite easily add an option to extract language resources in addition to all the other stuff, so one could change or translate any text if he/she wanted, and then merge these modified language resources into the system files. If there's enough interest, I'll do it :)

cbw.l4v4, you're the man! No Doube!

BATCHMOD rules my PC! :rule:

Hope there'll be an update when Windows XP SP2 officially released....

Thanks again for this, great, thing........ . . .

-cherrysoul

is a way with batchmod to when i change my system files to spanishh, batchmod changes the dialogs too and not only the icons? sorry my english

-

Hay alguna forma de que Batchmod cuando cambie mis archivos de sistema al español, batchmod no solo cambie los iconos, y cambie los dialogos tambien?

ok im going to use the batchmod so do i put all the Files ihn the source folder ? shat about the Mail and Other folder as well

oh guys:

RTFM

I know, this isn't very polite, but everything is written down. everything is described very well in the readme and it fukking isn't hard to get what to do! argh... :rant: